Advertisement

The Official Outhouse All Wrestling Thread!

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 52 posts
Title: Shitlord

Re: The Official Outhouse All Wrestling Thread!

Postby Punchy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:23 pm

I did like how just before Fan.. Dan.. Goooo... was about to say his name, some nerd in the crowd screamed out 'JOHNNY CURTIS!!!', that was funny.

Advertisement

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 777 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:12 pm

syxxpakk wrote:EDIT: Sorry, I somehow lost all of your quotes. Good luck trying to decipher that, heh.

It's ok, I'll figure it out. :P

You might not have known this, but Rikishi made his debut in wrestling in the 80s. He went through a ton of shit gimmicks from being your stereotypical Samoan, to a nice thug, to the Sultan, before dancing made him one of the biggest acts during the WWE's biggest business year ever.

I did know that but I admit that I was so concentrated on how ridiculous his dancing gimmick was that I didn't take it into account when I was responding to your post. :oops: Regardless, aside from a very brief run as a heel, his level of success is no where near the level of any of the other names that you mentioned.

When I say talent, I don't necessarily mean in-ring abilities. Of those you mentioned, the ones with strong personalities IMO would be Storm, Malenko, Haas, London, and Kendrick. Michinoku does too, but it's a different kind and it doesn't work in America unfortunately. Regardless, while they have strong personalities that when used effectively (Malenko's late 2000-run or his feud with Jericho; Storm in WCW; Haas now in ROH; London and Kendrick on the indy scene), I don't think anyone would ever compare them to the same level as the ones I mentioned.

In the case of most of the wrestlers I named, unfortunately we will never know what could have been if they had been given proper pushes in the WWE. Lance Storm should have dominated the mid-card until he was rightfully raised to the main event but instead, his style was mocked and he was unfairly buried. Dean Malenko could have had the same type of success as Chris Benoit or Eddie Guerrero but he never even had a chance to succeed in the WWE because he was immediately stuck in the neglected Light Heavyweight division and then forced into feuds with Divas. One of the best technical wrestlers of all time and a former member of the Four Horsemen, reduced to fighting Divas. :smt102

Where do you get that his name was selling merch? I mean it might have been but I don't know that's as on point as you think it is. I don't think he was ever a major mover either way, except maybe early on in 2001.

Between 2001 and the time he left the WWE in 2007, Rob Van Dam was consistently one of the most over superstars on the roster. He was definitely more over than Rikishi. Sure, his name wasn't Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, or Triple H but just go back and watch any of his matches and watch the crowd. They absolutely loved him. The problem was, Rob Van Dam was an established name before he came to the WWE and Vince McMahon couldn't add anything to the character. Because of that, he suffered in mid-card hell for years before they finally gave him the opportunity. Unfortunately, he screwed himself by violating the rules of the WWE's Wellness Program.

But it has nothing to do with him being an ECW-creation and everything to do with Jack Swagger getting tons of publicity for his character. If RVD was getting the kind of press at the time he got busted that Swagger is now, it probably would have happened a lot differently.

The mainstream controversy surrounding Swagger and Colter's characters is already dying out. There will be no long term benefit from outside the WWE Universe for it. Regardless, it shouldn't matter if he draws one ass to a seat or one million. Jacob Hager made a boneheaded mistake, I don't think that he should be fired for it but I definitely think that there should be some type of consistency shown on the WWE's part. If you are going to take championships away from a guy for violating the policy, the least you can do is take away another person's title shot. Otherwise, what's to stop the next guy from violating the policy? What happens then? Jack Swagger gets off scott free but what about the next guy? "What's that Vince, you're going to let me go because I smoked a joint? Jack Swagger was arrested for a DUI and drug possession and he got to wrestle for the World Heavyweight Championship at Wrestlemania!" :smt102
ImageImageImage

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 110 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:44 pm

I did know that but I admit that I was so concentrated on how ridiculous his dancing gimmick was that I didn't take it into account when I was responding to your post. :oops: Regardless, aside from a very brief run as a heel, his level of success is no where near the level of any of the other names that you mentioned.

Well I never said Rikishi was on their level, just that he was a guy who went from shitty gimmicks to be a top-player, which is exactly what he was in 2000. I think what you're doing, though, is misinterpreting your personal preferences for what was successful. Whether you thought his gimmick was ridiculous or not, it doesn't change that it was insanely successful during that time.

In the case of most of the wrestlers I named, unfortunately we will never know what could have been if they had been given proper pushes in the WWE. Lance Storm should have dominated the mid-card until he was rightfully raised to the main event but instead, his style was mocked and he was unfairly buried. Dean Malenko could have had the same type of success as Chris Benoit or Eddie Guerrero but he never even had a chance to succeed in the WWE because he was immediately stuck in the neglected Light Heavyweight division and then forced into feuds with Divas. One of the best technical wrestlers of all time and a former member of the Four Horsemen, reduced to fighting Divas. :smt102

Eddie Guerrero was neglected to feuding with Chyna and Essa Rios over the European title when he started. Eddie Guerrero thrived because he has a billions times the personality of Dean Malenko. And Benoit wasn't that successful. Business was very weak under him (Eddie too - part of the reason Eddie wanted to drop the belt at the time).

Between 2001 and the time he left the WWE in 2007, Rob Van Dam was consistently one of the most over superstars on the roster. He was definitely more over than Rikishi. Sure, his name wasn't Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, or Triple H but just go back and watch any of his matches and watch the crowd. They absolutely loved him. The problem was, Rob Van Dam was an established name before he came to the WWE and Vince McMahon couldn't add anything to the character. Because of that, he suffered in mid-card hell for years before they finally gave him the opportunity. Unfortunately, he screwed himself by violating the rules of the WWE's Wellness Program.

I don't think RVD was as big as you're making him out to have been. Certainly he was a star and certainly he had his supporters, but he was never majorly over. It's hard to compare him to Rikishi because Rikishi was incredibly over during a time when the business was on fire, while I feel RVD was moderately over during a time when the business was stagnant. RVD was never a major business-mover, I don't think. I won't say he wasn't a major merch-pusher like you did, but I don't ever think I've heard it being that way. I don't think anyone shows he's ever main evented, outside of of maybe One Night Stand 2, would be regarded as "big buyrate shows." So in that respect, I don't know. I think you're overrating him.

The mainstream controversy surrounding Swagger and Colter's characters is already dying out. There will be no long term benefit from outside the WWE Universe for it. Regardless, it shouldn't matter if he draws one ass to a seat or one million. Jacob Hager made a boneheaded mistake, I don't think that he should be fired for it but I definitely think that there should be some type of consistency shown on the WWE's part. If you are going to take championships away from a guy for violating the policy, the least you can do is take away another person's title shot. Otherwise, what's to stop the next guy from violating the policy? What happens then? Jack Swagger gets off scott free but what about the next guy? "What's that Vince, you're going to let me go because I smoked a joint? Jack Swagger was arrested for a DUI and drug possession and he got to wrestle for the World Heavyweight Championship at Wrestlemania!" :smt102

The controversy dying out and there being no benefit are both possibly true. That doesn't change that when Swagger got busted, you had right-wing news people going stir crazy over his character. When RVD got busted, it was a big story for wrestling - but that's it, as the rest of the world didn't even pay attention. If RVD had been the the centerpiece of a major controversial brouhaha that was getting all kinds of notice from the world at large, not only would RVD have not dropped the belt the following Monday - he wouldn't have dropped the belt like he was planned to (allegedly and according to Meltzer) at the following PPV. It's genuinely two different stories.

Now, as for your complaint about it not being fair. Look, I said it earlier. "You mean something in wrestling isn't on the up-and-up?!" If you expect everything to be fair and just in ALL OF PRO WRESTLING, let alone WWE, I suggest a different avenue of entertainment. It's never been that way and it never will be. This goes back to guys hooking and screwing people over for championships, breaking legs to show the business is real, right down to using carny terminology to insult fans (marks). This is not an honest business.

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

T-Roy Space Cowboy
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 340 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby T-Roy Space Cowboy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:08 pm

misac wrote:
I liked Brodus when he came out dancing. :smt102

Yeah so did I but there was a general consensus among most IWC members that they didn't like it and he was a failure on arrival.

T-Roy Space Cowboy
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby T-Roy Space Cowboy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:20 pm

syxxpakk wrote:Also, remember how Steve Austin, Triple H, the Rock, Rikishi, Edge, Christian, and, well, you get the point, were saddled forever with shitty gimmicks that made it so they'd never get over?

Talent rises above. That's why Curtis will get over.

Steve Austin was all kinds over as Stunning Steve Austin in the USWA, WCCW, NWA/WCW and as a member of the Hollywood Blondes well before he came to WWE and got handed the shitty Ring Master gimmick which lasted about as long as a hiccup. He blew up when he got to be Stone Cold but he was already very popular before then. He was not some scrub.

HHH had a couple shitty gimmicks but he worked the blue blood snob gimmick so well that it took and he ran with and made it his thing and made himself get noticed. Like Austin he became most popular with his turn in DX when his character was just a natural extension of his personality. He wasn't some scrub either.

Edge and Christian came in as Edge and Christian and just grew and developed those characters over time, I never though their gimmicks were shitty at all.

Rikishi was part of the Samoan SWAT TEAM! One of the most bad ass teams ever so I forgive him for being the dancing fool, because you already knew like the others they talent was there you had seen it already.

Rock yeah he was pretty much a scrub and I damned him to fail right off the bat. Wasn't until he began doing his talking in third person deal that I took notice of him and saw that he had "it".

Curtis to me is a scrub. I don't see in him what I saw in any of the above mentioned at any point in their careers. Could I be wrong fuck yeah I could but I don't think I am. I think he sucks and is unentertaining. I would rather see Ryder or Bo Dallas get the time he is getting.

T-Roy Space Cowboy
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby T-Roy Space Cowboy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:24 pm

KING King Impulse wrote:People complain about how no-one has GIMMICKS anymore, and everyone in WWE has boring, normal person names like, for example, Johnny Curtis. Now WWE seems to be having a slight shift back to CHARACTERS with dudes like Brodus, Tensai and Fandango, and still people complain.

Everyone goes on about a return to the attitude era, but what's the difference between Fandango and Scotty 2 Hotty, really? Or Gangrel for that matter? or any of the other ridiculous characters that were about back then?

Fandango is fun. I love his Mortal Kombat backstory of 'conquering the ballroom, now trying his hand at the squared circle' It's ridiculous, it's stupid and it's fun. Wrestling is sometimes.

I'm all for characters but I want characters that are fun and entertaining. Brodus is awesome and I love him and Sweet T, the Monsters of Funk! I just don't find Fandango to be entertaining or fun. I find him to be boring and stupid.

Bianco
cheese

Liked in: 74 posts

Postby Bianco » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:40 pm

Tattooed Jesus wrote:
Steve Austin was all kinds over as Stunning Steve Austin in the USWA, WCCW, NWA/WCW and as a member of the Hollywood Blondes well before he came to WWE and got handed the shitty Ring Master gimmick which lasted about as long as a hiccup. He blew up when he got to be Stone Cold but he was already very popular before then. He was not some scrub.

HHH had a couple shitty gimmicks but he worked the blue blood snob gimmick so well that it took and he ran with and made it his thing and made himself get noticed. Like Austin he became most popular with his turn in DX when his character was just a natural extension of his personality. He wasn't some scrub either.

Edge and Christian came in as Edge and Christian and just grew and developed those characters over time, I never though their gimmicks were shitty at all.

Rikishi was part of the Samoan SWAT TEAM! One of the most bad ass teams ever so I forgive him for being the dancing fool, because you already knew like the others they talent was there you had seen it already.

Rock yeah he was pretty much a scrub and I damned him to fail right off the bat. Wasn't until he began doing his talking in third person deal that I took notice of him and saw that he had "it".

Curtis to me is a scrub. I don't see in him what I saw in any of the above mentioned at any point in their careers. Could I be wrong fuck yeah I could but I don't think I am. I think he sucks and is unentertaining. I would rather see Ryder or Bo Dallas get the time he is getting.

Kevin Nash had a couple of bad gimmicks, remember OZ, one of my favorites was One Man Gang transforming into Akeem, the African Dream

T-Roy Space Cowboy
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby T-Roy Space Cowboy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:58 pm

Bianco wrote:

Kevin Nash had a couple of bad gimmicks, remember OZ, one of my favorites was One Man Gang transforming into Akeem, the African Dream

Yeah I believe Nash's first appearance on wrestling he was named Dirt as part of the Master Blasters. He definitely had some shit gimmicks, I started to take notice of him when he was Vinnie Vegas, he did and excellent job with a lame ass character and I could tell there was something there. One Man Gang was awesome, and at first I thought Akeem was stupid as all get out but Gang along with Slick really made it all work.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:12 pm

Bianco wrote:Kevin Nash had a couple of bad gimmicks, remember OZ, one of my favorites was One Man Gang transforming into Akeem, the African Dream

Not to take anything away from Kevin Nash but he definitely got lucky on two fronts. He had friends in the right places and he was a big guy in Vince McMahon's WWE. If Vince McMahon loves one thing, it's big guys.
ImageImageImage

T-Roy Space Cowboy
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby T-Roy Space Cowboy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:18 pm

Grayson wrote:
Not to take anything away from Kevin Nash but he definitely got lucky on two fronts. He had friends in the right places and he was a big guy in Vince McMahon's WWE. If Vince McMahon loves one thing, it's big guys.

Oh yeah definitely. HBK pretty much set Nash up for life. By bringing him in to be his body guard that was his foot in the door, Vince liked what he saw and the rest is history.

kingbeavis
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby kingbeavis » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:41 pm

Paul Bearer is dead. For real not storyline wise.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:58 pm

That's really unfortunate news. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
ImageImageImage

Evan Meadow
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Evan Meadow » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:00 am

Rest in Peace Percy.

The Brothers of Destruction will hopefully give a nice tribute to him on RAW on Monday.

Bianco
cheese

Liked in: 74 posts

Postby Bianco » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:07 am

Wow sucks about Percy (Paul Bearer), R.I.P. sir you will be missed

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 170 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:20 am

So sucks about Mr. Moody passing away. One of the best wrestling managers of the 90s.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum