Advertisement

The Wheel of Time - A Memory of Light

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 141 posts

The Wheel of Time - A Memory of Light

Postby MrBlack » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:42 pm

The final book in the series comes out January 8, 2013. Anyone else a fan?

Advertisement

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 342 posts

Re: The Wheel of Time - A Memory of Light

Postby Lord Simian » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:03 pm

Yup. In fact, I'm re-reading the series right now to get ready for the last book!

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:31 pm

Most of my books are still in boxes, although I did manage to dig out the last couple that were written by Brandon Sanderson. Lots of big reveals in those, particularly in terms of expanding the scope of the world (the plot is getting much more metaphysical).

I've been reading this since the early 90's, so it will be hard to let the series go, especially since at least one of my favorite characters is all but guaranteed to die.

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:32 pm

MrBlack wrote:Most of my books are still in boxes, although I did manage to dig out the last couple that were written by Brandon Sanderson. Lots of big reveals in those, particularly in terms of expanding the scope of the world (the plot is getting much more metaphysical).

I've been reading this since the early 90's, so it will be hard to let the series go, especially since at least one of my favorite characters is all but guaranteed to die.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure at least one of the three main characters is a goner. And I think I know who, which sucks. Cause he's my favorite. :)

Kong created the Outhouse to train the Faithful. One cannot go against the Word of Kong.---
The Teachings of Pawl Monk'Dib

Monkey, I like your style!
--Lex Luthor

Zenguru wrote:I trust Lord Simian's word more than my friend.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:34 pm

Lord Simian wrote:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure at least one of the three main characters is a goner. And I think I know who, which sucks. Cause he's my favorite. :)

When you've got a dark prophecy calling for your death and the penultimate book ends with you leading an army against a force four times your size, your chances of survival don't exactly look stellar.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 539 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:38 pm

Obviously you guys are still invested, but overall how do you feel Sanderson did taking over the series?

I'm interested in reading it, but I was apprehensive knowing that Jordan was unable to finish.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:53 pm

It's a mixed bag.

Pros:
-Robert Jordan got too bogged down with plot after book 5. The books were still entertaining, but they were sloooooooow. Brandon Sanderson reads much faster.
-The female characters have more distinct voices under Sanderson. Jordan's female characters were all variations on the same theme, and were nearly indistinguishable from each other absent individual quirks (Nyneave pulling her hair, Elayne's cursing, etc.).

Cons:
-Some of the characters are a bit off, Mat and Perrin in particular. I like Sanderson's take on Mat, but it's a much different version of the character than Jordan established. The same is true for Perrin to a lesser degree. On the positive side, Jordan's characterization could be a bit flat at times, while Sanderson gives each character a distinct voice and personality.
-Sanderson just doesn't know the material as well as Jordan. There are more mistakes and continuity errors that might drive a hardcore fan nuts.
-Speaking of continuity, Jordan usually kept events moving chronologically; character POVs from chapter to chapter happened within the same frame of time. The problem is that Jordan deviated from this in the last couple of books with respect to Perrin's storyline, which ended up a month or two behind the rest of the storylines. This was a big problem for Sanderson, who had to catch Perrin up while moving the other characters toward their own endgames. The result is that one character shows up in two different places in two consecutive chapters, becuse those chapters do not happen chronologically. It's not really Sanderson's fault, but it is a bit jarring.

On the whole, I've enjoyed Sanderson's work. I like the more dynamic character elements he has brought to the story, and while some of the world-building (Jordan's specialty) has suffered, that isn't quite so crucial to the story this late in the game.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:55 pm

FYI, Jordan managed to write a few big chunks of material before passing away. This includes several chapters from the climax of the penultimate book, as well as most of the ending of the series.

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:08 pm

MrBlack wrote:FYI, Jordan managed to write a few big chunks of material before passing away. This includes several chapters from the climax of the penultimate book, as well as most of the ending of the series.

Also, Sanderson has an advantage in the fact the his editor is Jordan's editor. Who is also Jordan's widow.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:18 pm

Lord Simian wrote:
Also, Sanderson has an advantage in the fact the his editor is Jordan's editor. Who is also Jordan's widow.

She's edited content and grammar/spelling on the last two books. Sanderson also has two assistants who are experts on WoT mythology to assist him on the mechanics and lore of the world. The problem is that the last two books, especially Towers of Midnight, were rushed to release, and did not get the editing that they should have. The most recent book was delayed specifically to give the parties more time to refine it.

I actually met Harriet at a book signing for Towers of Midnight. She thought my son was cute. :-D

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 539 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:13 pm

well the first book is only 7 bucks on kindle so I'll probably get it.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:00 pm

Rockman wrote:well the first book is only 7 bucks on kindle so I'll probably get it.

The first book is a good read by itself.

Cernunnos
Swedish Pinata of Death

Liked in: 4 posts

Postby Cernunnos » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:48 pm

I've been reading the series off and on since I graduated from high school almost twenty years ago, so I felt like I've come to know Rand, Mat, Perrin, and the gang pretty well. I don't know how I'll feel when I read the last book.
When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:41 am

Cernunnos wrote:I've been reading the series off and on since I graduated from high school almost twenty years ago, so I felt like I've come to know Rand, Mat, Perrin, and the gang pretty well. I don't know how I'll feel when I read the last book.

If the ending is good, I'll be satisfied. There's been an astounding amount written about each of them to re-read, plus the revised Wheel of Time Encyclopedia which may make its way out in the next few years.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:04 am

I've read up to Chapter 2 in the new book and reading Sanderson is like reading an abridged version of Jordan. The fact that it's so noticeable I find majorly annoying, but, there's nothing that can done about it.

Hab

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum