Advertisement

Thor: The Dark World (Spoliers)

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 476 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power

Re: Thor: The Dark World (Spoliers)

Postby outsider » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:27 pm

Chessack, I appreciate what you're saying (and agree, for the most part, even though we would have gotten a 4+ hour movie, lol), but you're talking about characterization/plot. By aesthetic, I was referencing the visual/design aspects, not the story or characters themselves.
(For instance, Simonson gave the characters costumes more metal & fabric, whereas the JMS/Copiel redux gave us a lot more Game of Thrones/RenFair-esque leather & fur.)
-

Advertisement

T-Roy Space Cowboy
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 342 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby T-Roy Space Cowboy » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:05 pm

Saw it again today, enjoyed it even more the second time!

The Beast
cheese

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator

Postby The Beast » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:32 pm

outsider wrote:Are we cross?
The Avengers had just as many jokey-jokes, so it seems like that reviewer had an axe to grind.

Has TDW had many negative reviews? I've heard mostly good buzz.

misac wrote:
Meh to that reviewer. I guess we’re looking for different things in movies. I look forward to the fun moments almost as much as the action. With the Marvel movies and Star Trek.

Grayson wrote:
Evidently Kyle Smith couldn't be bothered to actually pay attention to the movie that he was supposedly reviewing. :smt102

Jack Burton wrote:
He writes for the New York Post.

To me that in and of itself makes his opinion invalid.

LMAO, you guys are hilarious!

TDW is getting slightly worse reviews than MoS and it's making less money:

-54 on metacritic compared to MoS' 55.
-66% on RT but the average is 6.2/10 which is exactly the same as MoS. If you only look at top critics, TDW has 38% compared to MoS' 53% among top critics.

Now it is all about preference and that's fine and dandy that some of you prefer superhero movies that don't take themselves seriously, nothing wrong with that. The point I was making was there's no fucking way that WB is looking at TDW's performance and thinking that they need adopt that shit for Batman VS Superman.

For months on end many of you have assumed MoS was flawed for not being more "fun" and TDW demonstrated that more "fun" =/= better reception among the general public.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 789 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:48 pm

The Beast wrote:LMAO, you guys are hilarious!

-66% on RT but the average is 6.2/10 which is exactly the same as MoS. If you only look at top critics, TDW has 38% compared to MoS' 53% among top critics.

Now it is all about preference and that's fine and dandy that some of you prefer superhero movies that don't take themselves seriously, nothing wrong with that. The point I was making was there's no fucking way that WB is looking at TDW's performance and thinking that they need adopt that shit for Batman VS Superman.

For months on end many of you have assumed MoS was flawed for not being more "fun" and TDW demonstrated that more "fun" =/= better reception among the general public.

I was simply pointing out that Kyle Smith's review was either intentionally misleading or unfortunately misinformed. Whether the movie is better, worse, or equal to a completely different film that's not a part of the shared universe this film exists in, isn't really my concern.
ImageImageImage

Jack Burton
biny little tird

Liked in: 36 posts

Postby Jack Burton » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:58 pm

The Beast wrote:

Actually dude I just really hate the New York Post. It's a piece of shit newspaper and I tend not to give anyone who works for it any credit.

That's it. I don't really care if TDW does better or worse than MOS.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 39 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:00 pm

The Beast wrote:

I think your comparison is flawed in terms of money. Thor is not a big character, even now post-Avengers. Comparing him to fucking Superman is ridiculous.

You should instead compare it to Thor 1.

Opening weekend for TDW was 30% higher than Thor 1. Thor is never going to make Superman money. It's not even going to make Iron Man money right off the bat, although at this rate it's feasible that it could come close to Iron Man numbers worldwide. It's already at $327M and it just came out here this weekend.

Moreover, I think the Iron Man movies and Avengers both throw this notion that superhero movies need to be dark and super serious out the window.

The Beast
cheese

Postby The Beast » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:04 pm

Grayson wrote:
I was simply pointing out that Kyle Smith's review was either intentionally misleading or unfortunately misinformed.

Well, based on the consensus of top critics who overwhelmingly voted "rotten", I'd say your point lacks merit.

Whether the movie is better, worse, or equal to a completely different film that's not a part of the shared universe this film exists in, isn't really my concern.

Perhaps not but to others who were hoping WB/DC would liven things up in the future to follow Marvel's lead, it was their cornflakes I was pissing in. I probably shouldn't but it's nice to see after putting up with all the bellyaching over MoS. ;)

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 377 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:14 pm

Lets be real here there is no way that Iron Man should be doing better than a superman movie, but so far all three entries into that franchise have made more money that Man of Steel. :lol:

The most recognizable super hero of the planet is getting trounced by B-lister tony stark, but I guess it's okay because it was grim and gritty.

The Beast
cheese

Postby The Beast » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:16 pm

Chris wrote:
I think your comparison is flawed in terms of money. Thor is not a big character, even now post-Avengers. Comparing him to fucking Superman is ridiculous.

You should instead compare it to Thor 1.

Opening weekend for TDW was 30% higher than Thor 1. Thor is never going to make Superman money. It's not even going to make Iron Man money right off the bat, although at this rate it's feasible that it could come close to Iron Man numbers worldwide. It's already at $327M and it just came out here this weekend.

Moreover, I think the Iron Man movies and Avengers both throw this notion that superhero movies need to be dark and super serious out the window.

Do you guys understand that all I'm pointing out is that superhero movies don't need to be light hearted and silly?

I'm not advocating for "dark and super serious" but I'm not against it in principal. Are you guys saying a super hero movie can't take itself seriously?

Personally, I hope both studios keep their tones distinct. It's all flavours of ice cream to me and the more variety the better.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:17 pm

The tone should fit the property.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:18 pm

Rockman wrote:Lets be real here there is no way that Iron Man should be doing better than a superman movie, but so far all three entries into that franchise have made more money that Man of Steel. :lol:

The most recognizable super hero of the planet is getting trounced by B-lister tony stark, but I guess it's okay because it was grim and gritty.

Iron Man did not make more than MoS even adjusting for inflation.

The other two though, you're correct about.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:19 pm

Chris wrote:
Iron Man did not make more than MoS even adjusting for inflation.

The other two though, you're correct about.

it did domestically.

Globally you're correct.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:20 pm

Rockman wrote:
it did domestically.

Globally you're correct.

It's not like they don't count the international sales. They don't use monopoly money overseas, even if it does look like it. :P

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:24 pm

Having seen and immensely enjoyed both (TDW and MOS), Thor is my current fave.

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

The Beast
cheese

Postby The Beast » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:26 pm

Rockman wrote:Lets be real here there is no way that Iron Man should be doing better than a superman movie, but so far all three entries into that franchise have made more money that Man of Steel. :lol:

How is 585 > 662?

Let's be honest here and give credit where credit is due, RDJr is the real star and his movies deserve every penny.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum