Advertisement

Thor: The Dark World (Spoliers)

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 697 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney

Re: Thor: The Dark World (Spoliers)

Postby outsider » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:31 pm

Simonson deserves props by the set design and costumers - minus the 80s color palette, the Thor movies have that Simonson aesthetic.
-

Advertisement

Liam Rodgers
cheese

Liked in: 100 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator
Formerly: The Beast

Postby Liam Rodgers » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:36 pm

misac wrote:I loved it! Lots of laughs and they fit so well with the drama and action (for the love of God please take note Superman vs Batman people.).

Based on the negative reactions to all the "laughs" from IM3 and TDW, I doubt WB is going to adopt their formula.

"It’s a dark, dark, dark, dark world. How dark is “Thor: The Dark World”? So dark that when the Hammerin’ Hunk stops by Earth, someone asks, “So, how’s . . . space?” “Space is . . . fine,” he says. It’s as if someone asked Batman how often he gets rubber wedgies.

Actually, I think that line did appear in “Batman & Robin,” and if that (or “The Mummy Returns,” or “The Fantastic Four” ) is your idea of a superhero movie, Thor’s combination of half-hearted action and dim jokes is exactly what you’re looking for. If “The Lord of the Rings” was ancient legends sifted through the sensibility of an Oxford professor of Anglo-Saxon studies, then “Thor: The Dark World” is grand Norse myth run through the minds of 9-year-olds. “Hey, what if Odin lowered his staff and laser bullets came out?” “Yeah! Blam! Blam!”

http://nypost.com/2013/11/05/lowbrow-action-clouds-thor-the-dark-world/

:lol:

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:40 pm

Marvel's Thor isn't supposed to be accurate "grand Norse myth" at all (fairly certain Thor didn't visit America in the original myths), no more than Disney's Pocahontas was supposed to be a literal retelling of historical events. :lol:
-

Liam Rodgers
cheese

Liked in: 100 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator
Formerly: The Beast

Postby Liam Rodgers » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:08 pm

outsider wrote:Marvel's Thor isn't supposed to be accurate "grand Norse myth" at all (fairly certain Thor didn't visit America in the original myths), no more than Disney's Pocahontas was supposed to be a literal retelling of historical events. :lol:

Who was complaining about accuracy? Your reading comprehension is flawed. What made me cringe was the comparisons to Batman and Robin, The Mummy Returns and Fantastic Four.

I doubt anyone at WB is reading through the negative reviews for IM3 and TDW and saying to themselves, "Oh ya, we need moar jokes!"
Last edited by Liam Rodgers on Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geekinlyesmith
Fish-Smackin' Knight

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Legen- Wait for it...

Postby geekinlyesmith » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:11 pm

The Beast wrote: "If “The Lord of the Rings” was ancient legends sifted through the sensibility of an Oxford professor of Anglo-Saxon studies, then “Thor: The Dark World” is grand Norse myth run through the minds of 9-year-olds. “Hey, what if Odin lowered his staff and laser bullets came out?” “Yeah! Blam! Blam!”

That made me want to throw things.

I loved this movie. The Cap cameo knocked me over. I remember when they started filming TDW, Evans mentioned in an interview how much he'd loved to have a cameo, but didn't think it was going to work. And it totally happened!
I hate Jane Foster. I hate Natalie Portman as Jane Foster. Which is weird, 'cause I've never had an issue with Portman before. Now? Can't stand her. I'm Team Sif. Jaimie Alexander was a killer in this.
I'm a huge Anthony Hopkins fan, but he just didn't seem into it this time around.
Frigga was a bad ass and I'll admit, I cried big man tears and called my mom as I left the theater.
Malekith was fun, but came off underwhelmed. I'd be interested to see the deleted scenes; much like the first Thor movie, I bet things are explained better and fleshed out more if they weren't cut for time. (I refer to the Thor/Loki scene they cut, which really drove home the relationship between the two, which came off a little distant without that moment of closeness.)
Darcy and Eric were so much fun, and Volstagg and Fandral have me wishing for a Warrior's Three mini-series or something. Such great actors and characters with so much potential... I would watch the hell out of an Alan Taylor directed Warrior's Three show.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 382 posts

Postby Draco x » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:17 pm

misac wrote:I loved it! Lots of laughs and they fit so well with the drama and action (for the love of God please take note Superman vs Batman people.).

Heimdall killing that ship with his daggers was so awesome! His helmet was the most magic in this movie, doing that balancing act. :P

The Cap cameo was one of my favorite parts, so unexpected.

Loki got me twice. First when he cuts Thor’s arm off, I totally fell for it. I was racking my brain trying to come up with ways of undoing it. :oops: And the Odin thing, I didn’t think he was dead but I didn’t see him replacing Odin.

I didn’t like the Sif/Thor/Jane triangle. It felt like it was just added for more drama. There was nothing there from the previous movie. :smt102

I really liked Malaketh as the bad guy. He was straight forward with his plan, he wasn’t screwing around.

The final battle was so cool with the hopping between the nine realms. I wish they had done a brief glimpse to Surtur or Hela, I’m sure one of them will be in the next movie.

The Collector scene was pretty cool (what a weirdo!). But until reading this thread I didn’t put it together that the Cosmic Cube and the Aether were power gems. :oops: :shock:

EDIT-Also really fun part where the hammer whizzes by and Darcy calls it “meomu” or whatever.

I think the third Thor film will deal with Loki impersonating Odin and plunging Asgard into war as everyone begins to realize that the Odin on the throne is an imposter. Thor and co will come back to release Odin from captivity and it will culminate in Odin sacrificing his life to stop Loki once and for all. Plus I am betting Enchantress and Executioner will also appear in the film and most likely the Midgard Serpent as well.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:33 pm

The Beast wrote:
Who was complaining about accuracy? Your reading comprehension is flawed.
Are we cross?
The Beast wrote:What made me cringe was the comparisons to Batman and Robin, The Mummy Returns and Fantastic Four.
The Avengers had just as many jokey-jokes, so it seems like that reviewer had an axe to grind.

The Beast wrote:I doubt anyone at WB is reading through the negative reviews for IM3 and TDW and saying to themselves, "Oh ya, we need moar jokes!"
Has TDW had many negative reviews? I've heard mostly good buzz.
-

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 156 posts

Postby misac » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:16 pm

outsider wrote:I absolutely agree. The way the first movie established it was that Thor & Sif are friends/comrades, no more. Like any other parents, I'm sure Frigga & Odin would love for their son to settle down with the local girl they already know rather than some long-distance unknown, but that's all there should have been to that story. Sif giving Jane those jealous looks was odd.

As for the Simonson/New Gods comments that have been made, I feel both movies have done an amazing job of juggling the audience-acceptability/believability without going too far. If Malekith had been straight-up elf with no spaceships or Thor was riding a chariot pulled by Toothgnasher and Toothgrinder (which would make me totally geek the fuck out), audiences wouldn't buy into it as much (imo, ymmv). Unless/until the Marvel movieverse goes full magic instead of quasi-scientific-advanced-energy territory, it would have been a very hard sell to get the idea that Iron Man & Cap are in the same type of reality.

Who knows, maybe 'real' magic is coming with Defenders on Netflix. They did have Frigga cast illusions and Malekith yell "WITCH!" (which seems very intentional/purposeful...?), so unless it's some type of mental manipulation trick that she taught Loki, perhaps Marvel is going to open up its doors (which could segue into Ghost Rider).

If Odin was trying to force the issue with Thor and Sif it’d have been much more understandable.

Iron Fist does lean to the magic side.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:24 pm

The Beast wrote:
Based on the negative reactions to all the "laughs" from IM3 and TDW, I doubt WB is going to adopt their formula.

"It’s a dark, dark, dark, dark world. How dark is “Thor: The Dark World”? So dark that when the Hammerin’ Hunk stops by Earth, someone asks, “So, how’s . . . space?” “Space is . . . fine,” he says. It’s as if someone asked Batman how often he gets rubber wedgies.

Actually, I think that line did appear in “Batman & Robin,” and if that (or “The Mummy Returns,” or “The Fantastic Four” ) is your idea of a superhero movie, Thor’s combination of half-hearted action and dim jokes is exactly what you’re looking for. If “The Lord of the Rings” was ancient legends sifted through the sensibility of an Oxford professor of Anglo-Saxon studies, then “Thor: The Dark World” is grand Norse myth run through the minds of 9-year-olds. “Hey, what if Odin lowered his staff and laser bullets came out?” “Yeah! Blam! Blam!”

Meh to that reviewer. I guess we’re looking for different things in movies. I look forward to the fun moments almost as much as the action. With the Marvel movies and Star Trek.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1070 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:39 pm

The Beast wrote:Based on the negative reactions to all the "laughs" from IM3 and TDW, I doubt WB is going to adopt their formula.

Evidently Kyle Smith couldn't be bothered to actually pay attention to the movie that he was supposedly reviewing. :smt102
ImageImageImage

Jack Burton
biny little tird

Liked in: 42 posts

Postby Jack Burton » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:41 pm

Grayson wrote:
Evidently Kyle Smith couldn't be bothered to actually pay attention to the movie that he was supposedly reviewing. :smt102

He writes for the New York Post.

To me that in and of itself makes his opinion invalid.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1070 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:42 pm

Jack Burton wrote:He writes for the New York Post.

To me that in and of itself makes his opinion invalid.

ImageImageImage

misac
Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:55 pm

With the Cosmic Cube being a soul gem could other artifacts from the Marvel U turn up as soul gems? Nega Bands? Cosmic Control Rod? Eye of Agamotto? Could be used to set up other movies after Guardians.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:20 pm

misac wrote:With the Cosmic Cube being a soul gem could other artifacts from the Marvel U turn up as soul gems? Nega Bands? Cosmic Control Rod? Eye of Agamotto? Could be used to set up other movies after Guardians.
If the Aether ends up being the Reality gem, then the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak could be the Power gem. :smt026
(This is fun!)
-

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 399 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:22 pm

outsider wrote:Simonson deserves props by the set design and costumers - minus the 80s color palette, the Thor movies have that Simonson aesthetic.

Speaking as a Simonson-Thor lover, as someone who considers the 45-issue unbroken run of Simonson-Thor issues as the pride and joy of my collection, I don't completely agree.

The first one did have a Simonson aesthetic.

The second one did NOT.

The second movie did not do enough with the dark elves and their mythology. Malekith, in Simonson's version, is NOT a mindless villain running around trying to take over the multi-verse. He has a plan, a purpose. (He's also not the main bad-guy but that's beside the point). The plans of Simonson's villains... how should I put this... make sense. This cannot really be said for the Malekith of the movie, because the character and his plan are so one-dimensional.

Parts of the second movie had a good Simonson feel to them. Loki, to be sure, had Simonson's version written all over him. He's complex, interesting, evil, cruel, yet interesting, funny, and reluctantly heroic at the most surprising times. That's Simonson's Loki, I will grant you.

But the other characters were flat and uninspired. Sif and the Warriors Three did not get anywhere near enough screen time. And Sif, in particular, has been a huge disappointment twice now. In Simonson's books, Sif is basically second only to Thor himself, and perhaps Balder (who has not been in either movie, disappointingly enough), in power and ability. She says, in the movie, that she can take on a horde of guards, but where is that scene? They should have showed her kicking the ass of an army all by herself, because Sif can do that. The movies do not provide any real sense that Sif is nearly the equal of Thor. The movies provide the viewer with no strong impression of how awesome she is.

And why the hell was Hogun the Grim almost written out of the movie? Did the actor refuse to reprise his role or something? We saw him in the very beginning and at the very end, but he had no real part to play. Simonson used Hogun extensively. (Of course, to get the most out of Hogun you also need Hildy, and they haven't bothered to show her either, except maybe as an extra in the Volstagg-family scene.)

Most importantly, however, what TTDW lacks is characterization. The Simonson Thors are not great because of the action and the uber-villains like Malekith and Surtur. They're great because they have great characters, and Simonson does an incredible job of developing those characters and making them come to live. TTDW did not do this with anyone but Darcy and Loki, and to some degree Thor himself. All the other characters -- Jane, Malekith, Sif, Volstagg, Hogun, Fandral, even Odin -- were just flat and uninspired. And you can't have flat characters and then try to claim that the movie has a "Simonson aesthetic."

No.... I'm a huge, HUGE Simonson Thor fan. If it had a real Simonson aesthetic I'd have seen it 3 times already. The first movie had a fair bit, but this one did not.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum