Friday, October 19, 2018 • Evening Edition • "Outhouser?! We barely know her!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

The Random Chat Thread: we come in peace...

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Dr. Hackenbush

FROGMAN

Postby Dr. Hackenbush » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:32 pm

Fysh wrote:Stephen, I appreciate your achievement and witnessed it in the correct fashion.

(Memo to self: Operation Suck Up To The Canadian is go.)

On a different note, today I gave blood and as a reward, went to buy myself some comics (well, trades). Thus far I have read Sex Criminals: Fourgy, and am probably going to start on Injection volume 3 next. I also have Wicked & Divine: Imperial Phase Part 2 and Royal City: Next Of Kin in the "to read" pile.

Edit: it occurs to me that I did add Empowered and Breaking Cat News to my regular webcomic reads recently, which in both cases involved powering through the backlog of strips. What webcomics do you lot read/follow?

Did you like the latest Sex Criminals volume?
I started it weeks ago and managed to only read a few pages at a time.
To me the series has lost a lot of its appeal.
To depressing, humour seems to be mostly gone. I'm not sure I'm even gonna buy the next trade.

I read no webcomics right now, except for two adult Fantasy ones who are only published for supporters on patreon.
I followed the webcomic Alfie from erotic artist Incase, but the series is on hiatus. It's a pretty good fantasy comic, starring a sexy halfling, but it is very explicit and has lots of sex, so no idea if this would interest you at all.

Dr. Hackenbush

FROGMAN

Postby Dr. Hackenbush » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:38 pm

Another great Ebay case I'm experiencing right now.
A lady buys a game key from me (dirt cheap, I might add), doesn't pay, doesn't contact me, doesn't react to messages, nothing.

Normally someone buys a key, pays minutes later with Paypal, the moment I see this, I send him or her an email with the key. This time?

After almost two weeks I open a case for an unpaid item and now I get a message from said lady.
Very rude, almost insulting. Demanding the details for my bank account so she can transfer the money and how mean it is to open a case because of 1,99 and how I'm basically stupid for not giving her my bank account details.

Well, the only problem being that money transfer was NEVER an option for this auction, only paypal. Nothing else.

AND I already tell everybody in the auction details that I can and will open a case with ebay if I get neither money nor message from the buyer.

I love it, that I have to spent time on my precious weekend for assholes and idiots like that.

uz000

Great Scott!!!

Postby uz000 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:45 pm

Fysh wrote:
There are two more shorts set between BR and BR2049 - the one with Jared Leto is kind of meh because Niander Wallace still has no depth to him, but the one about Bautista's character is well worth watching.

Yes I found them both. I agree the Bautista's character story was pretty decent. I quite liked the Jared Leto one as well.

uz000

Great Scott!!!

Postby uz000 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:14 pm

Big time trekkies will enjoy this. I'm about halfway through. They make some pretty decent criticisms of both the Orville and Discovery.

Mac E Tero

dINGO

Postby Mac E Tero » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:57 pm

Flamebird wrote:And this time, it's "personnel" .

Like a visit from HR? Scary.

Fysh

cheese

Postby Fysh » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:17 pm

Dr. Hackenbush wrote:

Did you like the latest Sex Criminals volume?
I started it weeks ago and managed to only read a few pages at a time.
To me the series has lost a lot of its appeal.
To depressing, humour seems to be mostly gone. I'm not sure I'm even gonna buy the next trade.

I'm overdue a re-read of the previous trades as I can't remember a lot of the finer detail of previous volumes, but I definitely think the tone has gone darker with the emergence/deepening of Jon's mental health issues and the strain that puts on his relationship with Suzie.

Having said that, I'm still enjoying it because I think the fleshing out of the characters is done well and the world-building is solid and interesting. But I totally understand wanting to jump off, I think that tonally it's become something quite different to what it was in the first volume.

Fysh

cheese

Postby Fysh » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:34 pm

Jesus Christ, further confirmation that Vertigo may as well just shut up shop. In June, DC are publishing...Absolute Sandman: Overture.

As in, the six-oversize-issues Sandman Overture. Where they are having to include scans of the original pencils for the entire thing to bulk up the pagecount and get it anywhere close to the rest of the Absolute Sandman volumes.

And of course it's $125, because they couldn't risk devaluing the Absolute format.

Aside from maybe some of the Young Animal stuff, the only series that Vertigo has launched in the last couple of years that I feel any inclination to check out is Clean Room. The reason I keep forgetting to check it out is every time I look up what's new from Vertigo I find far more efforts to exploit old stuff in expensive new deluxe formats than I do any new, interesting-sounding comics...

Flamebird

rubber spoon

Postby Flamebird » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:03 pm

I'm finally home, alive and sort of okay. gonna take a few days to get functioning anywhere near normal, but thanks to everyone for the well wishes and laughs when I was terrified!

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:19 pm

Flamebird wrote:Image

I'm finally home, alive and sort of okay. gonna take a few days to get functioning anywhere near normal, but thanks to everyone for the well wishes and laughs when I was terrified!

Yay!!!!! :smt026 :smt026

Dr. Hackenbush

FROGMAN

Postby Dr. Hackenbush » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:01 pm

For two days "Your Name" is finally coming into German cinems.
With no promotion at all, so that I already missed it.

Also, as usual with anime here, any explanations are too simplistic. according to the Cinema magazine, it's a film about gender roles.

IDK, while they switch not only bodies but gender, the differences between boy and girl didn't exactly seem that central to me.

And apparently Hollywood is planning a real-life version.
I shudder about what Hollywood will make of this quiet, smart and deep anime.
They'll probably turn it into a disaster film about an asteroid hitting the earth.

NeverReady

cheese

Postby NeverReady » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:54 am

Flamebird wrote:Image

Can I get an A-MEN!

25 25 6

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby 25 25 6 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:58 am

Dr. Hackenbush wrote:Another great Ebay case I'm experiencing right now.
A lady buys a game key from me (dirt cheap, I might add), doesn't pay, doesn't contact me, doesn't react to messages, nothing.

Normally someone buys a key, pays minutes later with Paypal, the moment I see this, I send him or her an email with the key. This time?

After almost two weeks I open a case for an unpaid item and now I get a message from said lady.
Very rude, almost insulting. Demanding the details for my bank account so she can transfer the money and how mean it is to open a case because of 1,99 and how I'm basically stupid for not giving her my bank account details.

Well, the only problem being that money transfer was NEVER an option for this auction, only paypal. Nothing else.

AND I already tell everybody in the auction details that I can and will open a case with ebay if I get neither money nor message from the buyer.

I love it, that I have to spent time on my precious weekend for assholes and idiots like that.

This is what I deal with monday through friday to go pick up my kids in the pickip area and parking lot in front of the school.

"Mrs Soccer Mom helps out at all the school functions, volunteering to stay well after help clean up. She wouldn't hurt a fly or kick a stray dog to the curb. But once behind the wheel of a SUV minivan, a straaaange transformation takes place. Mrs Soccer Mom becomes Mrs. WHeeler....MOTORIST!

Also, it's amazing that a cartoon over fifty years old is still relevant today, possibly more than it was when it was made.

uz000

Great Scott!!!

Postby uz000 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:21 am

Fysh wrote:Jesus Christ, further confirmation that Vertigo may as well just shut up shop. In June, DC are publishing...Absolute Sandman: Overture.

As in, the six-oversize-issues Sandman Overture. Where they are having to include scans of the original pencils for the entire thing to bulk up the pagecount and get it anywhere close to the rest of the Absolute Sandman volumes.

And of course it's $125, because they couldn't risk devaluing the Absolute format.

Aside from maybe some of the Young Animal stuff, the only series that Vertigo has launched in the last couple of years that I feel any inclination to check out is Clean Room. The reason I keep forgetting to check it out is every time I look up what's new from Vertigo I find far more efforts to exploit old stuff in expensive new deluxe formats than I do any new, interesting-sounding comics...

A few people were saying that Imaginary Fiends by Tim Seeley is good, I'm trade waiting it.

Really though they should just merge Young Animal into Vertigo, because it really is a part of Vertigo. That would at least stop giving the impression that Vertigo is a dying imprint.

Dr. Hackenbush

FROGMAN

Postby Dr. Hackenbush » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:30 am

uz000 wrote:
A few people were saying that Imaginary Fiends by Tim Seeley is good, I'm trade waiting it.

Really though they should just merge Young Animal into Vertigo, because it really is a part of Vertigo. That would at least stop giving the impression that Vertigo is a dying imprint.

I have to say, I do find good books at Vertigo again and again.
The problem to me, seems more to be about people not being willing to give those books a chance, leading to them ending way, way too soon.
For example, Tim Seeley had a really interesting series(Effigy) that delved into teenage tv stars, SF cults and many other tropes, played with them and made for an interesting read with good art, but no people picked it up and so it ended after the first story arc.
And that's something that happened with many of the Vertigo books I picked up in recent years. They start good, but because so few people give them a chance they end prematurely and leave me as the reader feeling unsatisfied.
It's not the quality that's the source of problems, it's the stepchild existence DC has put the imprint in and that apparently readers (fe. we see it with you guys, Fysh and Uz) have lost faith and interest.

Edit: not meant to criticize anybody who has lost interest. DC sure has made that easy.

Dr. Hackenbush

FROGMAN

Postby Dr. Hackenbush » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:00 am

No One wrote:
This is what I deal with monday through friday to go pick up my kids in the pickip area and parking lot in front of the school.

"Mrs Soccer Mom helps out at all the school functions, volunteering to stay well after help clean up. She wouldn't hurt a fly or kick a stray dog to the curb. But once behind the wheel of a SUV minivan, a straaaange transformation takes place. Mrs Soccer Mom becomes Mrs. WHeeler....MOTORIST!

Also, it's amazing that a cartoon over fifty years old is still relevant today, possibly more than it was when it was made.

Well, I'm going to school by train and bus, that has a charm of its own as anyone depending on it can surely testify to.

leave a comment with facebook