Advertisement

The Movie Advantage DC Might Have Over Marvel

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 166 posts
Title: Ain't enough space bitches

Re: The Movie Advantage DC Might Have Over Marvel

Postby Strict31 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:08 am

I would forcibly exsanguinate all of you for an American Vampire movie. But would that be the sort of thing that could ever serve as a summer blockbuster and compete with an Avengers movie for the summer box office? Well, it just doesn't have enough teenage girls falling in love with werewolves for that.

Rush City might come close to summer blockbuster fare, but it would have its own challenges, like dwelling in the shadow of the Fast and Furious movies. Losers was a decent flick that might have benefited by sticking more to the comic, but I bet most of the seventeen people who saw it never even realized it was based on a DC comic.

I don't see their non-superhero properties ever giving Marvel's superhero properties a run for their money.

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."

Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

Advertisement

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 211 posts

Postby Draco x » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:53 am

Strict31 wrote:I would forcibly exsanguinate all of you for an American Vampire movie. But would that be the sort of thing that could ever serve as a summer blockbuster and compete with an Avengers movie for the summer box office? Well, it just doesn't have enough teenage girls falling in love with werewolves for that.

Rush City might come close to summer blockbuster fare, but it would have its own challenges, like dwelling in the shadow of the Fast and Furious movies. Losers was a decent flick that might have benefited by sticking more to the comic, but I bet most of the seventeen people who saw it never even realized it was based on a DC comic.

I don't see their non-superhero properties ever giving Marvel's superhero properties a run for their money.

I respectfully disagree with some points although I do agree it would be hard for DC to find something to top the Avengers at the moment.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 429 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power

Postby outsider » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:35 am

Strict31 wrote:I don't see their non-superhero properties ever giving Marvel's superhero properties a run for their money.
No, but I could see Disney wanting to test out the 'Marvel' movie brand with some smaller-budget films.
Not that they'd go all-out indie on us, but maybe test the waters with a supernatural-type story that doesn't have superheroes.
-

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 334 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:37 am

Draco x wrote:
Nope. I was saying that if DC tried other genres outside of super-heroes and did it successfully they could give Marvel a run for their money possibly.

You mean like they already have?

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 401 posts

Postby HNutz » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:58 am

Strict31 wrote:I don't see their non-superhero properties ever giving Marvel's superhero properties a run for their money.

Me neither.

I'm not 100% sure about their superhero properties that aren't Superman or Batman, but I'll be happy if I'm wrong.

outsider wrote:No, but I could see Disney wanting to test out the 'Marvel' movie brand with some smaller-budget films.
Not that they'd go all-out indie on us, but maybe test the waters with a supernatural-type story that doesn't have superheroes.

I'd like that.

Maybe "Tomb of Dracula" or "Werewolf by Night" or a new Blade or something...?

Draco x wrote:
Nope. I was saying that if DC tried other genres outside of super-heroes and did it successfully they could give Marvel a run for their money possibly.

e_galston wrote:You mean like they already have?

Yeah, they've already made movies like that.

Draco X wrote:For example, we've had movies like The Losers, Red, Road To Perdition, A History Of Violence, Sgt. Bilko and a few others that didn't have any super-hero elements at all.

I think Marvel will do okay. They won't be "in trouble".
Last edited by HNutz on Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:29 pm

HNutz wrote:Maybe "Tomb of Dracula" or "Werewolf by Night" or a new Blade or something...?
I'd love a Tomb of Dracula, Werewolf by Night or Tales from the Darkhold kind of story, but I'm sure the lackluster result of Man-Thing will shittcan any of Marvel's horror line.
HNutz wrote:I think Marvel will do okay. They won't be "in trouble".
ORLY
-

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 556 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:35 pm

outsider wrote:I'd love a Tomb of Dracula, Werewolf by Night or Tales from the Darkhold kind of story, but I'm sure the lackluster result of Man-Thing will shittcan any of Marvel's horror line.
ORLY

I want to see the casting call Marvel put out to find the models for that cover. "Looking for jailbait, age 13-15, to wear bikinis on comic book cover for nerds to jerk off to."
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:49 pm

e_galston wrote:
You mean like they already have?

Of course but get better at it.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:50 pm

HNutz wrote:
Me neither.

I'm not 100% sure about their superhero properties that aren't Superman or Batman, but I'll be happy if I'm wrong.

I'd like that.

Maybe "Tomb of Dracula" or "Werewolf by Night" or a new Blade or something...?

Yeah, they've already made movies like that.

I think Marvel will do okay. They won't be "in trouble".

I do agree that Marvel won't be fading away anytime soon movie-wise but I would love for DC movie wise to be known more than just Batman or Superman basically.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:50 pm

outsider wrote:No, but I could see Disney wanting to test out the 'Marvel' movie brand with some smaller-budget films.

That would be interesting to pull off.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:15 pm

Draco x wrote:
That would be interesting to pull off.
Damn straight.
I'm full of interesting ideas.
Axe me about my idea for a coffee mug that vibrates.
-

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 104 posts
Title: HRUNK!
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:46 pm

Tell me more about this coffee mug.

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 166 posts
Title: Ain't enough space bitches

Postby Strict31 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:54 pm

Draco x wrote:
I do agree that Marvel won't be fading away anytime soon movie-wise but I would love for DC movie wise to be known more than just Batman or Superman basically.

Well, considering how profitable the various Batman movies have been for them over the years, it's easy to see why they might be gun-shy about taking a chance on anything that isn't Batman. They know that a Batman film will probably do very well. They don't know that a Wonder Woman film will do well. And so, they take the safe bet, making another Batman movie instead of a Flash movie or a Shazam movie.

And if they do try to step out of their comfort zone with a different property that does poorly at the box office (like Green Lantern), they just see it as further evidence that they were right about the Batman property.

Another problem is, when it comes to summer blockbuster type films, studios are more focused on making a successful franchise than they are making a good movie. In this case, they fail to see the tree for the forest. There is such haste defining and guiding their movie plans that the plans do not seem well-planned at all. This is because they're playing catch-up against Marvel, trying to build a movie universe like Marvel did without realizing that the only way it worked for Marvel was to build the concept on a really fuckin' awesome movie.

Without realizing that it took time.

DC wants to rush the process. They want to jam Batfleck and Wonder Woman into a movie that really still needs to focus on Superman.

And sure, Iron Man 2 featured Black Widow in a fairly prominent role. But BW is hardly one of Marvel's own "Trinity". BW hardly reaches the level of prominence as Batman or Wonder Woman, despite being a very cool character. Imagine how different IM2 would have been if Stark had to share screentime with Thor or Captain America, way before either had been established in their own movies. That's what it will be like for Superman to share screentime in MoS2 with Batman and Wonder Woman.

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."

Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 419 posts
Title: The Show Starts In 2 Minutes
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:23 pm

outsider wrote:While DC has a longer list due to the Vertigo line, Marvel still has plenty of non-superhero tales in its repertoire. Look at the Marvel Graphic Novels (the original bunch) - there are several stories ready to adapt for a movie script.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

If only things were like they were a few decades ago. I would have loved to have seen Micronauts, ROM, Strikeforce: Morituri, and Alien Legion.

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 419 posts
Title: The Show Starts In 2 Minutes
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:24 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
I want to see the casting call Marvel put out to find the models for that cover.

I BET YOU WOULD. :smt011

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum