Advertisement

The Movie Advantage DC Might Have Over Marvel

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 427 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: The Movie Advantage DC Might Have Over Marvel

Postby Stephen Day » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:49 pm

sdsichero wrote:If only things were like they were a few decades ago. I would have loved to have seen Micronauts, ROM, Strikeforce: Morituri, and Alien Legion.

I'd love to see a Strikeforce: Morituri TV series.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Advertisement

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 788 posts
Title: It's a thing
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:30 pm

Stephen Day wrote:

YES YOU WOULD

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:38 pm

sdsichero wrote:
YES YOU WOULD

INDEED

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 429 posts

Postby Draco x » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:03 pm

Strict31 wrote:
Well, considering how profitable the various Batman movies have been for them over the years, it's easy to see why they might be gun-shy about taking a chance on anything that isn't Batman. They know that a Batman film will probably do very well. They don't know that a Wonder Woman film will do well. And so, they take the safe bet, making another Batman movie instead of a Flash movie or a Shazam movie.

And if they do try to step out of their comfort zone with a different property that does poorly at the box office (like Green Lantern), they just see it as further evidence that they were right about the Batman property.

Another problem is, when it comes to summer blockbuster type films, studios are more focused on making a successful franchise than they are making a good movie. In this case, they fail to see the tree for the forest. There is such haste defining and guiding their movie plans that the plans do not seem well-planned at all. This is because they're playing catch-up against Marvel, trying to build a movie universe like Marvel did without realizing that the only way it worked for Marvel was to build the concept on a really fuckin' awesome movie.

Without realizing that it took time.

DC wants to rush the process. They want to jam Batfleck and Wonder Woman into a movie that really still needs to focus on Superman.

And sure, Iron Man 2 featured Black Widow in a fairly prominent role. But BW is hardly one of Marvel's own "Trinity". BW hardly reaches the level of prominence as Batman or Wonder Woman, despite being a very cool character. Imagine how different IM2 would have been if Stark had to share screentime with Thor or Captain America, way before either had been established in their own movies. That's what it will be like for Superman to share screentime in MoS2 with Batman and Wonder Woman.

Well the bottomline is that Marvel's success comes from years of good marketing strategy, which is what DC could learn by going outside of the Batman comfort zone. The other thing to bear in mind is that Marvel has had success with various character properties in different mediums without relying on 1 or 2 of them like DC tends to do with Batman and Superman-all it takes is good marketing strategy as I said.
Case in point with the Green Lantern movie was the fact that they cast the wrong actor for the lead role when there were better choices available and the storyline could have been better. My point is that DC/ WB could look into genres rather than just using the super-hero ones and hopefully see where that can go. It wouldn't be an overnight success guarantee but it's worth a try.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:04 pm

Stephen Day wrote:

Did Marvel ever settle the copyright issues with the creators over that book as I do remember reading that there was a dispute over that for year.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:36 pm

Draco x wrote:
Did Marvel ever settle the copyright issues with the creators over that book as I do remember reading that there was a dispute over that for year.

They reissued some reprints about a year or so ago. I wouldn't think that they would be able to do that if there was still some sort of legal problem.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:41 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
They reissued some reprints about a year or so ago. I wouldn't think that they would be able to do that if there was still some sort of legal problem.

Good as I would love to see that book come back.

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 168 posts
Title: Ain't enough space bitches

Postby Strict31 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:23 am

Draco x wrote:
Well the bottomline is that Marvel's success comes from years of good marketing strategy, which is what DC could learn by going outside of the Batman comfort zone. The other thing to bear in mind is that Marvel has had success with various character properties in different mediums without relying on 1 or 2 of them like DC tends to do with Batman and Superman-all it takes is good marketing strategy as I said.
Case in point with the Green Lantern movie was the fact that they cast the wrong actor for the lead role when there were better choices available and the storyline could have been better. My point is that DC/ WB could look into genres rather than just using the super-hero ones and hopefully see where that can go. It wouldn't be an overnight success guarantee but it's worth a try.

Ryan Reynolds wasn't the problem with Green Lantern, though. The problem was that it was a shitty movie. Maybe they could have cast someone better to play Jordan, but that person would have still had to contend with a shitty script.

And my point is that DC/WB does not seem to agree that it's worth a try. They have their comfort zone, and in that comfort zone, the batman films are among the top grossing films of all time. It's hard to argue with that. It may be vital to argue that, for the long-term success of the brand, but hard.

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."

Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 882 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney

Postby outsider » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:30 am

sdsichero wrote:
If only things were like they were a few decades ago. I would have loved to have seen Micronauts, ROM, Strikeforce: Morituri, and Alien Legion.
-

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 119 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:44 pm

Draco x wrote:I was discussing this with Herald and some others on several threads about DC movies and decided to make a thread out of it just now. I had said at various times that the one advantage that DC had over Marvel with movies is that they could go outside the super-hero genre that Marvel tends to focus on primarily. For example, we've had movies like The Losers, Red, Road To Perdition, A History Of Violence, Sgt. Bilko and a few others that didn't have any super-hero elements at all. I was thinking that if DC and WB didn't primarily rely on the Batman or Superman franchises or any other super heroes that they could do easily do other genres than Marvel could. For example I would love to see stuff like Sandman, Trillium, Gemini Blood, Cyberella, Rush City, Scooter, Transmetropolitan, Bloody Mary, Black Lamb, Black Hawks, Frankenstein: Agent Of SHADE and various others. I do theorize that if DC and Warner were to think along these lines and be very successful with this approach that Marvel would be in trouble. Anyone agree or not?

They certainly have a lot of interesting titles they could develop into movies.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:15 pm

Arion wrote:
They certainly have a lot of interesting titles they could develop into movies.

Exactly my point but the people who run DC and WB don't know what to really do with any franchise that isn't Batman or Superman for the most part. I do believe that films like Swamp Thing, Constantine, The Watchmen, Road To Perdition, Red, The Losers and so on were good movies but they sadly underperformed or were barely acknowledged by DC/WB.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:20 pm

Strict31 wrote:

Ryan Reynolds wasn't the problem with Green Lantern, though. The problem was that it was a shitty movie. Maybe they could have cast someone better to play Jordan, but that person would have still had to contend with a shitty script.

And my point is that DC/WB does not seem to agree that it's worth a try. They have their comfort zone, and in that comfort zone, the batman films are among the top grossing films of all time. It's hard to argue with that. It may be vital to argue that, for the long-term success of the brand, but hard.

Which is what I said before that the other problem was the storyline but given how many comicbook films Reynolds starred in that flopped, his casting didn't help much. As for DC/WB, what you said is true but that's part of the problem right there as if they keep only relying on the Bat franchise, that's going to be bad in the long run because at least Marvel doesn't keep relying on one particular character to keep carrying them successfully. I do believe that if WB/DC were run by more competent people they could pretty much show that it's not just about Batman or even Superman but sadly that won't happen anytime soon. Marvel pretty much has it covered in the super hero genre, so I was suggesting DC/WB look to other ones to try their luck in the long term.

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 345 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:55 am

You do realize that DC Comics has ZERO influence over what Warner Brothers does with the characters, right? DC doesnt decide the films WB makes, they're a sub company.

DC has as much to do with WB's movies as Marvel did with Monsters University.

oogy
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 151 posts
Formerly: oogyboy, Elwood P Dowd, OH USER #535

Postby oogy » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:04 am

Draco x wrote:
Exactly my point but the people who run DC and WB don't know what to really do with any franchise that isn't Batman or Superman for the most part. I do believe that films like Swamp Thing, Constantine, The Watchmen, Road To Perdition, Red, The Losers and so on were good movies but they sadly underperformed or were barely acknowledged by DC/WB.

None of those movies were very good, IMO.

Swamp Thing = terrible
Constantine = terrible
Watchmen = meh
Road to Perdition = forgettable
Red = meh
The Losers = forgettable

Stephen Colbert wrote:Everybody knows I don't see race. People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I get pretty good service at the Cracker Barrel.

Ron Swanson wrote:You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 540 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:43 am

I liked Road to Perdition

The Losers is one of the five worst movies I've ever seen in theaters.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum