Advertisement

The Marvel Universe on Disney XD Thread!

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Draco x
User avatar
Zombie Guard
 
Posts: 9024
Likes: 1174 posts
Liked in: 336 posts
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:51 am


Re: The Marvel Universe on Disney XD Thread!

Postby Draco x » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:43 am

Dragavon wrote:No because Kristoff and Doom are competent so then the analogy would be flawed.


You obviously must be Valeria Von Doom as I sense nothing but envy in your comments. :-D :-D :-D :-D

Advertisement

Draco x
User avatar
Zombie Guard
 
Posts: 9024
Likes: 1174 posts
Liked in: 336 posts
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:51 am


Re: The Marvel Universe on Disney XD Thread!

Postby Draco x » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:44 am

fieldy snuts wrote:You know, when I skim through this thread and see everyone complaining at how it's too kid friendly and stupid for adults....it makes me think of some 80's 'classics' that make it look like Shakespeare in comparison. I mean with these the nostalgia factor of us loving them as kids amkes us overlook how godawful these are for us now.:

TMNT - LOVED this as a kid....right up there with Transformers but it got horribly bad past season 1.

Transformers - OK, it has some really great episodes, but most aren't good at all. For every good ep I can pick at least 10 bad ones.

Thundercats & He-Man - Horrible. They were catchphrase shows and nothing more. Boring as hell too.

And yet they became cult faves because we were raised in that generation and were too young to look past the toys they were marketing. Just saying....Ultimate Spider-Man is still 10 times better than those 80's cartoons yet gets savaged in critiques 100 times more..


You had me up till you actually compared USM to the cartoons in the 80's.

Draco x
User avatar
Zombie Guard
 
Posts: 9024
Likes: 1174 posts
Liked in: 336 posts
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:51 am


Re: The Marvel Universe on Disney XD Thread!

Postby Draco x » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:46 am

fieldy snuts wrote:A bar determined by adult standards.


More likely a bar determined by good taste and knowing quality from crap.

Draco x
User avatar
Zombie Guard
 
Posts: 9024
Likes: 1174 posts
Liked in: 336 posts
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:51 am


Re: The Marvel Universe on Disney XD Thread!

Postby Draco x » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:48 am

Tee-Roy'd wrote:
No his tastes in comics related material is way worse than Zechs :wink:


And this from someone who admits that he enjoys watching USM just now? Teapot calling the kettle black, buddy.

troysshr
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 27002
Likes: 953 posts
Liked in: 463 posts
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 7:40 pm
Location: Georgia
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex


Online


Re: The Marvel Universe on Disney XD Thread!

Postby troysshr » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:52 am

draco x wrote:
You had me up till you actually compared USM to the cartoons in the 80's.


Why because USM is about a million times better than any of the cartoons listed above :smt102 All of those shows are looked back on through rose covered nostalgia glasses. I am a huge fan of TMNT, Transformers, Thundercats, He-Man, GI Joe ARAH, etc and I will tell you without a doubt that most of those cartoons are completely horrible if you try to watch them now vs what you remember from your childhood. I was all excited when I heard Thundercats was finally gonna be released on DVD a few years back so I went online to watch a few episodes to prep myself for the the dvd release. I never bought the dvd sets because when I tried to watch the episodes online they were so bad I couldn't even imagine ever even liking the show. I have the entire GI Joe and Transformers series on dvd and 95% of the episodes are completely unwatchable. Those cartoons from that era really are nothing more than 30 minute commercials for the toy lines and that was fine for when I was a kid, but now they are just fond memories but no way am I watching them now. Even my 5 year old thinks the old Masters of the Universe cartoon "sucks" and that is a direct quote.
Image

troysshr
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 27002
Likes: 953 posts
Liked in: 463 posts
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 7:40 pm
Location: Georgia
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex


Online


Re: The Marvel Universe on Disney XD Thread!

Postby troysshr » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:53 am

draco x wrote:
And this from someone who admits that he enjoys watching USM just now? Teapot calling the kettle black, buddy.


I enjoy it because I get to watch my son enjoy it.
Image

Draco x
User avatar
Zombie Guard
 
Posts: 9024
Likes: 1174 posts
Liked in: 336 posts
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:51 am


Re: The Marvel Universe on Disney XD Thread!

Postby Draco x » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:15 am

Tee-Roy'd wrote:
Why because USM is about a million times better than any of the cartoons listed above :smt102 All of those shows are looked back on through rose covered nostalgia glasses. I am a huge fan of TMNT, Transformers, Thundercats, He-Man, GI Joe ARAH, etc and I will tell you without a doubt that most of those cartoons are completely horrible if you try to watch them now vs what you remember from your childhood. I was all excited when I heard Thundercats was finally gonna be released on DVD a few years back so I went online to watch a few episodes to prep myself for the the dvd release. I never bought the dvd sets because when I tried to watch the episodes online they were so bad I couldn't even imagine ever even liking the show. I have the entire GI Joe and Transformers series on dvd and 95% of the episodes are completely unwatchable. Those cartoons from that era really are nothing more than 30 minute commercials for the toy lines and that was fine for when I was a kid, but now they are just fond memories but no way am I watching them now. Even my 5 year old thinks the old Masters of the Universe cartoon "sucks" and that is a direct quote.


I will respectfully disagree with what you said here. Most of the 80's cartoons were not perfect in all fairness but most of them had one thing that worked for them: good writing. USM is not fit to be mentioned in the same breadth as some of those cartoons( In fact I would not mention USM in the same breadth as many other cartoons period). If you were to say Spectacular Spiderman, Avengers: The Earth's Mightiest Heroes or even Wolverine & The X-Men instead then I would agree with you. The fact of the matter is that most cartoons were good back in the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's due to the fact that the animators understood one important thing: how to creatively engage their audiences. Nowadays, the people who make cartoons mostly rely on cheap dialogues and potty humor as good entertainment, making it very obvious that they aren't trying hard anymore or are just out of ideas. Besides, whether or not you like TMNT, Transformers, He-Man, Thundercats, etc, I can guarantee you that Ultimate Spiderman will never be mentioned in the same breadth as they will be in the long run.

Draco x
User avatar
Zombie Guard
 
Posts: 9024
Likes: 1174 posts
Liked in: 336 posts
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:51 am


Re: The Marvel Universe on Disney XD Thread!

Postby Draco x » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:16 am

Tee-Roy'd wrote:
I enjoy it because I get to watch my son enjoy it.


Hey, to each his own I guess. I have my tastes and you have yours so we can agree on that much.

Grayson
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 8503
Likes: 603 posts
Liked in: 1037 posts
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:34 am
Location: The Darkest Timeline
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie


Online


Re: The Marvel Universe on Disney XD Thread!

Postby Grayson » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:18 am

Tee-Roy'd wrote:I have the entire GI Joe and Transformers series on dvd and 95% of the episodes are completely unwatchable.


This is a little off topic but conversely speaking, the original Transformers movie from 1986 is still hands down the best Transformers movie to date. Of course when you see what it's up against, that's like saying that it's the valedictorian of summer school.

troysshr
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 27002
Likes: 953 posts
Liked in: 463 posts
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 7:40 pm
Location: Georgia
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex


Online


Re: The Marvel Universe on Disney XD Thread!

Postby troysshr » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:19 am

draco x wrote:
Hey, to each his own I guess. I have my tastes and you have yours so we can agree on that much.


True indeed.
Image

troysshr
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 27002
Likes: 953 posts
Liked in: 463 posts
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 7:40 pm
Location: Georgia
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex


Online


Re: The Marvel Universe on Disney XD Thread!

Postby troysshr » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:20 am

Sakie wrote:
This is a little off topic but conversely speaking, the original Transformers movie from 1986 is still hands down the best Transformers movie to date. Of course when you see what it's up against, that's like saying that it's the valedictorian of summer school.


:lol: Funny but true.
Image

troysshr
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 27002
Likes: 953 posts
Liked in: 463 posts
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 7:40 pm
Location: Georgia
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex


Online


Re: The Marvel Universe on Disney XD Thread!

Postby troysshr » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:24 am

draco x wrote:
I will respectfully disagree with what you said here. Most of the 80's cartoons were not perfect in all fairness but most of them had one thing that worked for them: good writing. USM is not fit to be mentioned in the same breadth as some of those cartoons( In fact I would not mention USM in the same breadth as many other cartoons period). If you were to say Spectacular Spiderman, Avengers: The Earth's Mightiest Heroes or even Wolverine & The X-Men instead then I would agree with you. The fact of the matter is that most cartoons were good back in the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's due to the fact that the animators understood one important thing: how to creatively engage their audiences. Nowadays, the people who make cartoons mostly rely on cheap dialogues and potty humor as good entertainment, making it very obvious that they aren't trying hard anymore or are just out of ideas. Besides, whether or not you like TMNT, Transformers, He-Man, Thundercats, etc, I can guarantee you that Ultimate Spiderman will never be mentioned in the same breadth as they will be in the long run.


Man have you watched any of those shows recently. The writing on some of the episodes of GI Joe and Transformers is just ridiculously bad on so many levels, and Thundercats and Masters of the Universe is beyond bad. I somewhat agree with your last statement though, but then again I do not. We as comic book nerds, geeks, fanboys, etc remember those shows overly fondly but most of the general people do not at all. The same thing can definitely be said bout Avengers, USM, and all the various toons out now.
Image

Zechs
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 43961
Likes: 142 posts
Liked in: 213 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:10 pm
Location: From Parts Unknown
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D


Online


Re: The Marvel Universe on Disney XD Thread!

Postby Zechs » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:30 pm

Tee-Roy'd wrote:
No his tastes in comics related material is way worse than Zechs :wink:


I just want to say a few things. First off something you yourself said:


Tee-Roy'd wrote:Watching the "Freaky" episode of Ultimate Spider-Man right now and it is hilarious!! This is the best episode of this show so far and I love it! :lol:


I had the exact same opinion. You are now on the same bar as I am. HOW DOES THAT FEEL!!!!
Image
Image

Image


sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Rockman
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 27772
Likes: 136 posts
Liked in: 443 posts
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:25 pm
Formerly: AMS


Re: The Marvel Universe on Disney XD Thread!

Postby Rockman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:46 pm

Sure a lot of 80's cartoons were trash, and it really wasn't more than a crash grab.

I can rewatch old Scooby Doo, the original. The animation is dated but it was a fun show.

Basically all Warner Brothers animation and Disney animation is watchable. Turn on Looney Tunes or a Donald Duck cartoon, that's good stuff.

The 80's was full of 22 minute long commercials that I enjoyed as a kid and I can't stand now. Yes USM is better than all that trash.

I'd probably liked Ultimate Spider-man as a kid sure, but you have a generation of parents who like to watch television with their kids. It's good business to make a product that can be enjoyed by all ages.

Plus when you're in a world where kids shows like Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, Justice League.... Have all existed and paved a way, and the best you can get is this? Well I think it's a shame. Especially since, and I know it's been beaten to death, Spectacular Spider-man ended early for this show. That was easily the best Spider-man show ever.

Plus they had Superhero squad for kids, no one complained about that show quite this much. Because it was designed to run at the same time as any of these other cartoons and not take away a show designed for older audiences.

PDH
penile prisoner
 
Posts: 7241
Likes: 35 posts
Liked in: 71 posts
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:10 am


Re: The Marvel Universe on Disney XD Thread!

Postby PDH » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:53 pm

draco x wrote:I will respectfully disagree with what you said here. Most of the 80's cartoons were not perfect in all fairness but most of them had one thing that worked for them: good writing.


Are you kidding? :lol:

If those cartoons have a saving grace it's the creativity that went into their central premises. Thundercats is pretty insane when you think about it.

Oh and some of the theme tunes rocked.

But the writing was uniformly dreadful!

I will agree that USM is better than most of those shows. However, it's inferior to a lot of modern cartoons like Young Justice and Avengers: EMH and I think at this point we've come to expect a certain quality from these shows.

I did watch the Bendis episode, though, because I liked the story it was adapted from. It was OK but the comic has the same story without all the annoying crap, so you might as well just read that again.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck] and 34 guests

Advertisement