Advertisement

Thor: The Dark World (Spoliers)

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1445 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: Thor: The Dark World (Spoliers)

Postby Grayson » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:05 pm

Hermit_Sage wrote:Yeah I've seen the CA2 trailers that have come out, and the one they showed at 3D showings was a different one with other scenes then the they have released.

I assume that eventually it'll get leaked on the internet.

Huh, well that sucks. I would have loved to see a new Captain America trailer but I'm not about to go to a 3D movie just to watch it. Hopefully it won't be long before it's leaked.
ImageImageImage

Advertisement

HNutz
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 994 posts

Postby HNutz » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:18 pm

I liked Thor TDW more than the first one, MoS and IM3.

Jack Burton
biny little tird

Liked in: 53 posts

Postby Jack Burton » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:05 pm

So I just came back and I really liked it. I thought it was better than the first one.

One thing I came away with and that was this felt an awful lot like Kirby'sNew Gods to me.

This may be because I've just read through all the DC New Gods Omnibus recently but it really did. I think it was because I felt like they doubled down more on the Asgardians as aliens with a vast amount of technology in this film. All the tech and weapons had this very Kirby feel which I loved but in the comics Asgard has always been more fantasy based.

New Genesis however was all about crazy Kirby machines and technology. So yeah very Fourth World/New Gods feel for.

TheLurker
Rorshach Test Subject

Liked in: 246 posts
Title: Hefner

Postby TheLurker » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:01 pm

I saw this with a buddy, who is gay. When they showed Thor/Hemsworth with his shirt off a few teen girls could be heard giggling and quietly cheering. My buddy turned to my and said, "I approve too". :roll:

But if it was Sif or Jane Foster (know known as The Goat), I would have said the same thing. :groucho:

Cap2 looks better and better.

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 8 posts
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:12 pm

TheLurker wrote:I saw this with a buddy, who is gay. When they showed Thor/Hemsworth with his shirt off a few teen girls could be heard giggling and quietly cheering. My buddy turned to my and said, "I approve too". :roll:

But if it was Sif or Jane Foster (know known as The Goat), I would have said the same thing. :groucho:

Cap2 looks better and better.

Only difference is if it had been Sif or Jane, there would be thousands of websites denouncing the movie for its gratuitous sexualization of those characters.

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 8 posts
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:13 pm

Hermit_Sage wrote:
Yeah I've seen the CA2 trailers that have come out, and the one they showed at 3D showings was a different one with other scenes then the they have released.

I assume that eventually it'll get leaked on the internet.

It already was, but it's down where I saw it before. So it might still be out there elsewhere.

Hermit_Sage

Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 19 posts
Title: OH Elections Commissioner
Formerly: The Middle Sage, Phenomenal Sire

Postby Hermit_Sage » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:00 pm

jeremy wrote:

It already was, but it's down where I saw it before. So it might still be out there elsewhere.

I wish I was looking for it. I went again to see it today with the family, but we saw it in 2D so I wanted to show my wife the elevator fight scene

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 46 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:07 pm

Jack Burton wrote:So I just came back and I really liked it. I thought it was better than the first one.

One thing I came away with and that was this felt an awful lot like Kirby'sNew Gods to me.

This may be because I've just read through all the DC New Gods Omnibus recently but it really did. I think it was because I felt like they doubled down more on the Asgardians as aliens with a vast amount of technology in this film. All the tech and weapons had this very Kirby feel which I loved but in the comics Asgard has always been more fantasy based.

New Genesis however was all about crazy Kirby machines and technology. So yeah very Fourth World/New Gods feel for.

Funny because I thought it felt more like Walt Simonson Thor.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:01 pm

I thought it was easily the best non-Avengers movie of the whole MU. LOVED IT.

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 468 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:51 pm

bkthomson wrote:Funny because I thought it felt more like Walt Simonson Thor.

Wellll.... Yes and no. Simonson mixed fantasy with sci-fi, but Malekith was always 100% fantasy-based in the Simonson stuff. The sci-fi part came from Beta Ray Bill and the demon-horde chasing his fleet. In Simonson's version, Malekith comes to earth to seek out the Casket of Ancient winters, which he plans to open and release the Fimbulwinter onto the earth. He does this in service of Surtur, the fire giant, who is off in another part of the universe forging the Sword Twilight. Once finished, Surtur mounts an attack upon Midgard to attempt to force his way onto the Rainbow Bridge, with the intention of bathing Twilight in the Flame Eternal and, thus, bringing about Ragnarok.

Really the only thing similar about Simonson's stuff and this movie is the presence of Malekith. As I was watching it, I sat there thinking that the Asgardians were using too much science and not enough magic. Flying craft and laser weapons? No, Simonson never drew stuff like that. His version of the Asgardians would have met the enemy on winged horses or something.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 258 posts

Postby misac » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:47 pm

I loved it! Lots of laughs and they fit so well with the drama and action (for the love of God please take note Superman vs Batman people.).

Heimdall killing that ship with his daggers was so awesome! His helmet was the most magic in this movie, doing that balancing act. :P

The Cap cameo was one of my favorite parts, so unexpected.

Loki got me twice. First when he cuts Thor’s arm off, I totally fell for it. I was racking my brain trying to come up with ways of undoing it. :oops: And the Odin thing, I didn’t think he was dead but I didn’t see him replacing Odin.

I didn’t like the Sif/Thor/Jane triangle. It felt like it was just added for more drama. There was nothing there from the previous movie. :smt102

I really liked Malaketh as the bad guy. He was straight forward with his plan, he wasn’t screwing around.

The final battle was so cool with the hopping between the nine realms. I wish they had done a brief glimpse to Surtur or Hela, I’m sure one of them will be in the next movie.

The Collector scene was pretty cool (what a weirdo!). But until reading this thread I didn’t put it together that the Cosmic Cube and the Aether were power gems. :oops: :shock:

EDIT-Also really fun part where the hammer whizzes by and Darcy calls it “meomu” or whatever.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:49 pm

The first one felt really New Gods to me. I think that's why it works. :smt102

misac
Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:50 pm

Chessack wrote:The only guess I could hazard at this point is that they will mention "what happened in London" and perhaps show some of the wreckage? Or maybe they will take possession of the "Selvig Sticks".

Maybe they’ll have to deal with the frost giant dog! :shock:

I doubt it though. :P

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1017 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney

Postby outsider » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:03 pm

misac wrote:I didn’t like the Sif/Thor/Jane triangle. It felt like it was just added for more drama. There was nothing there from the previous movie. :smt102
I absolutely agree. The way the first movie established it was that Thor & Sif are friends/comrades, no more. Like any other parents, I'm sure Frigga & Odin would love for their son to settle down with the local girl they already know rather than some long-distance unknown, but that's all there should have been to that story. Sif giving Jane those jealous looks was odd.

As for the Simonson/New Gods comments that have been made, I feel both movies have done an amazing job of juggling the audience-acceptability/believability without going too far. If Malekith had been straight-up elf with no spaceships or Thor was riding a chariot pulled by Toothgnasher and Toothgrinder (which would make me totally geek the fuck out), audiences wouldn't buy into it as much (imo, ymmv). Unless/until the Marvel movieverse goes full magic instead of quasi-scientific-advanced-energy territory, it would have been a very hard sell to get the idea that Iron Man & Cap are in the same type of reality.

Who knows, maybe 'real' magic is coming with Defenders on Netflix. They did have Frigga cast illusions and Malekith yell "WITCH!" (which seems very intentional/purposeful...?), so unless it's some type of mental manipulation trick that she taught Loki, perhaps Marvel is going to open up its doors (which could segue into Ghost Rider).
-

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 46 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:30 pm

Chessack wrote:
Wellll.... Yes and no. Simonson mixed fantasy with sci-fi, but Malekith was always 100% fantasy-based in the Simonson stuff. The sci-fi part came from Beta Ray Bill and the demon-horde chasing his fleet. In Simonson's version, Malekith comes to earth to seek out the Casket of Ancient winters, which he plans to open and release the Fimbulwinter onto the earth. He does this in service of Surtur, the fire giant, who is off in another part of the universe forging the Sword Twilight. Once finished, Surtur mounts an attack upon Midgard to attempt to force his way onto the Rainbow Bridge, with the intention of bathing Twilight in the Flame Eternal and, thus, bringing about Ragnarok.

Really the only thing similar about Simonson's stuff and this movie is the presence of Malekith. As I was watching it, I sat there thinking that the Asgardians were using too much science and not enough magic. Flying craft and laser weapons? No, Simonson never drew stuff like that. His version of the Asgardians would have met the enemy on winged horses or something.

There are some good points there.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum