Advertisement

Vicki's Next PC

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

kingbobb
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 0 post

Vicki's Next PC

Postby kingbobb » Fri May 16, 2008 1:33 pm

We really want it to be a higher-end machine. Not quite a gaming PC, but better than the stock you can get at the Big Box shops.

So we just placed an order at this place called Cyberpower...of course, only after do we check the reviews on this place, and while the price is lower, so is the quality of service and goods.

Now we're thinking we should cancel our order, and go through newegg.com and build the machine ourselves. Anyone got any other sources of PC components for self-builds?

Or have pro/con experiences with Cyberpower, or a good recommendation for a self-built PC?

Advertisement

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 440 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Fri May 16, 2008 3:16 pm

No idea. Are these places online places?
SHABBA!

toolverine
King of Circle-Jerking

Postby toolverine » Fri May 16, 2008 3:30 pm

My roommate uses a Cyberpower gaming laptop. He has no complaints so far. Other than that, it really depends on what you need out of your build as far as what recommendations I would make.

The Juan Percenter
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Re: Vicki's Next PC

Postby The Juan Percenter » Fri May 16, 2008 4:49 pm

kingbobb wrote:We really want it to be a higher-end machine. Not quite a gaming PC, but better than the stock you can get at the Big Box shops.

So we just placed an order at this place called Cyberpower...of course, only after do we check the reviews on this place, and while the price is lower, so is the quality of service and goods.

Now we're thinking we should cancel our order, and go through newegg.com and build the machine ourselves. Anyone got any other sources of PC components for self-builds?

Or have pro/con experiences with Cyberpower, or a good recommendation for a self-built PC?

I use both Newegg and ZipZoomfly.com for computer upgrades. Zip sometimes has better prices than Newegg and free shipping.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri May 16, 2008 5:30 pm

The Apple Store.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 362 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Fri May 16, 2008 10:04 pm

Vicki.... Vicki.... didn't we have a poster by that name once? ;)

Kong created the Outhouse to train the Faithful. One cannot go against the Word of Kong.---
The Teachings of Pawl Monk'Dib

Monkey, I like your style!
--Lex Luthor

Zenguru wrote:I trust Lord Simian's word more than my friend.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 350 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Fri May 16, 2008 11:22 pm

instead of buying any brand pc i get mine custom-built from scratch from the motherboard and case right down to every component with its respective brands.

monitors do my head in though :(

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember

Postby DeadFett » Sat May 17, 2008 2:18 am

Lord Simian wrote:Vicki.... Vicki.... didn't we have a poster by that name once? ;)

It sounds vaguely familiar...

kingbobb
Great Scott!!!

Postby kingbobb » Tue May 20, 2008 9:12 am

I hear from her from time to time. We keep in touch.

We ended up cancelling our Cyberpower order...too jittery over the negative comments. We put in an order for Newegg parts, coming out to about the same cost, but with better parts (no generic "name brand parts), although we do have to build it ourselves now. Although Vicki's looking forward to doing that.

But her credit card company didn't approve the charge right away, which caused Newegg to not complete the order last week, and their processing office is closed over the weekend. While it's cool that the credit card company called us within minutes of placing the order to verify the charge, it's not cool that we've having to wait for things to go through.

kingbobb
Great Scott!!!

Postby kingbobb » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:40 pm

We eventually got that stuff worked out with Newegg, got the parts, and Vicki set out to build the thing.

While removing the expansion slot doors, Vicki broke a capacitor off the motherboard. Newegg replaced it, although that set her back a week's time.

Once all the basic stuff was installed, she gave it the old turn on...and nothing happened. We fretted for a while before realizing that we were in truth, dummies. All we'd done was turn on the power supply...things became a lot more lively once we actually hit the power switch on the case.

For a short time, anyway, as within 30-60 seconds of powering on, the motherboard would give a "total power shutdown" code, and power off.

Disconnecting everything, and then reconnecting it all, seemed to fix that, so now Vicki's newest creation (behind Xavier and Neva) is her own brand new computer. I'll ask her to get some pics, 'cause she chose one of those cases with windows and glowey lights inside.

Woody
Motherfucker from Hell

Title: Woodrow if you're nasty

Postby Woody » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:09 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:The Apple Store.
seconded

toolverine
King of Circle-Jerking

Postby toolverine » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:10 pm

Piss off with your sissy pre-made boxes. I just made a computer for the girl I seeing and I'm going to help my cousin put together a PC as well.

Woody
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Woody » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:18 pm

toolverine wrote:Piss off with your sissy pre-made boxes. I just made a computer for the girl I seeing and I'm going to help my cousin put together a PC as well.
yes, the sign of ultimate manliness– building a PC

toolverine
King of Circle-Jerking

Postby toolverine » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:20 pm

Well, certainly the sign of not overpaying for under performance.

Woody
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Woody » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:24 pm

toolverine wrote:Well, certainly the sign of not overpaying for under performance.
ah yes

thrifty=manly

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum