Advertisement

The Rob Liefeld Appreciation Thread?

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Doc Spider

Postby Doc Jon » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:42 am

That's right, you read the title correctly.

I have been known to criticize Rob over on Newsarama, and I've made a couple jokes as well, but I respect the man for his accomplishments in comics and his unabashed love of the medium.

On a more personal note, Rob has been supportive of our little project and has even gone so far as to go out of his way to draw Blud Blood.

Feel free to post his art here, criticize it, bash the man, express your man crush for him, whatever. Keep it all in good taste, fellas, and we won't have problems.

But on a forum inspired by Rob himself, there should be at least one thread dedicated to him. :D

HJJOUNB SAWLWEN HATES MEO!!!! -Royal

Advertisement

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 955 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:18 am

Funny you should make this thread, we were just talking over on his board about how there isn't a lot of controversy about him lately. Maybe we can drum some up here guys. Let's get on that. Seriously, the guy is a very cool person, and I personally enjoy his art. I think it's a fun alternative from the super-serious, grim and gritty style that's going on most places these days. People can say what they want, but I believe it takes a hell of a lot of talent to draw like he does. It may not be what some people prefer, but it is not the crap that people make it out to be. I've seen the man draw personally and it was amazing. So someone argue with me!
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Nekid_Monkey
hobo killer

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Nekid_Monkey » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:23 am

I wont argue with you. I actually felt kinda bad whenever I hear people complain bout his art (yeah, you Jon. =p) since the it was the avenger's reborn stuff that got me into some comics (admitedly it's not a very good starting point story wise) as a kid. But his stuff was uber cool to me, and I copied a lot from him (The over exaagged brows, popping veins and gritted teeth). And he even created (or stole, or modified) one of my favorite marvel mercs ever. So... that's all I have to say bout that. :lol:
lubidiblubidi braP!

Stormking
Faster Pussycat

Postby Stormking » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:43 am

As I said before, I am not a fan of his art. He's much better suited for cover work or pinups than sequencials, but I'd buy him a beer anytime.

Personally, I thought is strongest work was his Hawk and Dove stuff for DC back under the writership of Louise Simonson.
e Daring, Regret Nothing

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 103 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:51 am

Just as long as we don't have the Teen Titans "penis/no penis" picture posted again.

IT WAS A COLORING ERROR! GET OVER IT! :x

I actually haven't liked the coloring jobs that have been applied to his work lately. They're so washed out and there's just too much yellow. Maybe it's the paper or something, but I feel that Rob's work deserves richer tones to make it look right. Not that the current colorist is using a realistic style of coloring, but I don't think that realistic is the way to go at all. It needs to be bright and primary, done in an almost "cut-out" way to show depth.

It needs a nineties style of coloring, not the pretty gradients of today, but the cool leveling of yesterday.

fallentaco
SUSHI FISH

Postby fallentaco » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:53 am

I like the mans work, i think its a shame that a couple of images will forever haunt his work. Im loving Onslaught Reborn, so thats good!

Plus, 90's comics ruled and he was a major player in those!
The man helped found Image!
b]It was Stamford all over again only this time Nitro was the edge of Cap’s shield.[/b]-Joe Q

Read Blue Beetle, Manhunter and DMZ!!!

Nobody
A Quagmire

Postby Nobody » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:16 am

I think he's a bad artist. I think he's a bad storyteller. Never met don't know how he is personality-wise. Some say he's great, others say he's a dick. Don't know. BUT, I was looking around on his website and through his sketches, there's always glimmers of really great potential in his art that winds up falling flat, especially in some of his older work. It sucks because he could be so much better, but it's like there's something in his brain that doesn't let him get better over time. I look forward to the day he blows the doors off that shit and rocks it out super-mega style.

I still think he's better than Jim Lee.

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Doc Jon » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:49 pm

Nobody: you are dead to me.

Sorry, but I think I have a man crush on Jim Lee. My feelings have cooled since the 90's, but you never fully let go. :shock:

I do think Rob's storytelling is the weakest part of his art right now. He's fun when he's doing action panels and people are jumping out of the sky, but it's the little story moments that seem to be missing from his stuff.

fallentaco
SUSHI FISH

Postby fallentaco » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:24 pm

jsalwen wrote:Nobody: you are dead to me.

Sorry, but I think I have a man crush on Jim Lee. My feelings have cooled since the 90's, but you never fully let go. :shock:

I do think Rob's storytelling is the weakest part of his art right now. He's fun when he's doing action panels and people are jumping out of the sky, but it's the little story moments that seem to be missing from his stuff.

And you mocked me about J-Tim as you call him...

That said i agree, Rob can do great images 85% of the time, 5% its ok, and 10% its bad, like really bad...
b]It was Stamford all over again only this time Nitro was the edge of Cap’s shield.[/b]-Joe Q

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Doc Jon » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:37 pm

No one shall mock Jim Lee on these forums!!! The man is a giant!

No seriously, I can't help it. Some people latch onto an artist when they're young, and it was Jim Lee for me. He's the artist that's always inspired me to constantly strive to improve my work.

JZamar
Fish-Smackin' Knight

Postby JZamar » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:50 pm

Rob Liefeld was, is and probably will be the single greatest influence I have that pushed me into working in comicbooks. I just love the energy his works give out, and his comicbooks made me care about creative teams enough to start collecting, when before I would just read em and misplace them (the comicbooks I mean). Also without Rob, I wouldnt have known other great artists like Jim Lee and the rest of the Image crew of the 90s. You see, Rob was the single reason why I even tried a book outside the big two.

To disect why I really like his work, I dont really know. Yeah admitted he has his flaws, misplaced joints, abnormally exageratted body parts, weird poses (specially those who are jumping) etcetera, but I love them just the same. One art professor told me when I submitted a requirement during college that was rendered photo-realistically that if I wanted that effect I could have just taken a picture, and I guess thats when I realized why I did like his work. It has a poppy escapist feel that you could just enjoy without over-criticizing and over thinking why it has to be that way. It is comicbook art, its not posing as fine art, rather it embraces the medium as it is, and granted he may not be a great storyteller, like say Risso or Cassaday, but he presents an over simplified view of action and that I truly enjoy.

Gah I posted too long. Sorry...

Irishfan
A Quagmire

Postby Irishfan » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:02 pm

I've never read anything by him.........
WHAHAHAHAHAH!!

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Doc Jon » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:03 pm

Very nice analysis, Jon.

fallentaco
SUSHI FISH

Postby fallentaco » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:07 pm

Irishfan wrote:I've never read anything by him.........

You poor soul...

Irishfan
A Quagmire

Postby Irishfan » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:08 pm

............... :oops:
WHAHAHAHAHAH!!

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum