Advertisement

The Star Wars Clone Wars Thread

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 20 posts
Title: Ain't enough space bitches

Postby Strict31 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:27 am

sdsichero wrote:Next up is Y-Wings! One of my favorite ships! Come on,get excited! :-D

This looks, ironically enough, like a more advanced Y-Wing design instead of a 20 year old version...

It's probably due to all the streamlining.

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."

Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

Advertisement

Zechs
Staff Writer

Liked in: 4 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:13 am

Nightfly wrote:I noticed they replayed both episodes this (Wed.) evening. 7pm PST.

Good to know in case I miss any future epis.

I think they might replay the episodes one more time Friday too.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 28 posts
Title: ライダー変身!
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:12 pm

Nightfly wrote:I noticed they replayed both episodes this (Wed.) evening. 7pm PST.

Good to know in case I miss any future epis.

Seems like Clone Wars may be a bit more successful than CN expected.

Another option is that they stream the week's prior episode (starting tomorrow) on cartoonnetwork.com/starwars.com. Of course if you want to spend money, they have it on iTunes too.
[url]http://news.toonzone.net/article.php?ID=26449[[/url]

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:28 pm

Strict31 wrote:This looks, ironically enough, like a more advanced Y-Wing design instead of a 20 year old version...

It's probably due to all the streamlining.

Well it was a more elegant weapon... for a more civilized time.

Though I don't know if it is canon, I remamber reading material from way back in the day about how they had to strip down the Y-Wings because they needed a lot of maintenance. So eventually they lost all the paneling.

On another front, I wish they'd use the clone trooper phase II armor. Think that looks loads better.

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember

Postby DeadFett » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:22 pm

The Yoda episode was great. As for the second episode, I really dislike Anakin's apprentice.

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Strict31 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:29 pm

sdsichero wrote:Well it was a more elegant weapon... for a more civilized time.

Though I don't know if it is canon, I remamber reading material from way back in the day about how they had to strip down the Y-Wings because they needed a lot of maintenance. So eventually they lost all the paneling.

On another front, I wish they'd use the clone trooper phase II armor. Think that looks loads better.

I could buy that argument with regards to the twin engine booms. In ANH time, they look striped down completely. But the rest of the design looks like the difference between, say, the Enterprise-E and the old 1701 from Kirk's day. Except in reverse.

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:17 pm

Strict31 wrote:I could buy that argument with regards to the twin engine booms. In ANH time, they look striped down completely. But the rest of the design looks like the difference between, say, the Enterprise-E and the old 1701 from Kirk's day. Except in reverse.

I am pretty sure th they have the strip down documented somewhere. Except for the hyperdrive issue, most of the ships in Star Wars pre-empire are sleeker than the Empire era ones. Lucas was probably going for a 1950s vs. 1970s kind of thing.

Or maybe a Enterprise NX-01 to an Enterprise NCC-1701 thing :-D

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Strict31 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:50 pm

sdsichero wrote:I am pretty sure th they have the strip down documented somewhere. Except for the hyperdrive issue, most of the ships in Star Wars pre-empire are sleeker than the Empire era ones. Lucas was probably going for a 1950s vs. 1970s kind of thing.

Or maybe a Enterprise NX-01 to an Enterprise NCC-1701 thing :-D

Unfortunately, it just ends up looking like Marty McFly left the delorean parked next to a Model T...

I mean, if it were a matter of comparing, say Amidala's space-SR-71 to Han Solo's Falcon, that would be different. You can easily see two different design ethics, representative of their time periods.

But these are the same two ships. The Y-wings in ANH are basically twenty year old versions of the Clone Wars era Y-Wings. But one looks like the Next Generation version.

I bet it even has a beard!

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:12 pm

Strict31 wrote:Unfortunately, it just ends up looking like Marty McFly left the delorean parked next to a Model T...

I mean, if it were a matter of comparing, say Amidala's space-SR-71 to Han Solo's Falcon, that would be different. You can easily see two different design ethics, representative of their time periods.

But these are the same two ships. The Y-wings in ANH are basically twenty year old versions of the Clone Wars era Y-Wings. But one looks like the Next Generation version.

I bet it even has a beard!

It could be that the Y-Wings (and who knows maybe these are considered to be precursors to Y-Wings) has had a design change along the way. Perhaps the manufacturing process became too costly, etc. The rebels were beat down pretty bad by the time we saw them in ANH.

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Strict31 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:24 pm

sdsichero wrote:It could be that the Y-Wings (and who knows maybe these are considered to be precursors to Y-Wings) has had a design change along the way. Perhaps the manufacturing process became too costly, etc. The rebels were beat down pretty bad by the time we saw them in ANH.

I don't want to get into the trap of asking Star Wars to make too much sense. I've tried that, and the process usually gets derailed right around the time light starts making sounds in space.

I'm just sayin', the earlier version looks more like a later model rather than the same ship 20 years ago.

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:42 pm

Strict31 wrote:I don't want to get into the trap of asking Star Wars to make too much sense. I've tried that, and the process usually gets derailed right around the time light starts making sounds in space.

I'm just sayin', the earlier version looks more like a later model rather than the same ship 20 years ago.

Understood. Though I sort of see it like a motorcycle without it's housing on. Might look like a totally different bike with the shell. Though if they are following the sketch's proportions, it does look like the nacelles and front guns are longer.

Nightfly
Staff Writer

Postby Nightfly » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:37 am

Strict31 wrote:I don't want to get into the trap of asking Star Wars to make too much sense. I've tried that, and the process usually gets derailed right around the time light starts making sounds in space.

I'm certainly not calling Lucas perfect but I buy a lot of the books about SW ships, especially the rpg books about ships, and I've usually been satisfied w/ his design change rationalizations.

I've actually been impressed at the amount of story they often offer explaining design changes and evolutions for various ships. I only remember once the explanation being as lame as a changed manufacturer.

It may not be available yet... but I have a strong feeling there'll be some novel, sourcebook, video game, or comic that explains/elaborates on the design change (even if only a little bit).
Follow me on Twitter for Entertainment news updates!
You have all the weapons you need... Now Fight!

Nightfly
Staff Writer

Postby Nightfly » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:46 am

DeadFett wrote:I really dislike Anakin's apprentice.

Based on the single aired epi so far? Or moreso based on the theatrical release?

I still haven't seen the theatrical flick, which I understand features her prominently, but at the moment I like her spunky attitude.

I spent so much negative energy hating Jar-Jar,... I've kinda decided beforehand to give this new Togrutan Padawan a chance.

I'm hoping it'll be a way to learn more about the Togrutans

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Strict31 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:02 am

Nightfly wrote:I'm certainly not calling Lucas perfect but I buy a lot of the books about SW ships, especially the rpg books about ships, and I've usually been satisfied w/ his design change rationalizations.

They're not his design change rationalizations, however. They are made by some cat employed by Wizards of the coast, or some random author who managed to score a book writing contract with Lucasbooks, or a videogame designer in Canada.

Nightfly
Staff Writer

Postby Nightfly » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:34 am

Strict31 wrote:They're not his design change rationalizations, however. They are made by some cat employed by Wizards of the coast, or some random author who managed to score a book writing contract with Lucasbooks, or a videogame designer in Canada.

I take your meaning.

As well as you know he signs off on everything bearing his name or characters, I know he isn't the sole writer/creator of everything related to SW.

If we get really really lucky maybe one day it'll be you or me writing his redesign rationalizations for some form of media! :D

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum