Advertisement

A Train, how I loathe thee

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Internet Celebrity

A Train, how I loathe thee

Postby MoneyMelon » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:57 am

Allow me to vent...

I like taking the 2/3 line to work every morning for a few reasons:
1. It's the closest option to my home
2. It stops at Wall Street and if I get out at the Chase Plaza exit, all I have to do is cross the street and I'm at work
3. It's relatively clean
4. It runs frequently
5. It's the quickest option for me

Unfortunately, a train on the 2/3 line stalled at the stop right after Wall Street, so the train I was on was stuck at Chambers Street. Sometimes these delays take 5 mintues, sometimes they take half an hour. I had no choice but to transfer to the dreaded A Train.......my least favorite subway line.

As I walked down the stairs to the A Train platform, I saw a downtown train already there. "I'm in luck!", I thought. But as I aproached the train, the conductor closed the doors......that ass hole couldn't have given me 5 seconds to get in the train? I promptly gave him the one-finger salute. Then I had to wait for another one to show up, which took about 15 minutes. I never have to wait more than 5 minutes for the 2/3.

When a train finally did show up, I stood by the door, allowing people plenty of room to leave the train (something I wish more people would do) and then as I was about to board the train, some ass hole decides he's going to stand directly in the door, blocking the entrance when there was more than enough room for him to move in. I asked him to move and when he refused to acknowledge my presense, I just pushed him. Predictably, he gave me a dirty look. :roll:

So I found myself on the A Train. I knew right away this was going to be a short, but disgusting trip. I put my hand on the bar to steady myself as the train moved and felt some sort of sticky, greasy film covering it. I don't even want to know what was. I looked around and took in my surrondings.....baby strollers blocking the way, tacky faux-wood paneling on parts of the car, muddy tracks all over the floor, a layer of filth on the walls, a metal grate on the ceiling that was paritally bent and hanging down (when you're tall, that's a serious hazard), and a stench that was somewhere between maple syrup and body odor.

Thankfully I knew this would be a short trip. I only had to make it to Fulton Street and from there I could walk the extra few blocks to my office. But in order to do that, I had to climb staircase after staircase (how deep undergound is that train? :shock: ) until I finally found myself outside.......in the 25 fucking degree cold :evil:

I arrived at work late (nobody cared) and spent a good five minutes scrubbing my hands.

Needless to say, this day has not started out very well

Man of Steel wrote:get over myself? You're the one who fancies himself some sort of internet celebrity.

Advertisement

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 213 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:38 am

chill

Everyone hates taking a subway train that sucks.

I, personally, dislike GO trains and buses.
SHABBA!

kingbobb
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 0 post

Postby kingbobb » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:38 am

It's 0 here. Zeeero. yesterday it was 3. I had to scrape the snow and ice off two cars...one the company van that's way too high for the simple, non-extendable ice scraper for me to really clean the whole window. So I had to wait for the defroster to melt the 2+" of ice some. Then I discovered that the prior person...we think it's the new guy, who clearly hasn't been told the procedure for checking out and returning the van yet...left only 1/4 tank in the van. I know I'm already going to be late for my meeting, and I have to fill up. And being cold...it's like 3 degrees, remember?...the gasoline pump is of course slow as molasses.

14 gallons and 10 minutes later, I'm finally on the road. I somehow avoid spinning out on the icy Indiana roads...seemingly, I'm the only non-semi vehicle that didn't end up in the ditch yesterday morning...and I make it to my meeting, only half an hour late.

At least I wore my parka yesterday, and was warm throughout. Today I've just got the wool jacket. Even with a sweater on, it's only good to about 10 degrees. I'm not going back outside until I have to go home.

But on Sunday, it's supposed to be 40, 50 on Monday. that's going to seem hot after this.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 143 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:39 am

I love the tram! :D

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:45 am

Keb wrote:chill

Everyone hates taking a subway train that sucks.

I, personally, dislike GO trains and buses.

I don't mind most subway lines.

It's the A in particular that I hate

Man of Steel wrote:get over myself? You're the one who fancies himself some sort of internet celebrity.

Jonathan
Expert Post Whore

Title: The American
Formerly: Adroitly Chaotic, House of Me

Postby Jonathan » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:45 am

So, Melon, what you're saying is....

Avoid the A Train at all costs?

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:49 am

The House wrote:So, Melon, what you're saying is....

Avoid the A Train at all costs?
SHABBA!

Jonathan
Expert Post Whore

Postby Jonathan » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:45 am

Keb wrote:Image

You know, that's what I was thinking when I first read "A Train".

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:45 am

Same.

They do say "Great minds think alike." I wonder if that applies to warped minds as well? :P
SHABBA!

Jonathan
Expert Post Whore

Postby Jonathan » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:47 am

Keb wrote:Same.

They do say "Great minds think alike." I wonder if that applies to warped minds as well? :P

Great minds, warped minds, potato, potAHto....

Severed Djed
Bastard #1

Postby Severed Djed » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:48 am

DC Metro has its own share of problems.

It's still better than Beltway traffic in most cases, though.

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:49 am

Severed Djed wrote:DC Metro has its own share of problems.

It's still better than Beltway traffic in most cases, though.

A car isn't even an option in Manhattan.........unless you take a cab, but that'll still take forever and cost 10x as much.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:51 am

Public transit, no matter where you're at, will always be ass. Be thankful for it.
SHABBA!

Severed Djed
Bastard #1

Postby Severed Djed » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:53 am

Keb wrote:Public transit, no matter where you're at, will always be ass. Be thankful for it.

I am, believe me.

Of course, most public transit isn't subject to the whims of Congress the way DC metro is....

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:54 am

Wha?
SHABBA!

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum