Thursday, August 16, 2018 • Afternoon Edition • "Who invited Spektre?"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

The Random Chat Thread: we come in peace...

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Rebirth NoctourneM

Rain Partier

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Sun May 20, 2018 10:27 pm

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun May 20, 2018 10:42 pm

Stephen Day wrote:What I bought this week:

And my thoughts on what I bought:

I like most things that I've read that has been written by Jason Aaron, but I don't like what he does with the Celestials when he uses them. They always come across to me as being way less powerful and awe inspiring that I think the should be under his pen. There have been moments in the first two issues of this volume of Avengers that have had me enjoying what I'm reading, but I think I'll enjoy what he does next with this series over what he's doing right now.

The current story line in Daredevil has improved since Matt Murdock took over as Mayor of New York from Wilson Fisk, but I still don't think this has been Charles Soule's best work on this title.

Death of Love just gets more amazing with each issue.

the last couple of story lines in Bombshells United have had me thinking that the series had a winding down feeling. The current story arc though, with an invasion from Apocalypse, has renewed my faith in what Marguerite Bennett is doing with this series. With one more issue to go after this one, I think this series title will end on a high note.

Thor: At the Gates of Valhalla was obviously intended as a bridge between the last volume of Thor and the next one. It's not a spectacular read, but it enjoyably enough succeeds at what it's intended to be.

New Challengers #1 -- to tell the truth; if it had been an ongoing I probably would have dropped it after this first issue. Since it was solicited in Previews as a six issue limited series though, I'm curious enough about what's going on to want to see where things end in five months.

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun May 20, 2018 10:44 pm

Flamebird wrote:

:smt017

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun May 20, 2018 10:45 pm

Rebirth NoctourneM wrote:Image

I'm more surprised it's taken you this long to realize that. :smt102

uz000

Great Scott!!!

Postby uz000 » Mon May 21, 2018 12:18 am

Mike H wrote:Saw Deadpool 2. Quite enjoyable. I still wish Tim Miller had been able to direct again, but I don't feel like there were any major missteps. But I'm also not a Deadpool purist or anything, so his more devoted fans might have a different take on it than I do.

Not seen it yet, but the director is the guy who made John Wick and Atomic Blonde so I don't mind Miller not being involved.

uz000

Great Scott!!!

Postby uz000 » Mon May 21, 2018 12:28 am

Spacedog wrote:I thought the first Deadpool was 'ok' - a fine way to kill a dull saturday afternoon. I probably will see Deadpool 2 in a few days.

But truth be told, I wouldn't mind if Deadpool and Harley Quinn disappeared off the face of the earth for a year or two.

I really liked the Deadpool film. I agree that DP and HQ have been over saturated in the comics, though I think the worst is over ( for now).

Rebirth NoctourneM

Rain Partier

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Mon May 21, 2018 12:56 am

uz000 wrote:
Not seen it yet, but the director is the guy who made John Wick and Atomic Blonde so I don't mind Miller not being involved.

You should, I personally loved the fact that it deviated from traditional superheroe movie genres, and at the same time handles comic stuff far better than anyone has before.

Neurotic Moose

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Neurotic Moose » Mon May 21, 2018 1:04 am

uz000 wrote:

When I saw John Wick I thought it was ok, when other people started acting like it was the greatest action movie ever it made me fucking hate it in every way. "What if we took the over the top gritty nonsense world building of a 1990's image comic and combined it with incompetently edited action scenes?" It was bad enough having to suffer through something like the Darkness' first 20 or so issues, it was worse having to sit through a movie whose plot was just as compelling, which is to say not at all. Which would be fine if the action scenes were actually good, which they aren't, it's pretty standard stuff for a modern Hollywood action film, lots of quick cuts that make scenes incomprehensible, lots of hard working stunt men and actors giving it their all only to be let down by an editor and DP with a bad case of ADHD, but John Wick for some reason gets a pass because of all of the stylistic choices that tricked most people into becoming engaged in the film, and I guess that's the direction big budget action films are going to go now (similar to how a few years ago it was a bunch of Taken rip-offs), it'll be a bunch of John Wick's or Fast and the Furious' and then maybe every couple years we'll luck out and get a Mad Max: Fury Road but until then will have to settle for low budget stuff that's actually experimenting with the genre as well as giving us some great action scenes shot by people who know how to shoot people kicking the shit out of each other or doing amazing stunts.

Neurotic Moose

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Neurotic Moose » Mon May 21, 2018 1:19 am

Sometimes I wish I was able to just shut my brain off and enjoy dumb movies, well, I mean I guess I kind of do, but more with low budget schlock because I find the imperfections and corner cutting and sub par or over the top acting choices extremely charming and endearing, but I mean movies that have monstrously large budgets and were made to appeal to people's dumb lizard brain impulses. I can't do that anymore, I know too much about how the sausage is made and I've seen too many films that have their cake and eat it too when it comes to having effective action scenes and a compelling and efficient story.

Sorry I'll stop talking now, I don't want to rain on everybody's parade, I'm just a big grump lately, probably something I need to go over with my doctor.

Neurotic Moose

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Neurotic Moose » Mon May 21, 2018 4:14 am

Was it on here that we were arguing about X-men Schism forever ago? Because that whole miniseries while a bit sloppy makes perfect sense if you had read Aaron's prior work with Wolverine, and maybe even as far back as Rucka's short run and farther back still. Rucka was the one who got the job of relaunching the Wolverine solo series that at the time was only known as a book that was a miniseries by Claremont and then just a reasonably selling place to chuck new Marvel writers like Warren Ellis. Well when Rucka came on it turned the book around (give or take a completely awful wet fart of a Jeph Loeb run and the ever increasing cases of diminishing returns from Daniel Way) Rucka started with a straightforward Wolverine story of him killing the shit out of some bad guys, but the best part about it was that arc ended with a single issue of Logan talking to Kurt about how that made him feel, that Logan was getting tired being what he was, tired of just being a killer, even if he was killing people who deserved it, the rest of the run was...fine, but that issue laid down a foundation for Aaron to build on later. Then we had Mark Millar hot off the Ultimates plugging away at two arcs that were completely ridiculous and pretty fun in a dumb action movie sort of way that you could mindlessly flip through on a lazy Sunday afternoon, but they both continued that more introspective take on the character, even if they were heavily mired in cliche in Millar's hands, it was still there and still worked, and enemy of the State in particular gave Logan more reasons to question himself and what he was. Then we get to Aaron, who litters his run with all kinds of kooky nonsense that's an absolute blast to read through, but here's the thing, even if it didn't look like it Aaron was constantly planting seeds for eventual payoffs from the very beginning, and the book very quickly became the story of a man trying desperately to escape his violent nature and make amends for his past actions, and maybe, just maybe, to finally change. So getting back to Schism, that arc starts with Logan literally walking out of Wolverine #16 and into issue 1 of Schism. Wolverine had just been put through an emotional gauntlet in his solo series, he had been sent to hell by a group of people who wanted revenge against him for people he had killed in his past, and they found a way to hurt him more than anyone else has in a way that had his mind heavily focusing not only on the kind of person he wanted to be, but on his role as a father. I won't give it away, but the events of Wolverine Goes To Hell set up why Logan takes the stance he does and why he chooses to leave and start up the Jean Grey School. I know we can argue about how you shouldn't have had to read several dozen issues of a character many of you are on record as not liking for the miniseries to make sense, but goddamn if this isn't a case of context playing a big part in whether or not you enjoy a comic.

RobThompson

cheese

Postby RobThompson » Mon May 21, 2018 4:31 am

Spacedog wrote:Nobody fuck with The Jesus.

Fysh

cheese

Postby Fysh » Mon May 21, 2018 4:33 am

For what it's worth I feel similarly about a lot of big budget action films; at this point I've given up trying to pin down broader reasons and figure that film either will, or will not, engage me enough to bypass any nitpicky urge without me thinking about it. So if I find myself thinking "that's just silly" or suchlike, it's because at some point the film has lost me. If I give a film a fair chance to entertain me and it loses me through lack of verisimilitude, bad storytelling or some other narrative failing, "oh stop thinking about it" doesn't help me because I don't go into films looking to pick them apart, so I can't simultaneously make myself stop caring about the film's shortcomings while still caring about what it depicts.

Deadpool 2 is by no means a flawless film, but it did hold my interest and attention throughout, although unlike the first film there are a couple of things that could benefit from light pruning.

I've not seen the original version of John Wick, but I did check out a B&W fanedit that trimmed it a fair bit for pace etc, and I still found that merely OK rather than really good. Certainly it wasn't The Raid or Fury Road.

RobThompson

cheese

Postby RobThompson » Mon May 21, 2018 5:36 am

Mostly I find we all become a little pretentious when discussing "good" and "bad" films.

Dr. Hackenbush

FROGMAN

Postby Dr. Hackenbush » Mon May 21, 2018 6:03 am

Let me chime in as someone who also thought John Wick wasn't that good.

I think it had a few nice parts, but mostly I couldn't really see what supposedly kept it apart from all those other modern action films that to me look like 120 minutes of jumping the shark.

It wasn't so bad that I had to stop watching, but I noticed too many weak spots in story and execution to fully enjoy it.

A film like Baby Driver or The Raid fe. is on a completely different level.

If you'd ask me about really good action films, I'd be hard-pressed to name more than 1 or 2 in the last decade.

Fysh

cheese

Postby Fysh » Mon May 21, 2018 6:32 am

RobThompson wrote:Mostly I find we all become a little pretentious when discussing "good" and "bad" films.

Well, there's a statement that's surely going to help the conversation remain interesting and civil :P

How would you prefer conversations about film to go?

leave a comment with facebook