Advertisement

The Walking Dead 3.16 "Welcome to the Tombs" - RATE IT!

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

"Welcome to the Tombs" - RATE IT!

10%

doombug, S.F. Jude Terror, syxxpakk
10%

Eli Katz, holtom2000, oogy
7%

misac, pastajoe
10%

dairydead, Grayson, jeremy
3%

PDH
14%

GiveWarAChance, kwiktpyer, Lord Simian, superfictious
7%

GHERU, MistaT
10%

e_galston, GOSD, xshane666x
17%

Amoebas, Chris, guitarsmashley, IvCNuB4, Victorian Squid
10%

Frag, Zechs

Total votes : 29

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 427 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Re: The Walking Dead 3.16 "Welcome to the Tombs" - RATE IT!

Postby IvCNuB4 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:35 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote::lol:

:lol: :lol:

Points to Jubilee for taking the tactful approach, though. :smt023
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Advertisement

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 49 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:19 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
Ok.

So the only plausible explanation for Andrea not going back for the truck was that Andrea was stupid and that, though the writers knew the truck was there, Andrea could think only of running into the woods and getting away.

However, the very fact that Andrea's death was meant to be the big moment of the finale shows that the writers are completely oblivious to how reviled Andrea was and how stupid she acts as a character. In fact, based on their expectations, it would be reasonable to assume that they view Andrea as a likable, capable, character. We see her, at times, easily dispatch waves of zombies singlehandedly. She's shown to be more competent than most of the citizens of Woodbury and looked up to by many of them as a leader. Even Rick, who is a coldhearted bastard, is tender toward her in her final moments. She borders on Mary Sue territory, at least in the eyes of the writers.

But to the fans, she's reviled. It's not because the writers don't WANT her to be liked. They are just terrible writers. Fuck, Merle's death was more moving than hers, and he was a psychotic racist drug addict murderer.

So, IMO, this is conclusive evidence that the truck SNAFU was the result of bad writing, not legitimate storytelling.

TL;DR, Strict!

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 64 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:14 am

One question and a few comments:

First, I have a question about the truck and the criticism that Andrea didn't slash its tires. Are we really supposed to believe that the Gov caught up to her with the truck? There is no scene showing him using it again. And he sneaks up behind Andrea seconds after she emerges from a forest, where it would be impossible to drive a truck. So I don't really see this criticism as a fatal blow against the episode or the character.

Overall, the last few episodes have been generally quite good. Not perfect , but pretty good. And I have enjoyed them especially because they have deviated from the comic significantly. Above all, the Governor in the show is much more interesting and frightening than the Governor in the comic. And so I am glad that he will be back next season. My view is that his two flunkies stuck by him, because they are clueless losers who have developed a sick, twisted, cultlike dependency on him.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 478 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:39 am

Eli Katz wrote:One question and a few comments:

First, I have a question about the truck and the criticism that Andrea didn't slash its tires. Are we really supposed to believe that the Gov caught up to her with the truck? There is no scene showing him using it again. And he sneaks up behind Andrea seconds after she emerges from a forest, where it would be impossible to drive a truck. So I don't really see this criticism as a fatal blow against the episode or the character.

Let's say he didn't take the truck. This means he had to subdue and carry Andrea back to the truck with fighting off zombies (that were shown to be plentiful) for many miles while being exhausted from his zombie fight. Not very likely imo.

Eli Katz wrote:Overall, the last few episodes have been generally quite good. Not perfect , but pretty good. And I have enjoyed them especially because they have deviated from the comic significantly. Above all, the Governor in the show is much more interesting and frightening than the Governor in the comic. And so I am glad that he will be back next season. My view is that his two flunkies stuck by him, because they are clueless losers who have developed a sick, twisted, cultlike dependency on him.

"frightening"? I wouldn't go that far. More psycho, maybe more dangerous, but not frightening. I'm sure Rick and the gang aren't shivering in fear for someone they absolutely now know needs to be put down.

As for Tweedle Dum & Dee. That wasn't love that got them into the Gov's truck, it wasn't fear. It was confusion. Besides - I figure with Lori and Andrea dead, somebody has to step up and be the moronic character on the show. Bout time it was a male (times 2 to make it even with the ladies).

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 64 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:01 am

Well, he wouldn't need to carry her. He could twist her arm, or grab her by the back of the neck, or yank her by the hair, and force her to stagger back. By this point, she's exhausted, defeated, and in no shape to fight. Once they reach the truck, then he subdues her (i.e., punches her out) and drives back to town. The guy is large enough to do all that, and avoid the zombies.

But here's the bigger point: yes, you can find gaps in the plausibility of certain outcomes or certain scenes. I recognize that the show is structured for maximum drama, not maximum realism. So I am willing to overlook aspects of the show to enjoy overall journey.

If you find every last episode deeply flawed and filled with irritating plot gaps, why continue to watch the show? I see Walking Dead much like 24: you either give yourself over to the thrills or else you become obsessed with the absurdities of certain plot points.

For me, the thrills of Walking Dead still easily outweigh the absurdities. So I don't care if everything makes perfect sense.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 478 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:42 am

Eli Katz wrote:Well, he wouldn't need to carry her. He could twist her arm, or grab her by the back of the neck, or yank her by the hair, and force her to stagger back. By this point, she's exhausted, defeated, and in no shape to fight. Once they reach the truck, then he subdues her (i.e., punches her out) and drives back to town. The guy is large enough to do all that, and avoid the zombies.

But here's the bigger point: yes, you can find gaps in the plausibility of certain outcomes or certain scenes. I recognize that the show is structured for maximum drama, not maximum realism. So I am willing to overlook aspects of the show to enjoy overall journey.

If you find every last episode deeply flawed and filled with irritating plot gaps, why continue to watch the show? I see Walking Dead much like 24: you either give yourself over to the thrills or else you become obsessed with the absurdities of certain plot points.

For me, the thrills of Walking Dead still easily outweigh the absurdities. So I don't care if everything makes perfect sense.

It never bothered me that Jack Bauer never went to the bathroom or that he never had wait an hour for his phone to charge - those are things that I can ignore - just like I can ignore similar ones on Walking Dead.

What I can't ignore is sheer stupidity. Whether it be Kim Bauer and the cougar) or Andrea not slashing the tires.

Other than this level of stupidity it's a good show worth watching.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 382 posts

Postby GHERU » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:01 am

1 - no matter if he used it or not, Andrea should have taken or disabled the truck no matter what

2 - my interpretation of the events left the Gov in the warehouse surrounded by walkers and then he is magically one step behind Angela and unless he killed all the walkers in under a minute, then there was no way he caught up that quickly on his feet. He knew where she was going, and using roads it is easy to figure that he got there ahead of her and waited.

I love this show, but Angela / the writers made some shitty choices
and I'm glad she's dead
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:35 am

GHERU wrote:my interpretation of the events left the Gov in the warehouse surrounded by walkers and then he is magically one step behind Angela and unless he killed all the walkers in under a minute, then there was no way he caught up that quickly on his feet. He knew where she was going, and using roads it is easy to figure that he got there ahead of her and waited.

Or the Gov had access to a motorcycle. Clearly in the Walking Dead-verse all motorcycles are equipped with cloaking field tech that also negates the normally loud engine. How else can you explain Daryl frequently driving within arms reach of entire packs of Walkers who seem completely oblivious to his prescence ? :P
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1079 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:41 am

IvCNuB4 wrote:Or the Gov had access to a motorcycle. Clearly in the Walking Dead-verse all motorcycles are equipped with cloaking field tech that also negates the normally loud engine. How else can you explain Daryl frequently driving within arms reach of entire packs of Walkers who seem completely oblivious to his prescence ? :P

Fact: Zombies don't really do a lot besides wander around aimlessly and attempt to eat people but they do fear Daryl.
ImageImageImage

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:55 am

IvCNuB4 wrote:
Or the Gov had access to a motorcycle. Clearly in the Walking Dead-verse all motorcycles are equipped with cloaking field tech that also negates the normally loud engine. How else can you explain Daryl frequently driving within arms reach of entire packs of Walkers who seem completely oblivious to his prescence ? :P

Zombies aren't alerted by sound. :shrug:

I believe this is established in both the book and the show.

They're governed by smell.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1079 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:02 am

Chris wrote:Zombies aren't alerted by sound. :shrug:

I believe this is established in both the book and the show.

They're governed by smell.

I thought that the zombie herd that attacked the farm at the end of season 2 was attracted by the gunshots from Rick and Carl shooting Shane and Zombie Shane. :smt102
ImageImageImage

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:07 am

Grayson wrote:
I thought that the zombie herd that attacked the farm at the end of season 2 was attracted by the gunshots from Rick and Carl shooting Shane and Zombie Shane. :smt102

Yeah, I was just talking out of my ass.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 967 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:10 pm

Eli Katz wrote:Well, he wouldn't need to carry her. He could twist her arm, or grab her by the back of the neck, or yank her by the hair, and force her to stagger back. By this point, she's exhausted, defeated, and in no shape to fight. Once they reach the truck, then he subdues her (i.e., punches her out) and drives back to town. The guy is large enough to do all that, and avoid the zombies.

It's not the absurdities of plot points. It's the poor writing. Don't make a big deal out of the existence of the truck and then ignore it. That's all. I wouldn't compare it to Jack Bauer not using the bathroom. Instead, I'd compare it to Jack Bauer's daughter making the dumbest possible decisions over and over again just to put her in a situation where she can be repeatedly kidnapped. Because the writers aren't more clever, a character ends up coming off as stupid, when that is not the writers' intentions. Obviously, they wanted Andrea to be shown as a capable character (she is a "leader," she is a formidable fighter and survivalist, she has good intentions, her death is the climax of the finale of the season), but instead people find her to be a sanctimonious idiot. Not because she was written to be a sanctimonious idiot. Because the writers suck at writing.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 107 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:53 pm

I certainly didn't expect to see Andrea die.
Final season was quite good.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:48 pm

Silencer or butt-plug ? You be the judge :twisted:

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum