Monday, June 18, 2018 • Evening Edition • "Ban Herald ASAP!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

The Random Chat Thread: we come in peace...

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Spacedog

Expert Post Whore

Postby Spacedog » Sat May 19, 2018 9:34 pm

Mike H wrote:
Every way possible. And then some.

That's how.

Just wait for that Hollywood adaptation of 'Akira'. "Tetsuooooooo" will be "Johnyyyyyyyyy".

RobThompson

Rorshach Test Subject

Postby RobThompson » Sat May 19, 2018 9:41 pm

Dr. Hackenbush wrote:Wow. One of my friends on facebook wished her Muslim friends a good Ramadan and she got death threats from proud, upright, Christian Americans.

What lovely chums.

Knuckleheads in every major group.

Dr. Hackenbush

FROGMAN

Postby Dr. Hackenbush » Sat May 19, 2018 10:18 pm

Spacedog

Expert Post Whore

Postby Spacedog » Sat May 19, 2018 10:23 pm

It would be really cool if police arrests were accompanied by a musical number. “I'm arresting you in the name of the law. But before we take you into custody, let me sing this song that hit number one in the UK charts during 1986".

Jesse

cheese

Postby Jesse » Sat May 19, 2018 10:27 pm

Just watched the first episode of Mystery Incorporated On Demand and have to confirm it was pretty fun and definitely captured the spirit of the original.

Also new episodes of DuckTales started airing May 4th on Disney XD.

Neurotic Moose

cheese

Postby Neurotic Moose » Sat May 19, 2018 11:09 pm

Spacedog wrote:It would be really cool if police arrests were accompanied by a musical number. “I'm arresting you in the name of the law. But before we take you into custody, let me sing this song that hit number one in the UK charts during 1986".

You just described Cop Rock: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cop_Rock
https://tv.avclub.com/baby-selling-case ... 1798282592

jephd

dINGO

Postby jephd » Sun May 20, 2018 3:06 am

Jesse wrote:Just watched the first episode of Mystery Incorporated On Demand and have to confirm it was pretty fun and definitely captured the spirit of the original.

Also new episodes of DuckTales started airing May 4th on Disney XD.

Now with added darkwing and Gizmoduck!

uz000

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby uz000 » Sun May 20, 2018 3:22 am

Fysh wrote:And now, a brief intermission for a couple of trailers that caught my eye recently.

First up, "Uh...what if Sesame Street tried to do Team America: World Police?":

Not sure what to make of that.

This, however, looks quite promising (though not as much as Sorry To Bother You):

The Happy Time Murders looks excellent. Black Klansman looks ok.

This won Cannes this year, looks interesting:

Neurotic Moose

cheese

Postby Neurotic Moose » Sun May 20, 2018 3:40 am

Have been binge reading Deadly Class, is it just me or does the kid playing Marcus in the upcoming show not look particularly Nicaraguan? Because I'm trying to dig up info on the actors familial background and all I've been able to find is he's from Texas and is named Benjamin Wadsworth. Seems weird since a pretty big part of the character is his Nicaraguan heritage, sure a lot of it seems surface level, but it is an important aspect of what makes up the character and the fact that he's essentially an immigrant who was failed repeatedly by this country and Reagan era politics in particular. It feels weird having him played by a white guy

Edit: Nevermind, found a thing that says his parents were from Mexico, I hope they keep that aspect of the character front and center, especially with Nicaragua being newly topical as well as the potential to have stuff in the show mirror current events despite taking place 30 goddamn years ago, the show has every opportunity to expand on the premise and delve into the fact that it's basically a story of an immigrant who kept getting his teeth kicked in by this country developing the tools to fight back and gradually may even become a monster of our own making, they can also show more of the actual classes which Remender seems to be glossing over, I'm loving the series, but it's getting to the point about 15 issues in when I'm like "Are they still even attending classes?"

uz000

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby uz000 » Sun May 20, 2018 3:45 am

Neurotic Moose

cheese

Postby Neurotic Moose » Sun May 20, 2018 3:50 am

jephd wrote:Now with added darkwing and Gizmoduck!

I saw Gizmo on a review header picture, was Darkwing also in that episode? Was he voiced by Jim Cummings? or just some asshole who isn't Darkwing Duck? I also never started watching the show in the first place, at first it was due to me not liking David Tennant really at all, and not being jazzed that he'd be voicing Scrooge who despite being fictional and a talking duck is essentially a weird paternal figure to me because I learned a lot of my principles from cartoons and comic books, and the concept of this grumpy but pure hearted old duck man is near and dear to my jaded withered black black heart, I get genuinely sad whenever I remember that Alan Young is no longer with us, because it means Scrooge in a way is no longer with us. So that and also the fact that what I've read online made the show sound like it was trying to go for some weird bullshit subversive take that appealed to hipster 30 year olds where they rarely solve a mystery and/or rewrite history. I'm ok with animated slacker comedies, but thats not what Ducktales is or ever should be, but I'm open to have you guys tell me I'm wrong and should give the show a chance.

Neurotic Moose

cheese

Postby Neurotic Moose » Sun May 20, 2018 4:00 am

Question: Is Scrooge McDuck a Randian figure? Or would that be Glomgold? I honestly have no clue.

RobThompson

Rorshach Test Subject

Postby RobThompson » Sun May 20, 2018 5:33 am

Neurotic Moose wrote:Question: Is Scrooge McDuck a Randian figure? Or would that be Glomgold? I honestly have no clue.

Uncle Scrooge is based on Ebenezer Scrooge (obviously) but there are surely Randian elements there (namely being unapologetic about going after his ultimate goal, to make money.)

Paul Larkin: They say you’re intractable, you’re ruthless, your only goal is to make money.
Henry Rearden: My only goal is to make money.
Larkin: Yes, but you shouldn’t say it.

Dr. Hackenbush

FROGMAN

Postby Dr. Hackenbush » Sun May 20, 2018 7:40 am

N'cha and ohayou, RCT!

How's this Sunday treating you, and more important do you also have a national holiday tomorrow?

Dr. Hackenbush

FROGMAN

Postby Dr. Hackenbush » Sun May 20, 2018 11:41 am

leave a comment with facebook