Advertisement

Thor: The Dark World (Spoliers)

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1075 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: Thor: The Dark World (Spoliers)

Postby Grayson » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:47 pm

I know that there was a lot of speculation when the Avengers was released that the stone on Loki's scepter was in fact the Mind Gem. I just rewatched the film this afternoon and now I kind of wonder if there isn't something to that.
ImageImageImage

Advertisement

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 388 posts

Postby Draco x » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:07 am

Chris wrote:Marvel has the rights.

Thank God for that. If we're lucky Marvel can eventually get the rights to FF back as well.

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 167 posts
Title: Ain't enough space bitches

Postby Strict31 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:25 am

Grayson wrote:I know that there was a lot of speculation when the Avengers was released that the stone on Loki's scepter was in fact the Mind Gem. I just rewatched the film this afternoon and now I kind of wonder if there isn't something to that.

That's what Bob Chipman ("Movie Bob" at the escapistmagazine.com) seems to think. But I'm not sure--if I was Thanos--that I'd just let a dude like Loki to have something like that. Especially if I'm planning on eventually pimping my gauntlet with a full set.

But then again, Thanos doesn't strike me as the most discriminating of intellects. If he was, he'd dump Death for a girl with some meat on her bones...

I mean, it does seem like it was kinda on-the-nose, with the whole influencing their minds bit. Maybe Thanos really is just a cosmic version of a fool and was perfectly fine with Loki's untrustworthy ass having one of the things that forms the most powerful item in the universe...just for the purpose of blowing a few people and buildings up. I'm sure Loki would have given it back if Thanos asked nicely.

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."

Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 698 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney

Postby outsider » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:32 am

Grayson wrote:I know that there was a lot of speculation when the Avengers was released that the stone on Loki's scepter was in fact the Mind Gem. I just rewatched the film this afternoon and now I kind of wonder if there isn't something to that.
It could be that the sceptre Thanos gave Loki had access to the Mind gem...? Or maybe Thanos figured he could bitchslap Loki at any time and just take it back? :smt102
-

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 49 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:41 am

The scepter just seemed to be powered by the tesseract to me. Remember it was the only thing capable of interacting with the cube because of that.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:19 am

Chris wrote:The scepter just seemed to be powered by the tesseract to me. Remember it was the only thing capable of interacting with the cube because of that.

I considered that but that doesn't explain why an item powered by the Tesseract or the Space Gem would be capable of dominating people's minds. It would also give another explanation for why the scepter could interact with the Tesseract because rather than simply being powered by it, the scepter was an artifact that was equal in power to it.

As far as why Thanos would trust Loki with such a powerful item...his little stooge summed it up pretty well in the Avengers when he said that there wasn't a place in all the realms that Loki could have hid from them. Perhaps Thanos is simply that confident. Maybe he didn't feel the need to share the scepter's true power or nature with the god of mischief because of that pesky mischief part of his name. Who knows? I just think it would provide Marvel with an easy way to bring everything back around to the start when everybody ultimately begins actively looking for the remaining gems. Hell, let the scepter pop up in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. eventually just to tie it in with the rest of the universe a little more.

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 167 posts
Title: Ain't enough space bitches

Postby Strict31 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:30 am

Grayson wrote:
I considered that but that doesn't explain why an item powered by the Tesseract or the Space Gem would be capable of dominating people's minds. It would also give another explanation for why the scepter could interact with the Tesseract because rather than simply being powered by it, the scepter was an artifact that was equal in power to it.

As far as why Thanos would trust Loki with such a powerful item...his little stooge summed it up pretty well in the Avengers when he said that there wasn't a place in all the realms that Loki could have hid from them. Perhaps Thanos is simply that confident. Maybe he didn't feel the need to share the scepter's true power or nature with the god of mischief because of that pesky mischief part of his name. Who knows? I just think it would provide Marvel with an easy way to bring everything back around to the start when everybody ultimately begins actively looking for the remaining gems. Hell, let the scepter pop up in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. eventually just to tie it in with the rest of the universe a little more.

I think Thanos giving Loki an item that is not simply useful for explosions, but is rather one of the most powerful objects in reality is a major flaw in writing. Thanos may be confident...may be overconfident. But the last thing he should be is stupid. He may look upon Loki as a weak-minded fool, but there is still no good reason to give a weak-minded fool one of the most powerful items in the universe.

Best case scenario, Loki is gonna betray you after he takes over Earth, because it's Loki. Worst case scenario, Loki is gonna figure out how to use the item after he takes over earth and do butt-stuff with your girlfriend, Death.

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."

Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:43 am

Strict31 wrote:I think Thanos giving Loki an item that is not simply useful for explosions, but is rather one of the most powerful objects in reality is a major flaw in writing. Thanos may be confident...may be overconfident. But the last thing he should be is stupid. He may look upon Loki as a weak-minded fool, but there is still no good reason to give a weak-minded fool one of the most powerful items in the universe.

Best case scenario, Loki is gonna betray you after he takes over Earth, because it's Loki. Worst case scenario, Loki is gonna figure out how to use the item after he takes over earth and do butt-stuff with your girlfriend, Death.

Perhaps. Then again maybe Thanos can afford to be that confident because he has the Time Gem, so while Loki is doing butt-stuff with Death, Thanos has gone back in time and done butt-stuff with his mom. OR, maybe Thanos has the Reality Gem and while you think you are doing butt-stuff with Death, Justin Bieber is actually doing butt-stuff with you while you do butt-stuff with George Zimmerman. Fuck, let's just say that Thanos has turned all three of them into a Human Centipede with Kim Kardashian as the front and be done with it. :P

In retrospect, I'm not proud of what just happened here...

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The Asylum