Advertisement

The Official Outhouse All Wrestling Thread!

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Shitlord

Re: The Official Outhouse All Wrestling Thread!

Postby Punchy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:46 pm

I like Fan... Dan... Gooooooo...

He's funny.

Advertisement

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1 post
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:53 pm

Tattooed Jesus wrote:Agreed. Everyone complained about Brodus getting stuck with a lame gimmick but Fandango is any worse than the Funkasaurus. Fandango reminds of a really bad Saturday Night Live skit that would have bee done by Chris Kattan.

The problem is, you have these events like last night's RAW where you are reminded about all the gimmicks that used to fill wrestling promotions back in the day. You see guys like Sgt. Slaughter and the Million Dollar Man and it brings back some fond memories of old school wrestling...but then you have to remember for every one of the good gimmicks there was also a Thurman "Sparky" Plugg, a Giant Gonzales, or a Dr. Issac Yankem DDS. Gimmicks can be fun in moderation but there are some that clearly do not have any place in a wrestling ring.
ImageImageImage

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 4 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:58 pm

misac wrote:
I dont' think it's a violation. I think they just get fined for pot.

Yeah, if you fail a test. An arrest for possession is, I believe, a violation.

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:09 pm

Lord Simian wrote:
Yeah, if you fail a test. An arrest for possession is, I believe, a violation.

Not of the Wellness Policy. It's a violation of Vince's Magical Rules List. They're magical because they change frequently, you see.

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:11 pm

I take that back. It is a legit violation of the Wellness Policy!

http://corporate.wwe.com/company/abuse_policy.jsp

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:13 pm

syxxpakk wrote:I take that back. It is a legit violation of the Wellness Policy!

http://corporate.wwe.com/company/abuse_policy.jsp

Which is also a selectively enforced wish list... :P

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:13 pm

Also, remember how Steve Austin, Triple H, the Rock, Rikishi, Edge, Christian, and, well, you get the point, were saddled forever with shitty gimmicks that made it so they'd never get over?

Talent rises above. That's why Curtis will get over.

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:14 pm

Lord Simian wrote:
Which is also a selectively enforced wish list... :P

You mean there are things in pro wrestling that aren't on the up and up?!?!?!!?!?

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:17 pm

Lord Simian wrote:Yeah, if you fail a test. An arrest for possession is, I believe, a violation.

Rob Van Dam was forced to drop both the WWE and ECW Championships following his drug related arrest. I realize that Jack Swagger put the WWE between a rock and a hard place by being arrested 2 days after being handed the title shot but if you are going to have a Wellness Program and enforce it, show some consistency. Give the opportunity to another superstar. Although, I wouldn't be too surprised if the WWE has Ziggler cash in after the match and steal the win and the show from whoever actually wins the match.

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Rob Van Dam didn't get them near the amount of publicity Swagger has.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:59 pm

Tattooed Jesus wrote:
Agreed. Everyone complained about Brodus getting stuck with a lame gimmick but Fandango is any worse than the Funkasaurus. Fandango reminds of a really bad Saturday Night Live skit that would have bee done by Chris Kattan.

I liked Brodus when he came out dancing. :smt102

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:24 pm

syxxpakk wrote:Also, remember how Steve Austin, Triple H, the Rock, Rikishi, Edge, Christian, and, well, you get the point, were saddled forever with shitty gimmicks that made it so they'd never get over?

I never once said that it was impossible for him to get over just that it would seriously hurt his chances, especially if he gets stuck with this gimmick. Some of the names that you mentioned are clearly exceptions to the rule. Steve Austin was already an accomplished wrestler when he joined the WWE in 1995 and by June of 1996 he was well on his way to becoming Stone Cold. Triple H has always been lucky to have friends in the right places. Dwayne Johnson wasn't even the "Blue Chipper" for a year before he joined the Nation of the Domination and became the Rock. Edge and Christian got lucky when the Brood was assimilated by the Ministry of Darkness and even though Christian had a successful run on the mid-card, it wasn't until he went to TNA that he was finally taken seriously as a main eventer.

By the way, why the crap is Rikishi even on your list? He is a prime example of a wrestler getting saddler with a bad gimmick and never really recovering from it. Once he became the fat guy dancing, it stuck with him for the rest of his career. Yeah, he went heel for awhile but nothing came from it and he went right back to dancing when it was over.

Talent rises above. That's why Curtis will get over.

Sometimes but why don't you tell that to Lance Storm or Dean Malenko when they came to the WWE. What about guys like Shelton Benjamin, Charlie Haas, Paul London, Brian Kendrick, Jerry Lynn, Taka Michinoku, or even Low Ki? Did their talent help them?

syxxpakk wrote:Rob Van Dam didn't get them near the amount of publicity Swagger has.

From the moment that Rob Van Dam stepped foot in the WWE he was easily one of the most over guys on the roster. He didn't need to get the WWE publicity because his name was selling merchandise. The difference between Rob Van Dam and Jack Swagger is that Vince McMahon did not create Rob Van Dam.
ImageImageImage

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:57 pm

You might not have known this, but Rikishi made his debut in wrestling in the 80s. He went through a ton of shit gimmicks from being your stereotypical Samoan, to a nice thug, to the Sultan, before dancing made him one of the biggest acts during the WWE's biggest business year ever.

When I say talent, I don't necessarily mean in-ring abilities. Of those you mentioned, the ones with strong personalities IMO would be Storm, Malenko, Haas, London, and Kendrick. Michinoku does too, but it's a different kind and it doesn't work in America unfortunately. Regardless, while they have strong personalities that when used effectively (Malenko's late 2000-run or his feud with Jericho; Storm in WCW; Haas now in ROH; London and Kendrick on the indy scene), I don't think anyone would ever compare them to the same level as the ones I mentioned.

Where do you get that his name was selling merch? I mean it might have been but I don't know that's as on point as you think it is. I don't think he was ever a major mover either way, except maybe early on in 2001. But it has nothing to do with him being an ECW-creation and everything to do with Jack Swagger getting tons of publicity for his character. If RVD was getting the kind of press at the time he got busted that Swagger is now, it probably would have happened a lot differently.

EDIT: Sorry, I somehow lost all of your quotes. Good luck trying to decipher that, heh.
Last edited by syxxpakk on Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:57 pm

People complain about how no-one has GIMMICKS anymore, and everyone in WWE has boring, normal person names like, for example, Johnny Curtis. Now WWE seems to be having a slight shift back to CHARACTERS with dudes like Brodus, Tensai and Fandango, and still people complain.

Everyone goes on about a return to the attitude era, but what's the difference between Fandango and Scotty 2 Hotty, really? Or Gangrel for that matter? or any of the other ridiculous characters that were about back then?

Fandango is fun. I love his Mortal Kombat backstory of 'conquering the ballroom, now trying his hand at the squared circle' It's ridiculous, it's stupid and it's fun. Wrestling is sometimes.
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:23 pm

I did like how just before Fan.. Dan.. Goooo... was about to say his name, some nerd in the crowd screamed out 'JOHNNY CURTIS!!!', that was funny.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum