Thursday, July 19, 2018 • Evening Edition • "We're so sorry, DC. Please take us back."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

The Random Chat Thread: we come in peace...

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Magic Sam

Mad Hatter

Postby Magic Sam » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:34 am

I'm either going to order Doom Patrol Vol. 1: Brick by Brick (Young Animal) or Black Hammer Volume 1: Secret Origins. What do you guys think?

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:53 am

Watching President Trump unravel, what are the odds he is going to fire Mueller?

Trump Is Entering a Dangerous New Phase of His War with Mueller
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/03 ... rt-mueller

NeverReady

cheese

Postby NeverReady » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:53 am

Magic Sam wrote:I'm either going to order Doom Patrol Vol. 1: Brick by Brick (Young Animal) or Black Hammer Volume 1: Secret Origins. What do you guys think?

Black Hammer. It's terrific.

Rebirth NoctourneM

Rain Partier

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:41 am

Another school shooting today in the US, it must be a day that ends with "day"

25 25 6

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby 25 25 6 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:50 am

Rebirth NoctourneM wrote:Another school shooting today in the US, it must be a day that ends with "day"

Another attempted bombing as well in Texas after what appears to be a string of them in Austin. Hope Liam's okay since we haven't heard from him.

On the other hand, there's been a string of bombings and we haven't heard from him... :D

Levity aside, this sh!t sucks. Our children are getting gunned down and Washington's inert because they don't want to upset their NRA lobbyist handlers. We can't allow school shootings to become the accepted norm and numb to it.

25 25 6

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby 25 25 6 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:57 am

Oh, and to my fellow strugglers. After the upcoming chapter in a few days, Berserk's going on hiatus again. :smt013 Beautiful artwork judging from the Korean raw scans and a translated summary of the chapter says Casca just remembers going to get Griffith to save him but doesn't really remember much after that. But then she see's Guts and it's hinted that she's starting to remember... And that's the cliffhanger (tho' it seems the way it was shown it may not be the Eclipse more than it is how different Guts is compared to the last time she saw him as his body is kinda a broken mess right now.

NeverReady

cheese

Postby NeverReady » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:03 pm

Rebirth NoctourneM wrote:Another school shooting today in the US, it must be a day that ends with "day"

Now is not/never the time to talk about this.

Magic Sam

Mad Hatter

Postby Magic Sam » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:09 pm

NeverReady wrote: Black Hammer. It's terrific.

Thanks. I ordered it. DH and the old Vertigo (I don't know anything about the new one) have been good places for me. I like stuff a little more serious, but less depressing than some Eisner winners which are real downers. I've read Amazon reviewers saying they cried. I don't need that. I already live in a world where the President has taken every executive action he can to hurt the enviroment and prevent research into clean sources of energy. It's just like all the dystopian sci-fi I read as a kid in the 60s and 70s, but it's real.

Neurotic Moose

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Neurotic Moose » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:10 pm

Magic Sam wrote:I'm either going to order Doom Patrol Vol. 1: Brick by Brick (Young Animal) or Black Hammer Volume 1: Secret Origins. What do you guys think?

Buy both

Rebirth NoctourneM

Rain Partier

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:14 pm

NeverReady wrote:
Now is not/never the time to talk about this.

:lol:

Neurotic Moose

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Neurotic Moose » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:14 pm

No One wrote:
Another attempted bombing as well in Texas after what appears to be a string of them in Austin. Hope Liam's okay since we haven't heard from him.

On the other hand, there's been a string of bombings and we haven't heard from him... :D

Levity aside, this sh!t sucks. Our children are getting gunned down and Washington's inert because they don't want to upset their NRA lobbyist handlers. We can't allow school shootings to become the accepted norm and numb to it.

The bomb thing makes me more angry than a serial bomber normally would, because people are actually doing something about it, fucking shipping companies are delaying shipping out packages for a bomber who has killed 3 people. It's horrible, but compare it to the dozens of people killed by guns EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. and nobody's really been doing jack shit about it. The government regulates fertilizer that can be used to make explosives more than it regulates guns, it's fucking ridiculous!

Dr. Hackenbush

FROGMAN

Postby Dr. Hackenbush » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:31 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
I might go for that now that I have a Playstation 4.

Which game was your favourite of the original three?

I know I wasn't asked, but because this is one of the most influential video games for me personally (I've got all comicbooks and lots of merchandise and even now there are two posters of Liara and one of the Normandy SR II on my walls) I'm gonna answer anyway.

I'm still traumatized by 3's ending. I've not managed to play it again after realization that this was the "real" ending hit, which means I've still got two playthroughs at about halfway into it.
It was a letdown in more ways than that though, with side quests and conversations being severely crippled (why the quest log was the worst of all three games I'll never understand) and with several decisions we were told were important having almost no consequences (here's looking at you Rachni-Queen).

Two had nicely improved graphics and the actual gameplay was way better than in 1, it had too many companions and naturally not all of them were fleshed out well enough (I mean would it have killed them to add normal companion dialogue for Zaed and Kasumi?) and it definitely fell short when it came to the roleplaying portions.

I think my money is on the original Mass Effect despite not quite good combat system and very dated graphics.
For once, I was blown away by the lore and the scope of this universe, all these new races and places, then the most awesome characters in the game series were introduced in the first game, Liara, Garrus, Tali and of course Wrex.
Also,it was the most like a classic RPG in the way you customized and levelled your character.

With that being said, I currently have a new playthrough going and am about 2 thirds in the second game.
I've modded the shit out of 2 already and since I played ME3 a new way to mod the game has been developed, were you can install mods like they are official DLCs and I'm actually looking forward to play 3 with the happy ending mod and several other large mods that (according to the community) significantly help against the weak parts of the game technically AND storywise.

25 25 6

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby 25 25 6 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:51 pm

Neurotic Moose wrote:The bomb thing makes me more angry than a serial bomber normally would, because people are actually doing something about it, fucking shipping companies are delaying shipping out packages for a bomber who has killed 3 people. It's horrible, but compare it to the dozens of people killed by guns EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. and nobody's really been doing jack shit about it. The government regulates fertilizer that can be used to make explosives more than it regulates guns, it's fucking ridiculous!

It's ridiculous and callous at the same time. They'll keep sucking at that NRA teat because the people in control of the situation aren't likely to ever be affected by it. They have money and sit behind their gated communities and roaming security and insta-911 (what I mean here is in these places get a response time within two minutes or so) so the likelihood of them or any of their family being gunned down is next to nil.

25 25 6

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby 25 25 6 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:35 pm

Dr. Hackenbush wrote:[
I know I wasn't asked--

You weren't so... :lol: J/king. Carry on.

but because this is one of the most influential video games for me personally (I've got all comicbooks and lots of merchandise and even now there are two posters of Liara and one of the Normandy SR II on my walls) I'm gonna answer anyway.

I'm still traumatized by 3's ending. I've not managed to play it again after realization that this was the "real" ending hit, which means I've still got two playthroughs at about halfway into it.
It was a letdown in more ways than that though, with side quests and conversations being severely crippled (why the quest log was the worst of all three games I'll never understand) and with several decisions we were told were important having almost no consequences (here's looking at you Rachni-Queen).

Two had nicely improved graphics and the actual gameplay was way better than in 1, it had too many companions and naturally not all of them were fleshed out well enough (I mean would it have killed them to add normal companion dialogue for Zaed and Kasumi?) and it definitely fell short when it came to the roleplaying portions.

With that being said, I currently have a new playthrough going and am about 2 thirds in the second game.
I've modded the shit out of 2 already and since I played ME3 a new way to mod the game has been developed, were you can install mods like they are official DLCs and I'm actually looking forward to play 3 with the happy ending mod and several other large mods that (according to the community) significantly help against the weak parts of the game technically AND storywise.

I dunno, the last time I made a runthough I was able to accept the ending a lot better (but you already know I've only played the fixed--or "fixed" depending on how you view it--version so that's heavily coloring my thoughts since I didn't go through what you went through and then played it again with the add-ons). I think the thing that bothers me about it is that it moved away from the more natural dark matter climax/reasoning of the mass relays causing unintended damage (which, oddly, it seems they were trying to go back to in Andromeda). But on a purely emotional and character-oriented note I'm good with the ending. You give me a good personal resolve in a fiction, be it a game, book, movie or TV show and I'll forgive a lot when it comes to plot. The better executed the personal part is the more forgiving I am to the plot part.

By the time you get beamed up to the Reaper ship and you're walking wounded through that tunnel you really feel like you've had the shit kicked out of you from the last three games. Jennifer Hale's VAing helps tremendously.

RE: Zaeed and Kasumi. It's been awhile but I remember being satisfied enough with her since she became my favorite character to run with in ME2. I do remember thinking that I wished we got more post-loyalty mission convos out of her since comparatively, a lot of the other crewmates got a bit more interaction so if that's what you're talking about, then yeah I agree.

Zaeed I thought, given his character personality, was done right as he shouldn't be a chatty person. lol.

I think my money is on the original Mass Effect despite not quite good combat system and very dated graphics.
For once, I was blown away by the lore and the scope of this universe, all these new races and places, then the most awesome characters in the game series were introduced in the first game, Liara, Garrus, Tali and of course Wrex.
Also,it was the most like a classic RPG in the way you customized and levelled your character.

The sense of wonder in ME1 is amazing. Like, you really felt like you were in a lived in universe and they constructed all the playable areas in a way where you didn't feel like it just cut off because of the games limitations (tho' they really should've designed the Citadel better as it's easy to get lost and forget which tunnel leads to which section). I remember thinking,"Man, this is close to open-world" and I approached it as such, talking and interacting with everyone and thing I possibly could.

I can see why you'd struggle with ME2's cast. I mean, when you start a series out with Liara, GArrus, Tali, Wrex, Joker and Lance Henrickson doing his best Optimus Prime impression as your commander and Kieth David as your confident, that's a hard core cast to beat. It didn't help that because of the way the game starts, you're disconnected from everyone that matters to you initially so my first time out I felt annoyed to be saddled with a new crew (particluarly Jacob and Miranda) when all I really wanted was to find out what happened to my old one and catch up with them.

That said, I came around on them, favorites being Jack, EDI, Thane, Kasumi and Samara. And Mordin gets one of the biggest payoffs in ME3.

Dr. Hackenbush

FROGMAN

Postby Dr. Hackenbush » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:17 pm

No One wrote:
You weren't so... :lol: J/king. Carry on.

I dunno, the last time I made a runthough I was able to accept the ending a lot better (but you already know I've only played the fixed--or "fixed" depending on how you view it--version so that's heavily coloring my thoughts since I didn't go through what you went through and then played it again with the add-ons). I think the thing that bothers me about it is that it moved away from the more natural dark matter climax/reasoning of the mass relays causing unintended damage (which, oddly, it seems they were trying to go back to in Andromeda). But on a purely emotional and character-oriented note I'm good with the ending. You give me a good personal resolve in a fiction, be it a game, book, movie or TV show and I'll forgive a lot when it comes to plot. The better executed the personal part is the more forgiving I am to the plot part.

By the time you get beamed up to the Reaper ship and you're walking wounded through that tunnel you really feel like you've had the shit kicked out of you from the last three games. Jennifer Hale's VAing helps tremendously.

RE: Zaeed and Kasumi. It's been awhile but I remember being satisfied enough with her since she became my favorite character to run with in ME2. I do remember thinking that I wished we got more post-loyalty mission convos out of her since comparatively, a lot of the other crewmates got a bit more interaction so if that's what you're talking about, then yeah I agree.

Zaeed I thought, given his character personality, was done right as he shouldn't be a chatty person. lol.

The sense of wonder in ME1 is amazing. Like, you really felt like you were in a lived in universe and they constructed all the playable areas in a way where you didn't feel like it just cut off because of the games limitations (tho' they really should've designed the Citadel better as it's easy to get lost and forget which tunnel leads to which section). I remember thinking,"Man, this is close to open-world" and I approached it as such, talking and interacting with everyone and thing I possibly could.

I can see why you'd struggle with ME2's cast. I mean, when you start a series out with Liara, GArrus, Tali, Wrex, Joker and Lance Henrickson doing his best Optimus Prime impression as your commander and Kieth David as your confident, that's a hard core cast to beat. It didn't help that because of the way the game starts, you're disconnected from everyone that matters to you initially so my first time out I felt annoyed to be saddled with a new crew (particluarly Jacob and Miranda) when all I really wanted was to find out what happened to my old one and catch up with them.

That said, I came around on them, favorites being Jack, EDI, Thane, Kasumi and Samara. And Mordin gets one of the biggest payoffs in ME3.

I love Mordin's opera improvisation.
And yeah, I like a lot of the companions in ME2, but none could take the place of any of the big four, the Mass Effect Universe beatles. ;)

As for the ME3 ending. You know it, I wanted to have little blue babies, I did everything right so Shep and I deserved the happy ending. That's how I roll with this type of game, were you completely identify with the protagonist.

I mean, I'm fine with an ending a la L.A. Noire, in a game like that, but when it comes to RPG's the ending to Dragon Age Origins is near perfect, you can go from picture book ending, were you get the kingdom, the queen and the one actually love to dying and breaking everybody's heart, can sacrifice yourself or ruthlessly sacrifice a companion.

As for Kasumi, yeah that's what I was talking about. Both her and Zaed are well enough characters, definitely some of the better companions, but the little snippets of monologue you get from Kasumi after her loyalty mission wasn't enough.
I wanted to help her deal with her loss and shit and steer her in a good direction, like you could with any other companion in any of the games.

leave a comment with facebook