Advertisement

Videogames...

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 37 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Re: Videogames...

Postby Chris » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:00 pm

Killzone: Shadow Fall is mind-blowingly beautiful.

Honestly the best looking graphics and visuals I've ever seen in a game, and that includes PC.

Advertisement

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 34 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:21 pm

Great to hear about the PS4. I heard good things about the controller as well so nice to get a.confirmation. how is the touchscreen?
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:30 pm

bkthomson wrote:Great to hear about the PS4. I heard good things about the controller as well so nice to get a.confirmation. how is the touchscreen?

It's a touchpad. No screen.

It's great.

In Assassin's Creed, for example, pressing down on the touchpad (it's also a giant button) brings up the map. You can then drag your finger around on the pad to move around the map.

There's also a mic in the controller, and in Resogun (a PSN arcade sort of space invaders-esque shooter) the game gives you directions through the controller each round. Like when you get power ups and stuff.

Lots of cool little things like that I am discovering.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:32 pm

Just popped FIFA 14 in for a round.

Did not like the PS3 version, but the PS4 version is great! Holy crap, the stadiums and the field look incredible and the ball handles a little better than the current-gen version.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 74 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:48 am

Chris wrote:Initial thought on PS4:

HOLY SHIT the controller feels amazing. More ergonomic. The R2 and L2 triggers actually feel like triggers if you're into shooters.

When I saw video of that controller I thought "that thing looks like a toy" but when I actually held the thing, it felt MUCH better than the previous dual shocks. I like the triggers but it was just the larger size and feeling of durability that really impressed me.

Granted, this was just from the demo unit at Target but it totally changed my opinion on the controller.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:51 am

The only thing I don't like about the controller is that there's no START button. Instead, there's an OPTIONS button to the right of the touchpad.

Which is fine, because in most games it kind of serves that SELECT button role.

But then other games use it as the start button.

So it'll say something like...

"Press OPTIONS to begin the game!"

Which really throws me off.

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 465 posts
Title: All the good ones were taken
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:39 pm

Happy birthday Shigeru Miyamoto!
ImageImageImageImageImage

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:54 pm

Steve Uy has a new game coming out.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

sdsichero

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 293 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:12 pm

Just got back from the Nintendo World early release of the new Zelda (A Link Between Worlds).

It's mine! :smt026

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 189 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:16 am

after playing far cry 3 and loving it (inspired by how awesome blood dragon was) i went back to far cry 2.

possibly the worst game with great graphics and great shooting mechanisms i've ever seen. the tediousness of driving, no checkpoints making f5 key, and enemies who use ak's like sniper rifles made me quit on my first day. it's just impossible to get the ball rolling as in the first missions you have to go through 50 blockades that respawn immediately to the extreme corners of the map back and forth all game. and there's no quick travel mechanisms like with far cry 3.

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:44 am

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:41 pm

Doom Creator John Carmack Officially Leaves id Software

John Carmack, the programmer responsible for Doom, Quake, and more, has left id Software completely.

“John Carmack, who has become interested in focusing on things other than game development at id, has resigned from the studio," id's studio director Tim Willits told IGN. "John’s work on id Tech 5 and the technology for the current development work at id is complete, and his departure will not affect any current projects. We are fortunate to have a brilliant group of programmers at id who worked with John and will carry on id’s tradition of making great games with cutting-edge technology. As colleagues of John for many years, we wish him well.”

Carmack, a co-founder of id, recently joined Oculus as CTO, but remained at id Software in some capacity. "Happy to say [John Carmack] is not leaving id & will continue to provide leadership for our games in development," id publisher Bethesda stated at the time.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 74 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:00 am

XBox One Initial Impressions

Everything works, which is nice. It's a very pretty console. The Day One packaging is slick (I'm not a fan of the ugly green Standard packaging but once you get it out of the box, it's not really an ongoing concern). The evil camera/ microphone is... evil but also impressive. Voice commands are working pretty well. It's mistaken some of my words a few times and not picked up my voice once or twice but nothing like I saw in that IGN video. That thing concerned me but so far it's been pretty responsive.

Skype calling makes me feel like I'm in the future. Now all I want is my flying car. I've video chatted on the computer before but nothing to this level. This was a much clearer picture and sound. Granted, it's been a couple years since I last video chatted so I'm sure people have had better experiences than this. It was still nice connecting to a friend that I don't see often enough. The camera likes to zoom around and there were times that my buddy got an extreme closeup of my face.

The Blu-Ray player is functional and doesn't scream at me or any other horror stories I've heard. This is my first Blu-Ray player because I live in the stone age so... it's a necessary upgrade.

Well, necessary only so far as it lets me watch movies that I own that aren't on Netflix.

Speaking of Netflix, logging into that service was a lot more simple than I was expecting. I'm assuming that they just transfer my information from the 360 because there was no need to go over to my computer and enter in a code to allow access to the device. The 360 just got an upgrade to this service that makes things a lot faster while also giving you images of everything you select so looking at the XB1's version seems like a downgrade. It's not as user-friendly and selecting individual episode isn't as intuitive. I probably need to spend a little more time on this so I can figure out the layout but it's weird that it doesn't look as good as it does on the 360.

So far, I've just dl'd the free version of Killer Instinct. It looks pretty enough. The problem is, much like Windows 8, you don't actually close out of anything. If you go to the home screen, your last application shows in the biggest box on the screen with slightly muted sound. To get rid of it(or at least send it further into the background where you won't see or hear it), you've got to select another app. I guess that's not a deal breaker but I still wish there was an option to just end an application. Maybe there is and I haven't found it yet.

Otherwise, I'm just waiting for the right game to play. Not sure how to tell when your controller battery is dead or, if you're using multiple controllers, I'm not sure how to tell who's "player one" or even if such terminology even applies anymore. Maybe it'll just use your name to tell you where you are or what split screen you're on? Things I haven't figured out yet.

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 34 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:10 am

So far my X-Box One is in good shape. I ended up running a internet hardwire to make sure I got the update uninterrupted on the download.

Only game that has been played is Skylander Swap-Force, by my son. I have done nothing with the unit besides that. Though Swap-Force is pretty fun.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum