Advertisement

The Tale Of Princess Kaguya Rises In North America This October

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 241 posts

The Tale Of Princess Kaguya Rises In North America This October

Postby LOLtron » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:07 pm

Sailor Moon is not the only moon-themed anime this year.

Source: ‘Tale Of The Princess Kaguya’ Sets English-Language Voice Cast, October Release Date

Initially announced at the same time as Hayao Miyazaki's The Wind Rises, The Tale of Princess Kaguya (Kaguya-hime no Monogatari) is directed by Studio Ghibli veteran Isao Takahata (Grave of the Fireflies, Pom Poko) and chronicles the life of the mysterious girl Kaguya. While there was early word that GKids would be bringing both films West early on, we now have a release date for the Princess Kaguya in North America (The Wind Rises opened in wide release in February): October 17, 2014. Along with the release date it was revealed that Chloë Grace Moretz is voicing Kaguya along with Beau Bridges, James Caan, Dean Cain, John Cho, Darren Criss, Lucy Liu, James Marsden, Oliver Platt, and Mary Steenburgen as the cast for the English version of the film.

The Tale of Princess Kaguya is based on the old Japanese folktale "The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter" (Taketori Monogatari). Like the original tale, the animated movie tells the story of an old childless bamboo cutter discovering a tiny girl in a bamboo stalk. The tiny girl grows into a beautiful girl who would soon be persued by five suitors who she has little interest in. The story also explores Kaguya's mysterious lunar connection.

Those who have followed the conversation in the Anime & Manga thread here in The Outhouse may know that this reporter is very interested in the film and its beautiful art style. Here's a look at the extended Japanese trailer for the film:

The English poster for the film:

The Tale of Princess Kaguya poster

Written or Contributed by sdsichero

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

TimH
cheese

Liked in: 214 posts

Re: The Tale Of Princess Kaguya Rises In North America This

Postby TimH » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:41 pm

Is it still anime if the animation is good?

TimH
cheese

Postby TimH » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:58 pm

nihongo-o bokuga yomerunde. watashiga totemo keeeeewwwwwwl da yo.

OK, just joking. But it is fun catching a few bits and pieces here and there.

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 564 posts
Title: I have no idea…
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:36 am

TimH wrote:Is it still anime if the animation is good?

I guess I have to chip in to get you banned for a week! :smt013
Image Image Image ImageImage

TimH
cheese

Postby TimH » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:59 am

sdsichero wrote:I guess I have to chip in to get you banned for a week! :smt013

Heh, I had a colleague in a previous group at work who decked his cube out with a collected edition of his favorite manga or anime boxed sets.

Yet all of the titles featured what to the untrained eye looked like elementary school girls puckering up for kisses.

And, I was thinking, "Bro, you sure you want to disclose this to untrained Japano-agnostics?" The company I work for isn't exactly the jet set crowd (though we make jets, go figure).

But, hey, man, I kid the anime lovers. :smt064 I do. A good friend of mine (in his 50s) tells me he was a huge anime fan. And, yes, he didn't marry until age 48. And, yes, I avoid asking him... too many questions.

But, hey, man, seriously, I do like good animation.

Would you believe Shanghai had its own premier animation studio decades before Studio Ghibli?

Here is the studio's classic, Monkey King's Havoc in Heaven. The studio, run by the Wan Brothers, survived through the Cultural Revolution (during which it produced nice quality stop motion puppet cartoons), but disbanded around 1975.

For some reason I can't embed the movie (HTML5?), but here is the link to their classic Havoc in Heaven feature film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDrPx3R ... qV9kdat_kQ

Here is an overview of the history of Chinese animation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of ... _Animation

As for modern Chinese animation, I don't have much good to say. :( Last time I was in Beijing, 2011 or so, an animated feature film rendered with computer graphics was being marketed, but it was a disturbingly vulgar Tom and Jerry like cartoon with humor that seemed too crude for its target audience (and not funny at all to me as an adult).

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Asylum