Advertisement

Ways in Which My School Sucks

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

L Independant
25 To Life

Liked in: 0 post

Ways in Which My School Sucks

Postby L Independant » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:45 am

1. Their email system is atrocious. I attached 4 PDFs and 2 Excel files to an email yesterday and both recipients only received 1. This, after I learned I can't use the email system with Flock, and had to use IE, as I can't use it in Mozilla, either.

2. Admin sucks. It's 2 weeks until the end of the semester and I don't know the status of my summer employment, because they're still working out university protocol...again. They never leave it the same for more than 1 year.

3. Blackboard. They use it, it sucks. It's contributing to 3 week delays in my assignments, as my professor doesn't know the problem for that long.

4. The Master's International Program here sucks. It's two halves - one half course work, 1 half Peace Corps service. There's no integration at all, and no indication that my research will even contribute to my Peace Corps' service.

5. Buck-passing. Nobody takes responsibility for their job, so nothing gets done until someone's boss tells them to do their job instead of delegating it through email.

6. Low-caliber students and cowardly professors. The students can't hack the work and whine and the professors cave, at the expense of the rest of us. This appears to be structural, as the people whining all did their undergrads here. The professors are scared to get negative evaluation forms because those things are taken too seriously here, despite often being filled out in spite by students pissed because they weren't "given" an A.

7. I have to worry about the size of my paycheck month to month because the university is always seeking ways to not give us compensation for time worked, knowing full well that as a graduate student you need to work 20+ hours to get your thesis done. But they'll find ways to even chip away at the 20 hours you're entitled to work each week.

8. We haven't won a football game in 2 years. Flava Flav was our MC for 2 straight years on homecoming weekend, while Oprah was across the street for Bennett College's homecoming as their MC. Couldn't we have at least had Arsenio Hall?

I need to do a Ph.D. just so I have some faith left in the American University system.

Advertisement

The Juan Percenter
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby The Juan Percenter » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:00 pm

It could have been worse - Dan Qualye was the keynote speaker for my graduation :oops:

I was in the same class with his son, Tucker

Zenguru
Staff Writer

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby Zenguru » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:00 pm

You forgot:

#9. No tapioca pudding in the cafeteria. :wink:

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 323 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:51 pm

1. So does my school email.
2. EVERY university in the world has shitty administration. Fact is you just have to find ways around it. There are ways, though. Talk to a program director or someone.
3. Blackboard is crap but you just have to get used to it. Avoid it if you can.
4. Did they not explain this when they gave you the program description?
5. That's everywhere you go.
6. Why don't you speak up about this?
7. This one gets to me. At least you get funding. Some schools, mostly the prestigious schools in North America, don't even offer funding for MAs, only for Ph.Ds.
8. My school's football team has the longest losing streak in history. 48 games in a row. Yup.
9. Tapioca pudding is atrocious.

If you don't like it, you can always leave and go somewhere else.
SHABBA!

L Independant
25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:07 pm

Keb wrote:1. So does my school email.
2. EVERY university in the world has shitty administration. Fact is you just have to find ways around it. There are ways, though. Talk to a program director or someone.
3. Blackboard is crap but you just have to get used to it. Avoid it if you can.
4. Did they not explain this when they gave you the program description?
5. That's everywhere you go.
6. Why don't you speak up about this?
7. This one gets to me. At least you get funding. Some schools, mostly the prestigious schools in North America, don't even offer funding for MAs, only for Ph.Ds.
8. My school's football team has the longest losing streak in history. 48 games in a row. Yup.
9. Tapioca pudding is atrocious.

If you don't like it, you can always leave and go somewhere else.
1. I miss MSU's email. Bare-bones and HUGE. I never had any problems, outside of SPAM.
2. Even the Chair of my dept. is frustrated with it, as is my advisor. It's structural, and we all believe it's a result of cronyism.
3. I have an online class. :(
4. Nope.
5. Wasn't that way in gov't. Amazingly. Though, I wasn't in a political office.
6. I have, to two professors, and nothing's happened. I'd fight it but I have shit to do.
7. I wouldn't consider it funding. It barely covers my bills, enough so that I have a second job, which I'd work full-time if not for this job. But it's a little better pay.
8. We'll get there.
9. Never had it.
10. Our school is two miles across and most people drive from one side of campus to the other rather than walk. I hate being almost hit on my bike from cars that don't recognize me as a legitimate driver. Nowhere else in town does this happen to me, and in some parts, I even have a bike lane. Fancy. :D

As for leaving, I'm $120K in student loan debt and leaving would probably leave me with no viable way to pay that off anytime soon, and Sallie Mae/the gov't would have me by the balls more than they already do. :( Can't a guy bitch?

L Independant
25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:16 pm

milton73 wrote:It could have been worse - Dan Qualye was the keynote speaker for my graduation :oops:

I was in the same class with his son, Tucker
Tucker must halve ben sew prowd.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:32 pm

L'Indépendant wrote:Can't a guy bitch?
Sure you can bitch, but I'd expect you to do more than bitch. You need to tell them this stuff.

The driving thing is soooooooooooooo ridiculous! People do that at my school too.
SHABBA!

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember

Postby DeadFett » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:47 pm

Keb wrote:Sure you can bitch, but I'd expect you to do more than bitch. You need to tell them this stuff.

The driving thing is soooooooooooooo ridiculous! People do that at my school too.

Eh, let him bitch. Maybe it's the cynic in me, but I doubt saying something to the administration will get anything accomplished.

L Independant
25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:50 pm

DeadFett wrote:Eh, let him bitch. Maybe it's the cynic in me, but I doubt saying something to the administration will get anything accomplished.
It's done nothing so far. Everybody says you have to bitch to someone else. :wink:

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Postby DeadFett » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:14 pm

L'Indépendant wrote:It's done nothing so far. Everybody says you have to bitch to someone else. :wink:

Which brings it back to your fifth point.

Zenguru
Staff Writer

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby Zenguru » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:54 pm

Keb wrote:9. Tapioca pudding is atrocious.
Unless it's homemade. YUM!!! 8)

toolverine
King of Circle-Jerking

Postby toolverine » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:02 pm

Keb wrote:Sure you can bitch, but I'd expect you to do more than bitch. You need to tell them this stuff.

Exactly. We do not exist without students such as yourself. Unfortunately, the servant mentality isn't as pervasive as it should be, students are our bread and butter. Finding way to better serve them should be our primary goal.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:33 pm

Vic is right. I also want to emphasize the amounts of money we give to institutions too. It doesn't mean we should rule but they should definitely be working for us. Tuitions never stop increasing...
SHABBA!

L Independant
25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:22 am

In indicative news, my professor told me to NOT deal with our secretary anymore and to go straight to the Admin building about summer employment. She's not his secretary, but the dept.'s, but he's pretty tired of her shenanigans. :D

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Postby DeadFett » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:23 pm

L'Indépendant wrote:In indicative news, my professor told me to NOT deal with our secretary anymore and to go straight to the Admin building about summer employment. She's not his secretary, but the dept.'s, but he's pretty tired of her shenanigans. :D

Hopefully, things will get taken care of then.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum