Monday, October 22, 2018 • Evening Edition • "72 slogans - collect 'em all!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

The Star Wars Thread

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Mon May 28, 2018 5:21 pm

zryson wrote:
I think there was some fan backlash in factoring how badly SOLO fared at the box office. Fans were already upset by how Disney/Rian Johnson treated beloved characters like Luke in The Last Jedi (that reunion scene between Leia and Luke was laughable for how badly it was written). Now fans can accept changes to characters but they also know when something is poorly portrayed, as Luke was in the Last Jedi for much of the film and after Harrison's Ford exit from Star Wars, it was poor planning on their part to think audiences would accept another actor who doesnt look like or act like the character he is supposed to be portraying. Its just sloppy management and with tumbling merchandise sales, Disney should heed what fans and the audience are saying, instead of just trying to make a desperate cash grab at any cost.

I think that just described all the Hollywood studios. Certainly Disney, WB with their DC slate, Universal with their Monster Universe. I don't know off hand what Paramount or Sony are doing these days, or if Fox is even doing anything before Disney (maybe) buys all their stuff.

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Mon May 28, 2018 5:30 pm

achilles wrote:
I think that just described all the Hollywood studios. Certainly Disney, WB with their DC slate, Universal with their Monster Universe. I don't know off hand what Paramount or Sony are doing these days, or if Fox is even doing anything before Disney (maybe) buys all their stuff.

Studios often put the cart before the horse in their rush for those dollars. If there's an upside to SOLO crashing at the box office in spectacular style, its that there is a long wait until the next Star Wars movie on the big screen. Hopefully by then, Disney would have learnt some valuable lessons and not to take the audience for granted.

uz000

Great Scott!!!

Postby uz000 » Tue May 29, 2018 12:09 pm

I don't think the short gap between TLJ and Solo factored into Solo's box office. It is the same gap as Black Panther and infinity War. The difference is a lot of people hate TLJ and are not watching Solo in protest. I would not be surprised if Rian Johnston's planned trilogy gets canned.

I thought Solo was pretty good. Much better than TLJ or TFA. Not as good as Rogue One though.

Rebirth NoctourneM

Rain Partier

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Tue May 29, 2018 12:29 pm

uz000 wrote:I don't think the short gap between TLJ and Solo factored into Solo's box office. It is the same gap as Black Panther and infinity War. The difference is a lot of people hate TLJ and are not watching Solo in protest. I would not be surprised if Rian Johnston's planned trilogy gets canned.

I thought Solo was pretty good. Much better than TLJ or TFA. Not as good as Rogue One though.

I will be pleasantly surprised if Rian Johnson doesn't get his trilogy.

Garofani Spruzzo

Rain Partier

Postby Garofani Spruzzo » Tue May 29, 2018 1:25 pm

I know it's a pipe dream, but I still wish Lucas had put Mark Hamill in charge of the direction the franchise would take after his retirement from it. Like a sort of Willy Wonka golden ticket. Because his heart is pure. Because he deserved it for staying true to the spirit of Star Wars.

Of course that's more fantasy than the movies, that's not the way things are done. Lucas sold everything to the biggest corporation with the most money and, by some accounts, lived to regret it.

uz000

Great Scott!!!

Postby uz000 » Tue May 29, 2018 3:16 pm

Windom URL wrote:I know it's a pipe dream, but I still wish Lucas had put Mark Hamill in charge of the direction the franchise would take after his retirement from it. Like a sort of Willy Wonka golden ticket. Because his heart is pure. Because he deserved it for staying true to the spirit of Star Wars.

Of course that's more fantasy than the movies, that's not the way things are done. Lucas sold everything to the biggest corporation with the most money and, by some accounts, lived to regret it.

Yeah, but he'd already destroyed the franchise before selling it. Anyone who says TLJ is worse than the prequels is kidding themselves. The prequels are crap. Lucas did us all a favour by exiting as the franchise gatekeeper.

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Tue May 29, 2018 3:53 pm

uz000 wrote:
Yeah, but he'd already destroyed the franchise before selling it. Anyone who says TLJ is worse than the prequels is kidding themselves. The prequels are crap. Lucas did us all a favour by exiting as the franchise gatekeeper.

I dunno, man.

As bad as the Prequels were, I don't think they went out of their way to crap on the legacies of certain characters.

Yeah, Boba Fett was a kid and Anakin was a whiner.

Still better than Luke trying to murder his nephew because he might go bad.

Midichlorians?

Not great, but better than the concept of fuel being introduced and, at the same time, tying hands.

IMO, there's lots more examples out there.

Garofani Spruzzo

Rain Partier

Postby Garofani Spruzzo » Tue May 29, 2018 4:00 pm

I was talking about looking forward from the prequels, not backward. I'm not defending their quality, but Lucas was still the man in charge at that point so he got to decide who or what to hand it off to.

Besides, everybody knows his ex-wife who was erased from the story of the creation of star wars, sometimes quite literally, was the woman who should share near-equal credit with George for the classics. But spite is a powerful emotion especially for those with limited "emotional intelligence".

Garofani Spruzzo

Rain Partier

Postby Garofani Spruzzo » Tue May 29, 2018 4:02 pm

The new franchise has already squandered anything that stood to elevate them from the prequels anyway. And they were huge nonetheless, not SoLow, I mean Solo.

Garofani Spruzzo

Rain Partier

Postby Garofani Spruzzo » Tue May 29, 2018 4:03 pm

The new franchise has already squandered anything that stood to elevate them from the prequels anyway. And they were huge nonetheless, not SoLow, I mean Solo.

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Tue May 29, 2018 5:29 pm

Windom URL wrote:I was talking about looking forward from the prequels, not backward. I'm not defending their quality, but Lucas was still the man in charge at that point so he got to decide who or what to hand it off to.

Besides, everybody knows his ex-wife who was erased from the story of the creation of star wars, sometimes quite literally, was the woman who should share near-equal credit with George for the classics. But spite is a powerful emotion especially for those with limited "emotional intelligence".

What people seem to forget is that Lucas was an idea man only, with many of those ideas bad. He only succeeded when he had people he was willing to listen to that could talk him down from his stupider ideas, and help him develop his stories...or outright do it themselves.

For example the original story for Star Wars (1977), was by all accounts a hot steaming mess, Joseph Campbell notwithstanding. The opening credit crawl he stole from the original Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon shows, and it had to be rewritten by Brian DePalma in order for it to not suck donkey balls. Lucas' original crawl was basically a novel. DePalma understood it was garbage and pared it down to the final size and wording.

And Raiders was an idea Lucas had around the time he started work on writing Star Wars. It was actually written by Lawrence Kasdan. Phillip Kaufman came up with the idea of the Ark, not Lucas. And I don't think anyone would have been interested in "The Adventures of Indiana Smith", Lucas' original title and character name, (Spielberg suggested "Jones"). The boulder was Spielberg's too.

So yeah, Lucas did some good stuff, but only back when he was willing to listen to other people and work with them. If he was still in charge of the Star Wars movies, there's no indication humility would have set in and he would have suddenly started listening to people who might have provided a sanity check, or helped him develop his stories.

Yeah, Kennedy seems to be a total waste, but it likely wasn't going to be any better no matter what. Any studio would have wrecked the property in much the same way as Disney did with her help. They would all have churned out movie after movie until they did one only about the space gerbils. They all would have spat on the beloved classic characters.

uz000

Great Scott!!!

Postby uz000 » Tue May 29, 2018 10:24 pm

HNutz wrote:
I dunno, man.

As bad as the Prequels were, I don't think they went out of their way to crap on the legacies of certain characters.

Yeah, Boba Fett was a kid and Anakin was a whiner.

Still better than Luke trying to murder his nephew because he might go bad.

Midichlorians?

Not great, but better than the concept of fuel being introduced and, at the same time, tying hands.

IMO, there's lots more examples out there.

I don't see how wrecking young Darth Vader or young Bobba Fett is worse than wrecking old Luke or old Han?

I can rewatch the sequels no problem, I will never watch the prequels again, though the lightsabre fights are great.

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:40 pm

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:21 am

SOLO thoroughly deserved to sink at the box office but has Disney learnt important lessons from the experience? Perhaps not.

Lucasfilm "Licking Their Wounds" But Not Halting 'Star Wars' Development
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... nt-1122655

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:14 pm

leave a comment with facebook