Advertisement

Top Modern Characters

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Comic_Doctor
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Tag Team

Postby Comic_Doctor » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:39 pm

Now that it's over, here's my list:

1. Deadpool
2. Hellboy
3. Gambit
4. Harley Quinn
5. Cable
6. The Darkness
7. Domino
8. Crossbones
9. Batgirl (Cassandra Cain)
10. Green Lantern (Kyle Rayner)

Advertisement

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby rdrsfn82 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:22 pm

I will give a bigger post later tonight, but just wanted to chime in quickly.

Jaime in the top 10 is awesome. Love that character. Obviously.

I can't believe Yorrick got to #3. Fuck you guys for not having 355 higher, but that was awesome.

Hellboy as #1 over Time is the biggest fucking shock on the entire list.

I do not disagree with a single character in the top 10 other than Dream, and that's only because I haven't read the book.

I'll read the write ups later.

Oh and thanks for the warning about Starman, I will skip that one. :-D

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 131 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:25 pm

Comic_Doctor wrote:Now that it's over, here's my list:

1. Deadpool
2. Hellboy
3. Gambit
4. Harley Quinn
5. Cable
6. The Darkness
7. Domino
8. Crossbones
9. Batgirl (Cassandra Cain)
10. Green Lantern (Kyle Rayner)

Damnit if you had Cass higher and Gambit lower she could have beaten that Gambit!! ARGH!! :P

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:09 am

VinnyPic wrote:Jamie Reyes outscored Bart Allen?

WHAT A CROCK OF SHIT!

He did. And he did it because he's a much better character.

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:13 am

GLX wrote:I expect an rds rant.

No rant. The fact he made the top 10 is more than I expected and all I hoped for. Sure, in a perfect world he'd have been #1 like me, 11 others, and Bubba would have put him, but this is still a great spot for a guy who's relatively new (even by the standards of this list) and whose book got canceled for low sales. He's a great character and all 9 folks ahead of him are really really good as well, but have all had longer runs in their own book than he's had. Yes, even Spawn, who I honestly have no problem with.

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:26 am

As for the rest of the 10-7 group.

Spawn is the essence of the 90's in all ways both good and bad. He's the most successful comic of all time from outside of the Big Two. He's had everything one could hope for. He's well known to the mainstream. He's had some spectacularly great stories and some horrible ones. Lots of the people who voted on this list, whether they want to admit it or not, have followed this character at some point or another. In many ways he's the greatest achievement in indy comics, and also one of the worst. The amazing success of this book, which would sell to the #1 spot at times, inspired dozens of terrible imitators, made people think they could over expand (which led to many companies closing), fueled the speculator market, and also kicked ass and led the charge of movies and shows based on indy books. This is a really long way of saying, he fully belonged in the top 10 and that without him, our surprising #1 may not have ever reached the levels he's reached over the last few years.

And just ahead of him is a guy that very very nearly made my list. Jesse Custer is the star of the best book ever to feature Satan being shot in the face, Hell freezing over, God as a villain, a vampire asshole, and a guy with a dick carved in his bald head. It's also probably the only book with all those things. Great book, Jesse is a great character, but in the end I went with Cass who should have been much higher. Bubba, I will say you should only buy the first two trades to start with. As chap said, this is a very love or hate book. I loved it, but you may not despite similar tastes.

Then there's Kyle. Hal is not better than Kyle, but Kyle also isn't better than Hal. Stop it. They are both great characters. To me, Hal is the main GL. However, I never got the folks that hate Kyle or the ones that hate Hal. Both have had some great stories, both have had some awful stories, both are only as good as the writer. Just like John and Guy. Erase the Hate.

I am really pumped for Blackest Night.

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:28 am

Jack Burton wrote:Blue Beetle - I like him in everything I've seen but I've never read the book. I think of all the book I need to read this is at the top. If I can scrounge the cash I'm taking the leap.

Spawn - Not a fan anymore but I can agree he probably belongs in the top ten.

Jesse Custer - Hell I say Hell yeah. Jesse Custer is one the greatest comic characters ever and completely deserving on this list. Lot's of time a series side character over shadow the hero. Not in Preacher. Jesse is a force there. Can't believe Yorrick beat him though. People are freaking crazy I guess

Kyle Rayner - He's made of awesome. I loved Ron Marz's original run and I thought Morisson did well with him too. I'd like to see him interact with Earth(especially Wally and Hal)more.

Blue Beetle is my favorite book of the last few years and we tend to agree a lot. The supporting cast in the book is just amazing.

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:29 am

Twigglet wrote:Although, Blue Beetle and Kyle Rayner shouldn't be anywhere near here. Fuck that.

See, it makes Twigg mad so it's probably good. :P :-D

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:30 am

chap22 wrote:if Tim Drake loses i will eat my hat. period.

How did that hat taste? :P

Plus, you probably weren't even that mad about it. :lol:

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:32 am

As THE Impulse fan of The Outhouse, I state that for the past few years, Jaime Reyes has been more fun and more interesting than Bart Allen.
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:36 am

chap22 wrote:WARNING TO RDRSFN82!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

unless you want to be majorly spoiled on the events of Starman, DO NOT read the write-up of Jack Knight.

that said:

Jack's my boy. i got quoted. best book of the 90s, and one of IMO the 2 or 3 best series in superhero comic history. a masterpiece in every sense of the word.

Dream -- i too just can NOT get into Sandman.

Deadpool -- love me some Wade. i got quoted. Kelly's run is one of the most underrated gems in Marvel publishing history.

and our final 3 are Tim, Hellboy, and Yorick Brown. i'll admit i'm a bit surprised by Yorick, but i have no complaints about any of the 3 being included. solid.

And for that warning, you are thanked. As is Bubba for putting it in the article.

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:36 am

King Impulse wrote:As THE Impulse fan of The Outhouse, I state that for the past few years, Jaime Reyes has been more fun and more interesting than Bart Allen.

Totally agree. He's one of the most fun characters I've ever read.

Now back to my two day old reactions. :-D

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 131 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:37 am

rdrsfn82 wrote:How did that hat taste? :P

Plus, you probably weren't even that mad about it. :lol:

We're making chappy eat this hat:

john lewis hawk wrote:Viewer's choice.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:39 am

rdrsfn82 wrote:Then there's Kyle. Hal is not better than Kyle, but Kyle also isn't better than Hal. Stop it. They are both great characters. To me, Hal is the main GL. However, I never got the folks that hate Kyle or the ones that hate Hal. Both have had some great stories, both have had some awful stories, both are only as good as the writer. Just like John and Guy. Erase the Hate.

I am really pumped for Blackest Night.

I disagree quite strongly. I do hate Hal for stealing Kyle's book, but it's not a baseless hate. As a character he bores me, Geoff Johns tries to hard to justify his existence in my opinion and it comes off as Geoff just pushing a personal favourite which no fan likes to see. The only time I've considered liking Hal Jordan is New Frontier, which although a lot of people say is 'his story' I say it's J'onn's story more than anything, but Hal has a role to play (and Hal is only needed because for the story to work, Superman has to be taken off the board). Hal worked better as a supervillain in my opinion, Barry Allen was great as the shadow that pushed Wally to be better, but Hal's legacy was even more important to Kyle, it made him work harder to redeem the name Green Lantern when everyone (including Alan Scott) had given up on it.

Also, I can't relate to Hal on a personal level the way I relate to any of my favourite characters because he's just too old.
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:40 am

6-4 was shocking. I couldn't believe Yorrick didn't show up here.

Jack Knight is great and I fully believe that if we did this again after the whole series is out in Omnibus form, he'd be on my list. Hell after vol 3 he would probably make the second half of my list.

I have not read Sandman, but some day I need to give it a shot.

Deadpool is great, but I really really thought Yorrick would be in this spot and he'd be #3 or #2. Great character, tons of fun, great look. And the new and improved Zombie Deadpool is also great.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum