Tuesday, July 26, 2016 • Morning Edition • "Hope you survive the experience!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

A Train, how I loathe thee

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

MoneyMelon

Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:04 pm

Severed Djed wrote:It is pretty tough.

Especially since it will be a matter of screwing over the people without the money and clout to protect themselves.

One of the major concerns when they started bulding the new Yankee Stadium is that they were building it on public park land. I could certainly understand being pissed if I lived in that neighborhood.

Fortuantely, the Yankees agreed to turn the site of the old stadium into a brand new public park that's even better than the old one.

Jonathan

Expert Post Whore

Postby Jonathan » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:06 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:One of the major concerns when they started bulding the new Yankee Stadium is that they were building it on public park land. I could certainly understand being pissed if I lived in that neighborhood.

Fortuantely, the Yankees agreed to turn the site of the old stadium into a brand new public park that's even better than the old one.

I thought The House That Ruth Built was staying up...as a museum?

MoneyMelon

Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:06 pm

Keb wrote:Don't they get a settlement?

There's a farm just a few minutes away from my house (a farm in the middle of suburbia) right next to a highway, and the guy who owns it has held out for years. He probably got a nice wad of cash because he sold some of it and they (of course) put up houses. They're extending the road by putting an over-pass above the highway so it'll cut traffic on the parallel main roads. The dude still has hiss little farm too.

yeah, the city usually has to "buy" the property from the person. But imagine you've lived somewhere your whole life, its close to your job and your friends and family and all of a sudden the government tells you that you have to move because they want to build something and your life is in the way.

I'd be upset about that.

The only time I think it's justifiable is if it's for public safety reasons.

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:06 pm

Are they gonna bulldoze it?

MoneyMelon

Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:09 pm

The House wrote:I thought The House That Ruth Built was staying up...as a museum?

Part of it is staying up as sort of a monument, but teh vast majority of it is being torn down, except for certain parts that are going to be moved into the new stadium (monument park, the facade above the outfield, etc).

Most of the land is being turned into little league fields and stuff.

MoneyMelon

Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:10 pm

Keb wrote:Are they gonna bulldoze it?

Wrecking ball, I'd imagine. That's how they took down Ebbetts Field in the 50's.

Severed Djed

Bastard #1

Postby Severed Djed » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:11 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:yeah, the city usually has to "buy" the property from the person. But imagine you've lived somewhere your whole life, its close to your job and your friends and family and all of a sudden the government tells you that you have to move because they want to build something and your life is in the way.

I'd be upset about that.

You said it better than I could.

Plus, there's always the question of whether or not the settlement is really fair. Whatever fair would mean in this context.

lovelyivy

Helter Skelter

Postby lovelyivy » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:54 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:I don't mind most subway lines.

It's the A in particular that I hate

The A does currently suck balls. It is in fact worse than the G AND the L. Takes doing. I can't describe the depth of my loathing for those trains in years past.

I HATE rush hour on the 2/3 lately though- there is ALWAYS congestion, slowdowns and plain ol ghetto-ass people everywhere.

Why do teenagers think that EVERYONE wants to hear the music they play on their cell phones? How is that shit even remotely cool?

4/5 FTW

ETA: And it should go without saying that the bus is totally worthless. 9 times out of 10 you can indeed walk to your destination much faster.

KingPagla

WTF is this rank?

Postby KingPagla » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:19 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:I don't mind most subway lines.

It's the A in particular that I hate
But it's the quickest way to Harlem.
(Please, somebody get that reference...)

KingPagla

WTF is this rank?

Postby KingPagla » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:22 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:I just wish they'd get a line to La Guardia.
You can always take the A Train to 125th then take the M60 Bus. :-D

nietoperz

The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:32 pm

MechaKingPagla wrote:But it's the quickest way to Harlem.
(Please, somebody get that reference...)

Good old Duke. :D

KingPagla

WTF is this rank?

Postby KingPagla » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:55 pm

nietoperz wrote:Good old Duke. :D
I knew I could count on you.

MoneyMelon

Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:57 pm

MechaKingPagla wrote:You can always take the A Train to 125th then take the M60 Bus. :-D

See, this is why I don't travel

Daniel

Great Scott!!!

Postby Daniel » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:01 pm

MechaKingPagla wrote:I knew I could count on you.

*snicker snicker*

Old people. :P 8)

Zenguru

Staff Writer

Postby Zenguru » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:12 pm

nietoperz wrote:That sounds like something out of Tennessee Williams or Eugene O'Neill! :P
STELLAAAAAA!!!!

leave a comment with facebook