Advertisement

The Star Trek Thread

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:00 pm

Strict31 wrote:Yeah, TNG wasn't ever really intended to be a conflict-driven show, but Worf was the guy who carried most of the conflict drama on his shoulders. Even Data, to some small degree is a conflicted character. But both ultimately ingratiate themselves among the crew professionally.

But like I said, TNG wasn't founded on a premise of conflict. Voyager, on the other hand, is trying to insert conflict into its themes from the very first episode with its merged crew of enemies, Starfleet and the terrorist Maquis. And instead of capitalizing on that conflict as DS9 masterfully did under Ron Moore's watch, they squandered it under writer and producer Jeri Taylor's watch.
Ensign Ro. ;-)

Advertisement

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 0 post
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:14 pm

GOSD wrote:Ensign Ro. ;-)

I really, really wish she would've stuck around. I liked the uber-ambitious second-officer during Picard's Borg stint too.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:19 pm

Black Kryptonite wrote:I really, really wish she would've stuck around. I liked the uber-ambitious second-officer during Picard's Borg stint too.

DS9 was originally going to have been built around her character, but Michelle Forbes bailed. The character was then re-written as Kira Nerys.

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby superfictious » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:20 pm

nietoperz wrote:DS9 was originally going to have been built around her character, but Michelle Forbes bailed. The character was then re-written as Kira Nerys.

Whew. Lucky for her career that she made the right choice, eh? :roll:

KingPagla
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 1 post

Postby KingPagla » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:58 pm

Black Kryptonite wrote:Whew. Lucky for her career that she made the right choice, eh? :roll:
Well, I see her working more often than Nana Visitor.

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby superfictious » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:09 pm

MechaKingPagla wrote:Well, I see her working more often than Nana Visitor.

I see Visitor in a decent amount of stuff. She's no megastar, but she gets around. Usually it's soap-operaesque tv dramas, though.

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Postby GOSD » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:34 pm

I'm happy that Nana took the role.

I like her character better than Ensign Ro's.

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 18 posts
Title: Ain't enough space bitches

Postby Strict31 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:03 pm

GOSD wrote:I'm happy that Nana took the role.

I like her character better than Ensign Ro's.

I thought Ensign Ro was one of the best characters created in Star Trek. And I thought she had one of the worst send-offs of any character in Trek. Just soured the character for me, even in the Mission Gamma novels.

I didn't start liking Kira until the end of the series almost. In that first episode of DS9, she was so fucking annoying that I was sure Sisko was about to turn to odo and say, "Constable, please put something in her mouth because my zipper's stuck."

Of course, i didn't like much about the first season of DS9.

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."

Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Postby GOSD » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:08 pm

Strict31 wrote:I thought Ensign Ro was one of the best characters created in Star Trek. And I thought she had one of the worst send-offs of any character in Trek. Just soured the character for me, even in the Mission Gamma novels.

I didn't start liking Kira until the end of the series almost. In that first episode of DS9, she was so fucking annoying that I was sure Sisko was about to turn to odo and say, "Constable, please put something in her mouth because my zipper's stuck."

Of course, i didn't like much about the first season of DS9.
She kicked ass in the Way of the Warrior with the Klingon fight scene.

Don't get me started on her training the Cardassians. :P

I loved her.

I thought Ro was a huge whiner and a huge disappointment.

Her sendoff was lame.

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Strict31 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:15 pm

GOSD wrote:She kicked ass in the Way of the Warrior with the Klingon fight scene.

Don't get me started on her training the Cardassians. :P

I loved her.

I thought Ro was a huge whiner and a huge disappointment.

Her sendoff was lame.

I liked Ro because she was one of the few bajorans who wasn't constantly running off at the mouth about "prophets-this and celestial temple-that." Stick a sock in it, Kai. But like I said, Kira didn't get cool until she fucking shut her mouth for mor than a few seconds at a stretch and realized she needed to be suckin' on some changeling dick.

Ro was too much of a smart-ass to be a whiner. She did have her flaws though. But it was cool watching her grow out of those flaws. Until her last episode, where she was infected with a stupidity-virus.

Of course, that reminds me: I always hated the Maquis too. Terrorist sum'bitches!!!

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Postby GOSD » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:40 pm

Strict31 wrote:I liked Ro because she was one of the few bajorans who wasn't constantly running off at the mouth about "prophets-this and celestial temple-that." Stick a sock in it, Kai. But like I said, Kira didn't get cool until she fucking shut her mouth for mor than a few seconds at a stretch and realized she needed to be suckin' on some changeling dick.

Ro was too much of a smart-ass to be a whiner. She did have her flaws though. But it was cool watching her grow out of those flaws. Until her last episode, where she was infected with a stupidity-virus.

Of course, that reminds me: I always hated the Maquis too. Terrorist sum'bitches!!!
Yeah, I laughed when the Jem'haddar took them out. :-D

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 5 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:50 pm

From what I understand, after the DS9 thing, they AGAIN offered to make Forbes a castmember on a new show, that being Voyager. Obviously, it would have made sense with her being maquis and all.

And again, she turned them down. Good thing, too.... if she'd have taken either show, we might not have gotten her 10 line part in ESCAPE FROM LA! :)

Kong created the Outhouse to train the Faithful. One cannot go against the Word of Kong.---
The Teachings of Pawl Monk'Dib

Monkey, I like your style!
--Lex Luthor

Zenguru wrote:I trust Lord Simian's word more than my friend.

Severed Djed
Bastard #1

Postby Severed Djed » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:04 pm

Aaron_W wrote:The main problem with Star Trek TNG is there is NO conflicts in the cast.

A Gene Roddenberry directive which caused no end of difficulties with the writers, as I recall. Roddenberry figured Future Perfect Mankind wouldn't argue amongst themselves.

He also once said, or so I'm told, that everybody in Starfleet was an officer. Because officers represented the best of the best in his mind.

His ideas of how a space-based culture would operate are, um, interesting, to say the least.

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 7 posts
Title: ライダー変身!
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:05 pm

Strict31 wrote:I didn't start liking Kira until the end of the series almost. In that first episode of DS9, she was so fucking annoying that I was sure Sisko was about to turn to odo and say, "Constable, please put something in her mouth because my zipper's stuck."

And he did... ohhhh yes he did.

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Strict31 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:24 pm

Severed Djed wrote:A Gene Roddenberry directive which caused no end of difficulties with the writers, as I recall. Roddenberry figured Future Perfect Mankind wouldn't argue amongst themselves.

He also once said, or so I'm told, that everybody in Starfleet was an officer. Because officers represented the best of the best in his mind.

His ideas of how a space-based culture would operate are, um, interesting, to say the least.

That's an odd quote given the fact that not everyone on the first 1701 was an officer, much less the 1701-D...I mean, how many "crewmen" got redshirted just because they happened to be on an Away mission with Kill 'Em All Kirk?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum