Advertisement

Videogames...

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 93 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:30 pm

Frag It wrote:IMO, the PSP was too advanced for a handheld gaming system.

I don't think people really wanted to play Final Fantasy on a handheld. They want simpler games that are easy to play on trips.

Based on my road experience, I like a little bit of both.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Advertisement

Baskerville Holmes
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Baskerville Holmes » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:30 pm

C20Percent wrote:Does that have more to do with price point rather than quality games?

The Castlevania titles alone are worth a DS purchase.
[img]http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/7824/340x.gif[/img]

C20Percent
rubber spoon

Postby C20Percent » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:32 pm

Jack Burton wrote:The n64 is one of my favorite consoles ever. Fuck the Playstation. Playstation had few games I liked. Those were MSG, RE2 and Syphon Filter. That was it. I don't like Final Fantasy games so 7, 8 and 9 aren't for me.

N64 had Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Any THQ/Aki WCW/WWF game, Donkey Kong, Star Fox, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Rogue Squadron, Smash Brothers, Zelda Orcarina of Time and Majora's Mask. Great games.

Isn't it true that you just named every good game on the 64?

Jack Burton
biny little tird

Liked in: 38 posts

Postby Jack Burton » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:32 pm

TheScantronman wrote:The Castlevania titles alone are worth a DS purchase.

New Super Mario Brothers is an amazing game too. I had such a blast with that one.

C20Percent
rubber spoon

Postby C20Percent » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:33 pm

TheScantronman wrote:But I have all the systems, so I get to play whatever.

So, what future Wii games are you anticipating? What is the future of Wii?

Eric

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby Eric » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:34 pm

C20Percent wrote:I'm not gonna hate on SNES -- I didn't play it much, and I tend to give that console it's credit. I was on the Sega Genesis wagon early, and at my age never felt the need to go anywhere else. But, I don't think the Nintendo free fall started until the 64 -- that's where they lost me totally. They almost reeled me back in with the Gamecube, but couldn't quite get there. This is just personal opinion on my part, but at my age -- give me a 360 or a PS3. I'd be happy never touching a Wii.

I have to agree somewhat. Ps3 and Xbox have made it their business to cater to the grown up men who don't want to play games geared more towards kids. After the poor showing by Nintendo's Gamecube, I feel they have forgotten where most of their business came from, the people who grew up playing their games. The Mario games have been terrible since Mario 64 and yes I do not like it at all. It was a glorified collection game as was Sunshine, as is Galaxy.
I would love to play a more mature Mario and Zelda game and not have the same villain in almost, I said almost, every incarnation. Why not use Wart from Mario Bros. 2? Or Vaati? Why is it just an upgraded game that lost it's greatness when it went from 2d to 3d? Also not being able to use the enery sword in Zelda sucks.

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:35 pm

C20Percent wrote:Isn't it true that you just named every good game on the 64?

Pretty much.

C20Percent
rubber spoon

Postby C20Percent » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:35 pm

TheScantronman wrote:The Castlevania titles alone are worth a DS purchase.

I'd rather have a next-gen 2D Castlevania, or even a good 3D one. One of the things I love about the next-gen shit is that I can play games on a 50" HDTV. Seriously, when do you find time to play a DS?

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:36 pm

Jack Burton wrote:New Super Mario Brothers is an amazing game too. I had such a blast with that one.

I wish they'd make something more along those lines on the Wii. Instead we get Mario 64 part 3. :roll:

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Liked in: 27 posts
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Postby Frag » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:36 pm

TheScantronman wrote:Is a "hardcore gamer" someone who only plays shooters/sports games/mature-rated titles or someone who plays those and a wide variety of other genres? I'm leaning toward the second.

It's a bit of both. But it's also someone who knows a little something about videogames and doesn't just follow fads. Nintendo is counting on casual gamers to succeed. For example, they barely have violence in games. It's for a PG audience.

And I'm not generalizing on the SNES/Genesis comparisons as those are well documented in reviews (SNES games having better graphics and sound is just a fact, the SNES was factually more powerful than the Genesis).

More powerful does not always equal better.

And maybe you should, I dunno, play the DS games that DON"T require stylus only play, which is the vast ajority of titles.

There's more to the DS that I hate. The stylus is the main reason.

Nintendo may have shifted their core strategy, and I've been as critical on that as anyone, but you can't argue their success.

I never did argue. More power to them. I posted that earlier. I'm glad they're succeeding because they were on death's door a few years ago.

I'm also happy because they bring in more gamers into the fold and keep it going.

It's like if all comics became like Marvel Adventures or Johnny DC. It's not for me, but good for them if it works.

But I have all the systems, so I get to play whatever.

I did too, till I returned my 360.

(I don't count handhelds as systems, but if so, I don't have a DS either).
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.

Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117

Baskerville Holmes
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Baskerville Holmes » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:36 pm

C20Percent wrote:So, what future Wii games are you anticipating? What is the future of Wii?

Right now I'm looking forward to The Conduit (FPS....FPS control on the Wii is second only to PC keyboard and mouse), Punch-Out!!, and Sin and Punishment 2. And I assume that Miyamoto and co. are conjuring up more Zelda and Mario titles which are probably going to be Game of the Year contenders when they come out. I'm perfectly content to buy Nintendo consoles solely for their first party titles, because as has been said, there just aren't very many games out there that are as good as a AAA first party Nintendo title.

Baskerville Holmes
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Baskerville Holmes » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:38 pm

C20Percent wrote:I'd rather have a next-gen 2D Castlevania, or even a good 3D one. One of the things I love about the next-gen shit is that I can play games on a 50" HDTV. Seriously, when do you find time to play a DS?

When I'm on vacation or if I have down-time at work or just whenever. That's the beauty of it. You can pick it up and play a little bit a time whenever.

Frag

Postby Frag » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:38 pm

C20Percent wrote:So, what future Wii games are you anticipating? What is the future of Wii?

The Wii doesn't need a future. It can coast now. It's become a phenomenon.

It's still not that easy to find, but people still want it. This generation's "console wars" have a winner.

Baskerville Holmes
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Baskerville Holmes » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:39 pm

Frag It wrote:More powerful does not always equal better. .

Never said it did, but the poor performance of the games compared to the SNES counterparts made the Genesis games suffer.

Seriously, MKII on the Genesis is a piece of shit. It's laughably bad.

Frag

Postby Frag » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:42 pm

TheScantronman wrote:Right now I'm looking forward to The Conduit (FPS....FPS control on the Wii is second only to PC keyboard and mouse), Punch-Out!!, and Sin and Punishment 2. And I assume that Miyamoto and co. are conjuring up more Zelda and Mario titles which are probably going to be Game of the Year contenders when they come out. I'm perfectly content to buy Nintendo consoles solely for their first party titles, because as has been said, there just aren't very many games out there that are as good as a AAA first party Nintendo title.

Who knows?

There were 2 Zeldas and 1 Mario (2 if you count Paper Mario) for Gamecube.

And only 1 Mariokart :(.

There may be nothing else coming.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum