Sunday, October 21, 2018 • Morning Edition • "All nerds welcome. Bring your own toilet paper."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Videogames...

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

C20Percent

rubber spoon

Postby C20Percent » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:44 pm

TheScantronman wrote:Right now I'm looking forward to The Conduit (FPS....FPS control on the Wii is second only to PC keyboard and mouse), Punch-Out!!, and Sin and Punishment 2.


Would you buy a Wii for any of these games if you didn't have one? Other than Mario, Zelda, and Metroid, which Nintendo falls back on time-and-time again -- I just don't know what game is moving the console. I don't know what's the incentive to purchase a Wii.
User avatar

JL_Amato

rubber spoon

Postby JL_Amato » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:45 pm

Frag It wrote:Who knows?

There were 2 Zeldas and 1 Mario (2 if you count Paper Mario) for Gamecube.

And only 1 Mariokart :(.

There may be nothing else coming.

I think the Wii's life cycle is going to be much longer than the Gamecube's.

We'll probably see one more of each before it's over.
User avatar

Baskerville Holmes

Hopscotch

Postby Baskerville Holmes » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:45 pm

Frag It wrote:Who knows?

There were 2 Zeldas and 1 Mario (2 if you count Paper Mario) for Gamecube.

And only 1 Mariokart :(.

There may be nothing else coming.


If rumors are to be believed, Nintendo is already laying the groundwork for a next gen, more powerful, HD system using the Wii's controls/interface as a springboard.

In my mind, it's part of the reason the console is under-powered compared to it's competitors. They wanted to spend the money on developing a new way to control the games, and then they could lure in a bunch of new potential customers. Once their hooked, they can spring for a bigger, badder "Wii2" or whatever down the road.

It is odd, though, that it was more or less Nintendo that started the whole "come out with the most powerful system on the block" with the N64 and they haven't been the same since. Sorta like what is happening now with Sony and the PS3.
User avatar

Frag

REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Postby Frag » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:45 pm

C20Percent wrote:Would you buy a Wii for any of these games if you didn't have one? Other than Mario, Zelda, and Metroid, which Nintendo falls back on time-and-time again -- I just don't know what game is moving the console. I don't know what's the incentive to purchase a Wii.


If it's not your thing, it's not your thing.

It's a system that it focused on casual gamers, especially kids, tweens and families.

It's not really for the 20-30 somethings, though that is the group that will sustain it once the fad slows down.
User avatar

Baskerville Holmes

Hopscotch

Postby Baskerville Holmes » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:46 pm

C20Percent wrote:Would you buy a Wii for any of these games if you didn't have one? Other than Mario, Zelda, and Metroid, which Nintendo falls back on time-and-time again -- I just don't know what game is moving the console. I don't know what's the incentive to purchase a Wii.


I would most certainly buy a Nintendo console if only for Mario, Zelda, and Metroid. Those titles are always just that good.
User avatar

Frag

REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Postby Frag » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:47 pm

TheScantronman wrote:If rumors are to be believed, Nintendo is already laying the groundwork for a next gen, more powerful, HD system using the Wii's controls/interface as a springboard.

In my mind, it's part of the reason the console is under-powered compared to it's competitors. They wanted to spend the money on developing a new way to control the games, and then they could lure in a bunch of new potential customers. Once their hooked, they can spring for a bigger, badder "Wii2" or whatever down the road.

It is odd, though, that it was more or less Nintendo that started the whole "come out with the most powerful system on the block" with the N64 and they haven't been the same since. Sorta like what is happening now with Sony and the PS3.


It's a shame because I like the power of the PS3 and powerful systems in general. I do enjoy good graphics. I see the next gen as a dumbed down version now because of the success of the Wii.
User avatar

Jack Burton

Fagorstorm

Postby Jack Burton » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:49 pm

Frag It wrote:It's a shame because I like the power of the PS3 and powerful systems in general. I do enjoy good graphics. I see the next gen as a dumbed down version now because of the success of the Wii.


The price is going to be a major factor next gen. They screwed up with the exaggerated prices this time.
User avatar

C20Percent

rubber spoon

Postby C20Percent » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:49 pm

Frag It wrote:The Wii doesn't need a future. It can coast now. It's become a phenomenon.

It's still not that easy to find, but people still want it. This generation's "console wars" have a winner.


People want it so they can say they have it -- I work with someone who "found" one, and went around the office for about two weeks telling everybody she had one before she put it up for sale. It's a fad. Nintendo isn't setting themselves up for the future. Whenever I listen to Reggie Fils-Aime at E3 -- I just can't believe he's serious about the shit he's spewing.
User avatar

Baskerville Holmes

Hopscotch

Postby Baskerville Holmes » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:50 pm

Frag It wrote:It's a shame because I like the power of the PS3 and powerful systems in general. I do enjoy good graphics. I see the next gen as a dumbed down version now because of the success of the Wii.


I think Sony shot themselves in the foot by making the PS3 more difficult to work with due to its complex architecture. Valve hates working with the PS3, which is why Left 4 Dead isn't coming out for it. EA handled the port of the Orange Box on the PS3 and it had numerous technical issues.

The rumors surrounding a potential PS4 is that Sony is planning only a small incremental gain in power next go around, and focusing on streamlining development for third parties.
User avatar

C20Percent

rubber spoon

Postby C20Percent » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:51 pm

Frag It wrote:It's a shame because I like the power of the PS3 and powerful systems in general. I do enjoy good graphics. I see the next gen as a dumbed down version now because of the success of the Wii.


Interesting...
User avatar

Baskerville Holmes

Hopscotch

Postby Baskerville Holmes » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:53 pm

C20Percent wrote:People want it so they can say they have it -- I work with someone who "found" one, and went around the office for about two weeks telling everybody she had one before she put it up for sale. It's a fad. Nintendo isn't setting themselves up for the future. Whenever I listen to Reggie Fils-Aime at E3 -- I just can't believe he's serious about the shit he's spewing.


Nintendo will always be the forefront of the gaming industry. Always. They are responsible for so much of what exists today.

I maintain that if the N64 were CD-based rather than relying on cartridges, the entire modern gaming landscape would be different today. The Playstation would have still probably been met with success, but it would have taken second place.
User avatar

misac

Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:53 pm

The translation of Dragon Quest IV is so fucked up.
User avatar

C20Percent

rubber spoon

Postby C20Percent » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:54 pm

Good debate, guys. I enjoyed that. 8)
User avatar

Jack Burton

Fagorstorm

Postby Jack Burton » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:56 pm

TheScantronman wrote:Nintendo will always be the forefront of the gaming industry. Always. They are responsible for so much of what exists today.

I maintain that if the N64 were CD-based rather than relying on cartridges, the entire modern gaming landscape would be different today. The Playstation would have still probably been met with success, but it would have taken second place.


I think you're right but if Nintendo stuck with the CD would PS even exist? Regardless Nintendo would still probably be #1 though I wonder if there would be as many Mature rated games.

I always thought PS pushed a lot of the content in games forward.
User avatar

C20Percent

rubber spoon

Postby C20Percent » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:00 pm

Jack Burton wrote:I think you're right but if Nintendo stuck with the CD would PS even exist? Regardless Nintendo would still probably be #1 though I wonder if there would be as many Mature rated games.

I always thought PS pushed a lot of the content in games forward.


But, even after they realized the CD was the way to go they went with that retarded disc for Gamecube.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], GiveWarAChance, Google [Bot], Keb, sdsichero and 34 guests