Friday, August 17, 2018 • Morning Edition • "Yellow journalism at its finest."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

The Superman-Less Superman Show Krypton Gets A Release Date

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Rebirth NoctourneM

Rain Partier

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:23 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:
You apparently give enough of a crap that you are frequently posting about it. You could have started a new thread. :P

Or we could let writers get hits :smt102 Does make it a bit of a challenge on magician wednesdays though. :P

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:03 pm

90 posts in this thread already...

Yeah, this could be it.

Johnnie Torch

cheese

Postby Johnnie Torch » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:30 pm

achilles wrote:
Here's the thing; we don't owe it to WB to watch one or two or however many episodes of anything, they've got to EARN it. They do that by a show concept we can get behind, characters we know and care about one way or another, and finally a trailer that excites our interest. Given the amount of other demands on our time, that's what it takes. It's what I demand of anything I watch. And I must admit, WB's track record doesn't help matters, nor does Goyer's spotty, sometimes great, sometimes awful record help.

Personally, there were a few things about that trailer that intrigued me, given my tastes, just not enough to bother with, and they went by to fast to tell if I might have liked them. And the choice of costuming for Strange....just bothered me, af if THEY couldn't be bothered to get it right. They should know that if they use a character like that, fans will have certain expectations. It really seemed to me that whoever put together that trailer doesn't understand the concept of how to do that task.

As I said some posts ago, I was sort of against Cobra Kai, that Youtube thing with Macchio and Zabka, but when THEY finally put up their full length trailer, they gave me a spin I wasn't expecting, one that I find intriguing. THAT was how to do a trailer, not Krypton.

Let me stop you right there. How do they earn that right, if everyone here seemingly already passed judgement from a 20- ish second promo? I mean, it's one thing to say, 'I watched the pilot, don't like the premise, yada yada yada'. But most people here seem to have reverted to the site's tried & true anti-DC bias. "If it's DC, chances are it's bad." I'm just saying the concept is pretty darn cool. It's not "Superman without Superman", it's not "Batman with teen Batman", it's an honest to goodness new concept, that trades on the character's history. Not sure why that's automatically a bad thing. :smt102

GiveWarAChance

Silly French Man

Postby GiveWarAChance » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:27 pm

I watched the pilot episode. I thought it was a mixed bag. I wasn't blown away, but I thought there was enough interesting stuff for me to give the second episode a chance. The show has potential.

Rebirth NoctourneM

Rain Partier

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:38 pm

Johnnie Torch wrote:Let me stop you right there. How do they earn that right, if everyone here seemingly already passed judgement from a 20- ish second promo? I mean, it's one thing to say, 'I watched the pilot, don't like the premise, yada yada yada'. But most people here seem to have reverted to the site's tried & true anti-DC bias. "If it's DC, chances are it's bad." I'm just saying the concept is pretty darn cool. It's not "Superman without Superman", it's not "Batman with teen Batman", it's an honest to goodness new concept, that trades on the character's history. Not sure why that's automatically a bad thing. :smt102

Well, the thing I don't think you realize here is superman fans, for whatever reason, hat COIE and everything after. And don't let it stop there. "It was too dystopian" -Guy talking about series set on planet that explodes, and has numerously been depicted as being ravaged by braniac immediately prior to that explosion. :lol:

At the end of the day Syfy somehow rebranded and started putting out good tv, not sure how exactly, but apparently that happened. The premise is interesting, I think adam strange is a good choice, and I'm interested to see what's going to happen next.

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:48 pm

It was... interesting.

Not 100% sure how I feel about it yet.

But I'll probably watch more of it.

Wish they had given Adam Strange a more comic accurate look, though.

Laughed out loud when they were showing major DC writers/artists and they got to Bendis.

C'mon, even Frank Miller has more Superman stories under his belt at the moment.

Johnnie Torch

cheese

Postby Johnnie Torch » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:55 pm

Rebirth NoctourneM wrote:
Well, the thing I don't think you realize here is superman fans, for whatever reason, hat COIE and everything after. And don't let it stop there. "It was too dystopian" -Guy talking about series set on planet that explodes, and has numerously been depicted as being ravaged by braniac immediately prior to that explosion. :lol:

At the end of the day Syfy somehow rebranded and started putting out good tv, not sure how exactly, but apparently that happened. The premise is interesting, I think adam strange is a good choice, and I'm interested to see what's going to happen next.

Yeah, I didn't have the heart to point that out to him. :smt005

Johnnie Torch

cheese

Postby Johnnie Torch » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:57 pm

HNutz wrote:It was... interesting.

Not 100% sure how I feel about it yet.

But I'll probably watch more of it.

Wish they had given Adam Strange a more comic accurate look, though.

Laughed out loud when they were showing major DC writers/artists and they got to Bendis.

C'mon, even Frank Miller has more Superman stories under his belt at the moment.

Ditto.

Spacedog

Expert Post Whore

Postby Spacedog » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:13 am

Johnnie Torch wrote:Let me stop you right there. How do they earn that right, if everyone here seemingly already passed judgement from a 20- ish second promo? I mean, it's one thing to say, 'I watched the pilot, don't like the premise, yada yada yada'. But most people here seem to have reverted to the site's tried & true anti-DC bias. "If it's DC, chances are it's bad." I'm just saying the concept is pretty darn cool. It's not "Superman without Superman", it's not "Batman with teen Batman", it's an honest to goodness new concept, that trades on the character's history. Not sure why that's automatically a bad thing. :smt102

You have made some good points, and I partially agree with you. Yes, people should watch it before passing judgement.

On the other hand, I think the "tried & true anti-DC bias" you mentioned comes mostly from its parent company, Time Warner/WB. The damage they caused to DC Comics' intellectual properties in the last 5-6 years is massive, and they have no one to blame but themselves.

People have more than enough reasons to be wary about live-action adaptations of DC's properties. It will take lots of effort and hard work to change this negative perception attached to DC's projects.

Rebirth NoctourneM

Rain Partier

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:16 am

Johnnie Torch wrote:Yeah, I didn't have the heart to point that out to him. :smt005

You cant let that one pass, even the people who hate superman were a little wtf. :lol:

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:25 am

Johnnie Torch wrote:Ditto.

I'm not even saying they had to go with the armored spacefighter look. It might not have been appropriate at this juncture. I get that.

But, instead of this:

Maybe something like:

Even just sticking with the color scheme would have been nice.

Rebirth NoctourneM

Rain Partier

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:34 am

HNutz wrote:
I'm not even saying they had to go with the armored spacefighter look. It might not have been appropriate at this juncture. I get that.

But, instead of this:

Maybe something like:

Even just sticking with the color scheme would have been nice.

I think they picked him because he could be dropped off on an alien planet with minimal suplies. Give him time, he'll accessorize. Do you think jor el was inspired by his armor design?

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:58 am

I believe I told you how they earn it, pretty much my whole post there. They failed. It's nice you like the concept, but I don't, and others here don't. I might also point out that the whole POINT of promos is to get people interested in the show, enough to watch, yet you and Ivy seem puzzled that some of us weren't. Trailer fail, as I said.

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:05 am

Rebirth NoctourneM wrote:

Well I at least didn't say it was too dystopian. I said I didn't care one little bit about any of the characters, or the situation and set-up. I said that IMO the whole series was pointless, as nothing about it was going to matter. "Save Superman", geeze, I wonder how that's going to turn out? They can feel free to kill off whoever they want on that show and I won't care one bit.

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:26 am

achilles wrote:
Well I at least didn't say it was too dystopian. I said I didn't care one little bit about any of the characters, or the situation and set-up. I said that IMO the whole series was pointless, as nothing about it was going to matter. "Save Superman", geeze, I wonder how that's going to turn out? They can feel free to kill off whoever they want on that show and I won't care one bit.

Except for Adam Strange. 8)

leave a comment with facebook