Friday, December 15, 2017 • Afternoon Edition • "Brought to you by the lowest bidder!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

The Star Trek Thread

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Windom URL

Rain Partier

Postby Windom URL » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:14 pm

It would be one thing if it were made clear that this is a transitional period for the Federation, a sort of acknowledgment that these weren't their best years, and yet the characters were more interesting and the individual episodes more enjoyable. But the episodes of TOS and TNG that feature starships exploding or characters fighting to the death are exciting because they didn't do that every single show like Discovery has so far.

And for such an expensive show, the Starfleet costumes are cheapo, the Klingon costumes look like just that...costumes.

cbikle

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby cbikle » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:58 pm

Windom URL wrote:And for such an expensive show, the Starfleet costumes are cheapo, the Klingon costumes look like just that...costumes.

Like Enterprise before it, this show should've looked a lot closer to TOS, that way the cheapo costumes and lack of expensively-redesigned Klingon prosthetics, comes off as canon & nostalgic.

Windom URL

Rain Partier

Postby Windom URL » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:31 pm

Yeah, they monsterized the Klingons to the point that they've become generic monsters. It makes them lesser somehow. They become just something to fight, and despite the pigment variations they're indistinguishable from one another.

zryson

Fagorstorm

Postby zryson » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:08 am

StrongStyleFiction wrote:
He ain't wrong. I've read some recaps and listened to a few reviews hoping that there might be something to draw my interest after the pilot. Everything I've heard/read has been one red flag after another. It seems more like a sociopath's conception of Star Trek more than anything. Its almost like Zack Snyder is in charge of it. I've been meaning to jump into it but I know I won't like it. I don't enjoy hate-watching shows either. I don't know. It's fucked up, yo.

Like I have said before, Star Trek Discovery does Trek no favors. It uses shock and awe tactics to draw viewers in (who lives/who dies? no characters are safe boast the series producers but with so little character development does it even matter?). Trek fans deserve so much better but it does show the stagnation which has gripped Trek with Star Trek as a whole boldly going nowhere fast. Star Trek used to represent hope. There was a moral compass which the characters mostly abides with.

zryson

Fagorstorm

Postby zryson » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:20 am

Windom URL wrote:Yeah, they monsterized the Klingons to the point that they've become generic monsters. It makes them lesser somehow. They become just something to fight, and despite the pigment variations they're indistinguishable from one another.

I agree with you about the Klingons. They are one dimensional in Discovery which is a shame because Klingons are far, far from one dimensional when you look at series like the most popular of all Trek series, The Next Generation.

Glaeken

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Glaeken » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:07 am

zryson wrote:
Here are
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
the couple (this scene happens at the end of the episode where they are cleaning their teeth)

Call me crazy, but I think Anthony Rapp and Wilson Cruz make a cute couple.

Windom URL

Rain Partier

Postby Windom URL » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:52 pm

So Discovery has still lost more new characters than we've been introduced to, and the reliance on emo-auTillyistic and the alien fussbudget, both of whom should never have passed a psych-exam, is really grinding my nerves.

Of all the aliens in the galaxy, why the fuck would you recruit a member of one whose sole characteristic is being overly fussy? Why would you ever let it drive the starship or make decisions? It'd be like if they let C3PO fly an x-wing down the Deathstar trench, nobody would say high five that sounds like a good plan to me. Dude should be in the commissary or the medical bay or some shit, not in command position.

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:57 pm

Sweet, it was my favorite Trek series

‘Star Trek: Deep Space Nine’ Cast Preview Variety 25th Anniversary Photoshoot

January 2018 will mark the 25th anniversary of the premiere of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. Variety held a photoshoot today to prepare for what will apparently be some special coverage of the anniversary and some of the cast and and creatives who were on hand shared some preview photos.

Too bad that:
Main cast members Avery Brooks (Capt. Sisko), Colm Meaney (Chief O’Brien) and Alexander Siddig (Dr. Bashir) were apparently not at the shoot. Nor were recurring actors Andrew Robinson (Garak), Max Grodénchik (Rom) or Rosalind Chao (Keiko O’Brien).

Rebirth NoctourneM

Rain Partier

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:17 pm

sdsichero wrote:Sweet, it was my favorite Trek series

‘Star Trek: Deep Space Nine’ Cast Preview Variety 25th Anniversary Photoshoot

Too bad that:

25 years?

zryson

Fagorstorm

Postby zryson » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:13 pm

By far, Deep Space Nine was the best Trek series showcasing powerful female characters like Kira and Dax. They were also unafraid of exploring the grey of Star Trek with the powerful Dominion story-line.

zryson

Fagorstorm

Postby zryson » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:27 pm

Deep Space Nine outdid itself with some of the greatest battles in Star Trek like this one

And this

zryson

Fagorstorm

Postby zryson » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:47 pm

Deep Space Nine also explored the darkness

zryson

Fagorstorm

Postby zryson » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:04 am

The most popular Trek series of all, Star Trek The Next Generation

Windom URL

Rain Partier

Postby Windom URL » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:59 pm

Tonight is probably the make or break ep of STD for me. They've had enough time to get it in gear by now. The CBS all access is a joke, with a random batch of episodes of a few dozen shows and like 12 movies nothing is ever added to.

Rebirth NoctourneM

Rain Partier

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:43 pm

I have a sneaking suspicion there's one of those Human-looking Klingons on the show now.

leave a comment with facebook