Wednesday, December 12, 2018 • Morning Edition • "Newsarama 2: Outhouse Boogaloo."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

The Random Chat Thread: we come in peace...

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Mac E Tero

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Mac E Tero » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:07 am

So... What's with the Red Lion?

Moortron

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Moortron » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:35 am

Neurotic Moose wrote:You know Richard Ramirez used a gun in pretty much all of his home invasions right? Same with the Zodiac Killer, and the East Area Rapist. Multiple murders with firearms by the same person aren't restricted to mass shootings. The data also just doesn't support your stance, people who have carried out massive chemical, and explosive weapons attacks outside of military dictatorships and 9/11 have a body count that is massively dwarfed by the deaths in firearm related homicides. Also we're cool dude, I'm just talking here, we don't have to agree with everything around here, and I do feel you on the absolute hopelessness of trying to make anything in this country better. I just know the gun thing has been more or less solved in other first world nations, Australia was able to do it not terribly long ago, Australia, the place where you're not legally allowed to vote if you don't own a firearm and a bowie knife (I would assume)

Well yeah, but I was talking about terrorism (what the bomber and most mass shooters are). Obviously a single killer with a gun is going to be more effective at killing, but I think in terms of terrorism where the goal is to incite terror (and what I think the alt-right is aiming for) non-gun attacks allow a terrorist to have more time to operate. I also don't think the USA is like other first world nations or even first world at all outside of some areas and that a culture of violence has been instilled across generations that legislation can't fix. To continue, most gun violence is committed by handguns yet almost all attention is on rifles because they look scarier and are used in the mass shootings, to cut down on violence handgun restrictions would have a much greater impact than rifles in terms of murders. To me the downside to this is that I fear in practice, this will be used by the police to harass people, particularly black men, in a similar way to the infamous war on drugs or stop and frisk. Let's be honest here, there is good reason why the cops are under fire and I'm hesitant at the thought of giving them yet another avenue to get away with killing some dude.

Neurotic Moose

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Neurotic Moose » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:56 am

Spacedog wrote:Setting nostalgia aside, I'm interested in the apparent role inversion between the main characters. Johnny is the "down on his luck guy" trying to take back control of his life through the restorarion of Cobra Kai - whereas Daniel seems to have become kind of an asshole bully. Seems like he lost his way without Miyagi's positive influence.

I mean, Johnny and the Cobra Kai guys were vicious fucking monsters, they could easily have killed Daniel with some of the shit they pulled (If I recall correctly one vicious beating took place immediately after they ran Daniel off the road in their car while he was riding his bike) Johnny also attempted to permanently cripple Daniel during the Karate tournament when he "swept the knee". I'm interested if this follows more of a spiritual journey for the character, as the series always did a pretty good job of depicting people being able to transform their lot in life through the discipline of martial arts, it'd be nice if Daniel and Johnny could come to some kind of understanding and Johnny can try to be a better Sensei than his was. I have no idea if that's going to be the arc of the show based on the trailers (which seem to be more "fuck yeah, let's be dickheads who beat people up!" than "down on his luck former bully tries desperately to get his life back on track and in the process finds a form of redemption and contentment"). Tl;dr version: Daniel has every goddamn right to be behaving that way towards the person who made every single day of his life in high school a living hell and who now seems to be seeking to create more vicious monsters.

Edit to add: Miyagi came really fucking close to straight up killing the Cobra Kai sensei after they decided to jump Daniel after the tournament, in one of the coolest fucking things I've ever seen, so I'm not 100 percent on him being the best influence since he seemed to solve a lot of conflicts with violence throughout the course of the series.

Mac E Tero

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Mac E Tero » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:21 am

This thread needs a random fact about Madonna or Katy Perry.

Neurotic Moose

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Neurotic Moose » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:51 am

Mac E Tero wrote:This thread needs a random fact about Madonna or Katy Perry.

Katy Perry looks good in latex outfits, her music is fucking awful, and she's friends with Elmo. There, three for one!
whee!113.gif

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:22 am

Rebirth NoctourneM wrote:
Whew! We were worried he was a terrorist. Dont worry guys, he turned out to be white!

Its like Las Vegas again. Because the guy was white he cant possibly be a terrorist unlike people of color who are quickly condemned by the press and public and authorities as being terror-related incidents. Nope, this guy was white and according to authorities his motivation for the 'terror attacks' though they arent calling it that was due to "personal challenges" - it just proves more than ever how racist society still is.

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:26 am

Mac E Tero wrote:This thread needs a random fact about Madonna or Katy Perry.

Hmmm. Okay here's one for you. Tony Ward. The dude who starred in her scandalous 'Justify My Love' videoclip and which was so hot MTV pulled the clip - Madge later sold it on VHS (so who's the smart one?) When they met, Madonna allegedly pushed a cigarette that was lit out on his smoking hot body.

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:31 am

Spacedog wrote:Image

Affleck seems to be having a midlife crisis. He's been in and out of rehab again lately too. Must be hard being an A-lister star. But that tattoo is fucking horrible? I don't mind tatts if they are creative but so many guys get fugly tatts that just look stupid.

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:37 am

Spacedog wrote:I don't know what's worse: the song or the video.

I like the song because it reminds me of the struggles the LGBT community have endured through the decades. And then of course the marches which resulted in the infamous arrests of so many. It should also be noted that many gay men having consensual sex with their partner was deemed immoral and illegal back then (it still is in some countries where gay men are stoned or beheaded for being gay.) Even today there are conversion camps where parents send their children to them thinking being gay is still an illness that requires treatment. But people rallying together can achieve great things as the LGBT community has proven.

Magic Sam

Mad Hatter

Postby Magic Sam » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:40 am

Raising the age limit on guns is such a great idea. No college student under 21 has ever had a drink. ;)

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:46 am

Footage Shows The Moment Cops Fatally Shot Unarmed Black Man Stephon Clark

Approximately six minutes into the video that shows Clark’s killing, an officer can be heard saying “mute.” The audio then goes silent.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/fo ... c9e5f3ec2f

Mac E Tero

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Mac E Tero » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:06 am

... some ABBA and a farm animal...

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:45 am

Mac E Tero wrote:... some ABBA and a farm animal...

ABBA and a farm animal? I don't remember ABBA starring with animals in any of their videoclips. But here's ABBA with a snowman instead

Fysh

cheese

Postby Fysh » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:36 am

Mac E Tero wrote:... some ABBA and a farm animal...

You, er, have typed your "special" search request into the wrong website there, Mac...

Spacedog

Expert Post Whore

Postby Spacedog » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:47 am

leave a comment with facebook