Advertisement

The Movie Advantage DC Might Have Over Marvel

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 634 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: The Movie Advantage DC Might Have Over Marvel

Postby Grayson » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:52 pm

syxxpakk wrote:So if I'm to understand this, Draco is saying they should do movies like The Losers in addition to Superman/Batman-movies?

His point seems to be fluid throughout this discussion but his original point was that if Warner Bros. were to suddenly shift the focus of future DC property films from the superhero genre to non-superhero genres, then they could/would be so successful that they would eventually begin to cause trouble for Marvel Studios.
ImageImageImage

Advertisement

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 203 posts

Postby Draco x » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:27 pm

Grayson wrote:
You could bring up the previous Captain America films but they wouldn't help your case any because all of the previous Captain America films were produced by companies outside of Marvel Studios. Since Marvel Studios began producing films based on their properties, they have been met with nothing but success. As I pointed out, their least successful movie, which was still a financial success, made more money than Warner Bros. most successful non-Superman or Batman related DC property films. What's interesting to note is that Marvel Studios didn't take the reigns of their film properties they control until 2008 while, with the exception of only a small handful of films, Warner Bros. or one of their subsidiaries has been in control of the entire DC catalogue since 1978. They had a 40 year head start on Marvel and they have done virtually nothing with it! Warner Bros. hasn't shown any signs that they have any intentions of making this dramatic shift in their strategy to adapt their DC properties and as I pointed out previously, even if they did they don't have the track record to support the theory that you are making. Is it possible? Sure. Is it plausible? Absolutely not.

So, your original proposal was that if Warner Bros. were to stop concentrating on their DC superhero franchise and start concentrating on adapting other non-superhero DC properties, that they could potentially become successful enough in their endeavors to cause trouble for Marvel. You followed that proposal by asking us if we agree or disagree. I disagreed and I believe that I have sufficiently provided you with enough evidence to explain why I don't believe that your proposal would be as successful as you believe that it would be.

Simply put, Marvel established a brand by believing in their properties, taking risks, and producing high quality movies. Warner Bros. only believes in 2 of their DC properties, plays it safe, and when they go out of a limb, produce campy schlock films. Warner Bros. doesn't view their comic book properties in the same way that Marvel Studios does and it's evident in their final product.

I never said that DC/ WB should stop making super hero films but focus on other areas that didn't have to do with that genre and all of what you're saying here are just truisms in regards to WB/DC which is blatantly obvious. Hence the reason why Marvel is ahead and DC keeps second banana.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:29 pm

Grayson wrote:
His point seems to be fluid throughout this discussion but his original point was that if Warner Bros. were to suddenly shift the focus of future DC property films from the superhero genre to non-superhero genres, then they could/would be so successful that they would eventually begin to cause trouble for Marvel Studios.

I never said that, buddy. I specifically said that if they were to try it and do it right, they could give Marvel a run for their money in the long term-and I corrected myself by stating that. You're making it sound like this was meant to be an overnight success scheme. I never once said that DC/WB should stop making super hero films at all.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:32 pm

syxxpakk wrote:So if I'm to understand this, Draco is saying they should do movies like The Losers in addition to Superman/Batman-movies?

Nope. I specifically said that they should try different genres outside of super-heroes like they have done before.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:30 pm

syxxpakk wrote:
What non-superhero movies has Marvel done?

Not the point of this thread.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 174 posts

Postby GHERU » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:33 pm

Grayson wrote:

Grayson meet Draco
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:49 pm

GHERU wrote:Grayson meet Draco

Ho hum. You will then reiterate what Grayson and the others said next, right? :D :D

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 634 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:04 pm

Draco x wrote:I never said that DC/ WB should stop making super hero films

I never once said that DC/WB should stop making super hero films at all.

And I never one said that you did. In your original post you said:

I was thinking that if DC and WB didn't primarily rely on the Batman or Superman franchises or any other super heroes that they could do easily do other genres than Marvel could.

So I was simply arguing that point. If Warner Bros. didn't "primarily rely" on Batman, Superman, or any other superheroes, then it stands to reason that they would have to shift the focus of their DC film properties to other genres, which is part of your original argument as well. If you were to go back and reread my replies, I think that you will find that I never once actually implied what you think that I implied. Just that in order to do what your are implying, they would have to dramatically shift the way that they adapt DC properties to film. You posed a question and I answered that question with facts. If that isn't what you wanted, then I'm sorry I brought them into this discussion.

I specifically said that if they were to try it and do it right, they could give Marvel a run for their money in the long term-and I corrected myself by stating that. You're making it sound like this was meant to be an overnight success scheme.

Ok, well in your hypothetical situation Warner Bros. would have to begin adapting a bunch of non-superhero DC properties that are primarily known exclusively to comics fans and are independent of each other over the course of an undetermined amount of time. Meanwhile, Marvel Studios will continue producing movies based on characters that the general public either know about or are associated with characters that they know and are interconnected with the larger, shared Marvel Cinematic Universe. I'm sorry Draco, unless Warner Bros. were to somehow get James Cameron to invent some type of new technology for making a film and then use that to direct one of these hypothetical non-superhero movies, I just don't think that this is the type of scenario that Marvel will ever really have to worry about. And I am saying this knowing that DC has some fantastic non-superhero properties out there that would be amazing on the big screen in one form or the other.

I never said that, buddy.

Don't call me buddy, guy! :x :P
ImageImageImage

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:12 pm

Grayson wrote:

And I never one said that you did. In your original post you said:

So I was simply arguing that point. If Warner Bros. didn't "primarily rely" on Batman, Superman, or any other superheroes, then it stands to reason that they would have to shift the focus of their DC film properties to other genres, which is part of your original argument as well. If you were to go back and reread my replies, I think that you will find that I never once actually implied what you think that I implied. Just that in order to do what your are implying, they would have to dramatically shift the way that they adapt DC properties to film. You posed a question and I answered that question with facts. If that isn't what you wanted, then I'm sorry I brought them into this discussion.

Ok, well in your hypothetical situation Warner Bros. would have to begin adapting a bunch of non-superhero DC properties that are primarily known exclusively to comics fans and are independent of each other over the course of an undetermined amount of time. Meanwhile, Marvel Studios will continue producing movies based on characters that the general public either know about or are associated with characters that they know and are interconnected with the larger, shared Marvel Cinematic Universe. I'm sorry Draco, unless Warner Bros. were to somehow get James Cameron to invent some type of new technology for making a film and then use that to direct one of these hypothetical non-superhero movies, I just don't think that this is the type of scenario that Marvel will ever really have to worry about. And I am saying this knowing that DC has some fantastic non-superhero properties out there that would be amazing on the big screen in one form or the other.

Don't call me buddy, guy! :x :P

Now this is a fair counter argument. Whether or not we completely agree is not the issue but well stated nonetheless. As I said before, my idea is not an overnight success cash-grab but if I were in DC/WB's shoes, I would consider this approach and that's all. Overall, DC has a lot of good properties I would love to see make it to the big screen and be successful.

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 110 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:23 pm

Draco x wrote:
Yep. I specifically said that they should try different genres outside of super-heroes like they have done before.

Fixed.

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:23 pm

Draco x wrote:
Not the point of this thread.

Then why did you bring it up?

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:24 pm

Draco x wrote:
I never said that, buddy. I specifically said that if they were to try it and do it right, they could give Marvel a run for their money in the long term-and I corrected myself by stating that. You're making it sound like this was meant to be an overnight success scheme. I never once said that DC/WB should stop making super hero films at all.

From your original post:

Draco X wrote:I do theorize that if DC and Warner were to think along these lines and be very successful with this approach that Marvel would be in trouble.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:02 am

syxxpakk wrote:
Then why did you bring it up?

Because I knew it would piss of your bosses at DC as I was expecting you to say something on this thread. Nice to know I wasn't disappointed.
Last edited by Draco x on Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:05 am

syxxpakk wrote:
From your original post:

Note I said and be very successful-which implies a possibility, bub. You should have bolded that part before quoting this.

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 74 posts

Postby dairydead » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:01 am

Challenge: Read this thread without getting a headache
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum