Friday, May 27, 2016 • Midnight Edition • "Now part of a nutrituous breakfast!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!


I'm watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Strict31

Rain Partier

Postby Strict31 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:04 pm

Rockman wrote:oh and Spike doesn't seem very threatening to me. He's supposedly the most feared vampire ever behind Angelus and the Master and he's easily beaten by Buffy then runs away everytime they interact so far. (The Halloween episode had the best/worst example of this).

The master was a better villain truthfully, even the annointed one was okay (even though he went out like a punk). Spike is sorely lacking any kind of success to be considered anything but campy fun at this point.


Buffy, as a slayer of vampires, provided a significant reversal of fortune for Spike. His rivalry with Angelus also didn't always prove profitable. This is probably why both of them became objects of such obsession for Spike early on.

I mean, Buffy kinda specialized in making ancient or powerful vampires look like morons. Look at Darla, for example.

And this is pretty much the single worst town in which to be a bad-ass creature of the night. If you're not getting your ass kicked by Buffy or Faith or Angel, then the goddamn initiative is coming after you. Keeping your head down becomes the move for most of the independent denizens of evil.

But Spike was pretty much a loser in his mortal life, so this is kinda par for the course.
User avatar

Nacmir

Garbage Collector

Postby Nacmir » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:31 pm

Strict31 wrote:
Buffy, as a slayer of vampires, provided a significant reversal of fortune for Spike. His rivalry with Angelus also didn't always prove profitable. This is probably why both of them became objects of such obsession for Spike early on.

I mean, Buffy kinda specialized in making ancient or powerful vampires look like morons. Look at Darla, for example.

And this is pretty much the single worst town in which to be a bad-ass creature of the night. If you're not getting your ass kicked by Buffy or Faith or Angel, then the goddamn initiative is coming after you. Keeping your head down becomes the move for most of the independent denizens of evil.

But Spike was pretty much a loser in his mortal life, so this is kinda par for the course.


For Spike fans, there is always hope: Angel S5 E8.
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
"It's Mountain Dew"
User avatar

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:46 pm

Strict31 wrote:
Buffy, as a slayer of vampires, provided a significant reversal of fortune for Spike. His rivalry with Angelus also didn't always prove profitable. This is probably why both of them became objects of such obsession for Spike early on.

I mean, Buffy kinda specialized in making ancient or powerful vampires look like morons. Look at Darla, for example.

And this is pretty much the single worst town in which to be a bad-ass creature of the night. If you're not getting your ass kicked by Buffy or Faith or Angel, then the goddamn initiative is coming after you. Keeping your head down becomes the move for most of the independent denizens of evil.

But Spike was pretty much a loser in his mortal life, so this is kinda par for the course.


We haven't gotten any real back story on spike just yet, he just roles in takes over and kills the annointed one, then basically fails in every endeavor he has up to the point where I'm at. I just finished the first part of the two parter with the black slayer, I assume he'll actually win this time and kill her.

And don't forget Buffy only beat Darla with the help of Angel, and even then I didn't really think she stayed alive for so long because of her own cunning but because of her connection to the master.

It's strange though, the series starts with Buffy moving to the hellmouth which we are told is the place of the worst magical juju around. Well what happened prior to Buffy being there? If there is only one slayer in the world what happens with all the other vampires and demons around the world?

I'm sure some of this is explained as the series progresses the the mythos is expanded upon.
User avatar

Nacmir

Garbage Collector

Postby Nacmir » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:17 pm

Rockman wrote:
We haven't gotten any real back story on spike just yet, he just roles in takes over and kills the annointed one, then basically fails in every endeavor he has up to the point where I'm at. I just finished the first part of the two parter with the black slayer, I assume he'll actually win this time and kill her.

And don't forget Buffy only beat Darla with the help of Angel, and even then I didn't really think she stayed alive for so long because of her own cunning but because of her connection to the master.

It's strange though, the series starts with Buffy moving to the hellmouth which we are told is the place of the worst magical juju around. Well what happened prior to Buffy being there? If there is only one slayer in the world what happens with all the other vampires and demons around the world?

I'm sure some of this is explained as the series progresses the the mythos is expanded upon.


I thought movie was in cannon, so it's movie then Sunnydale, but I might be wrong. About the one slayer vs world, I thought they being short-lived helped it a lot, that and a couple things that happen later.
User avatar

nietoperz

The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:21 pm

Nacmir wrote:
I thought movie was in cannon, so it's movie then Sunnydale, but I might be wrong. About the one slayer vs world, I thought they being short-lived helped it a lot, that and a couple things that happen later.


The movie isn't cannon.
User avatar

Nacmir

Garbage Collector

Postby Nacmir » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:26 pm

nietoperz wrote:
The movie isn't cannon.


My mistake then, sorry for misleading.

PDH

penile prisoner

Postby PDH » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:51 pm

In canon, though, isn't Buffy supposed to have had some adventures prior to Sunnydale? I thought I remembered it being referenced in the show. I think I've only seen half of the movie.
User avatar

Nacmir

Garbage Collector

Postby Nacmir » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:57 pm

PDH wrote:In canon, though, isn't Buffy supposed to have had some adventures prior to Sunnydale? I thought I remembered it being referenced in the show. I think I've only seen half of the movie.


I recall Bubby talking about some incident in her prior school, I thought that was a movie reference, but I haven't seen the show in ages.
User avatar

Muppetesque

Cunning Linguist

Postby Muppetesque » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:06 pm

Nacmir wrote:
I recall Bubby talking about some incident in her prior school, I thought that was a movie reference, but I haven't seen the show in ages.


IIRC, "cannon" is more like Whedon's original draft of the movie. In other words something similar to, but not exactly like, the movie occurred. It's an X-Men Forever sort of moment - the creator picked and chose what he wanted included.
User avatar

nietoperz

The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:16 pm

Muppetesque wrote:
IIRC, "cannon" is more like Whedon's original draft of the movie. In other words something similar to, but not exactly like, the movie occurred. It's an X-Men Forever sort of moment - the creator picked and chose what he wanted included.


This. Also, we do see Buffy's life prior to Sunnydale - her old Watcher, her high school - in flashbacks with Whistler showing her to Angel. Also, we know that there was an incident in which Buffy burned down her old gym.

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:38 pm

I always thought they were refing the movie in the series.

Hmmm, I wonder if the show could be remade, since they remake anything that ended five or more years ago now.
User avatar

Herald

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Herald » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:54 pm

Muppetesque wrote:
IIRC, "cannon" is more like Whedon's original draft of the movie. In other words something similar to, but not exactly like, the movie occurred. It's an X-Men Forever sort of moment - the creator picked and chose what he wanted included.


THIS.
As I linked you all to earlier:

"The TV show took the first movie as originally scripted as canon, not the film that resulted."

You guys would be more informed if you just READ the @#%$ing TROPES. :smt011 :P

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:58 pm

Herald wrote:[/url]

THIS.
As I linked you all to earlier:

"The TV show took the first movie as originally scripted as canon, not the film that resulted."

You guys would be more informed if you just READ the @#%$ing TROPES. :smt011 :P


NEVER!!!
User avatar

David Bird

rubber spoon

Postby David Bird » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:43 pm

Rockman wrote:
We haven't gotten any real back story on spike just yet, he just roles in takes over and kills the annointed one, then basically fails in every endeavor he has up to the point where I'm at. I just finished the first part of the two parter with the black slayer, I assume he'll actually win this time and kill her.

And don't forget Buffy only beat Darla with the help of Angel, and even then I didn't really think she stayed alive for so long because of her own cunning but because of her connection to the master.

It's strange though, the series starts with Buffy moving to the hellmouth which we are told is the place of the worst magical juju around. Well what happened prior to Buffy being there? If there is only one slayer in the world what happens with all the other vampires and demons around the world?

I'm sure some of this is explained as the series progresses the the mythos is expanded upon.


Actually, Spike becomes just as unimpressed with his performance around Buffy as you are. That frustration sets him on a course in which reconsiders that nature of their relationship to... well, that would be telling!
User avatar

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:43 pm

Well I was wrong about Kendra dying in that 2-parter, Spike still comes off as an incompetent.

Buffy just killed John Ritter :cry:

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Earth-2 NoctourneM, Google [Bot], MSNbot Media and 22 guests

cron