Friday, December 14, 2018 • Morning Edition • "Voted best hair in high school."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

I went splurging on trades...

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

NedPepper

cheese

Postby NedPepper » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:24 pm

Between Borders and Amazon, I've bought a lot of comics the last two weeks.

And they are:

Gotham Central: In the Line of Duty: Brubaker before his Marvel days, as well as Greg Rucka. I knew this was going to be good, but damn. Still, as a person who hasn't picked up a Batman book in years, I kinda wish Jim Gordon was in this series. Anyway, I really dug this.

Ultimate Spider-Man....and his Amazing Friends. Or 20th edition. Bendis perplexes me more than any other writer working today. How can his USM continue to be spot on wonderful and his work on the Avengers so awful? I love this book, and have since the very beginning. Just fun stuff.

Swamp Thing: The Saga of Swamp Thing 1-3. By Alan Moore. Holy shit, this was the book that made Moore a legend. This is where it started, and damn, it still holds up today. I just finished reading the issue where Swamp Thing goes to hell to save his girl. Just powerful writing here. I don't know why it's taken me so long to pick this up, but wow.....

X-Men: Legacy: Volume 1 Mike Carey rocks. I really enjoyed this. He's broken Xavier down to his core and he's now rebuilding him, and I finally understand why this book exists. This needed to be done a LONG time ago. Charles Xavier's place in the Marvel U has been kind of muddy for a long time, and I think this is leading somewhere interesting. I just hate that volume 2 will probably have the damn Wolverine crossover in it and I'll have to read Daniel Way's shitty writing.

Joss Whedon's Runaways. Haven't read it, yet. Working on it.

Criminal Volume 2 and 3. I love this book. Noir at its finest. It's my favorite comic on the shelf. I love how everything ties together. Bru's building a tapestry here that is to be admired. But, man Bru needs to let someone edit these suckers before they go to print. The only bad thing I can say about this wonderful series is that there are occasional GLARING typos.

Oh, and I read The Ruins by Scott Smith. Not a comic, but a great example of unrelenting horror that doesn't pretend to be anything other than what it is. A bleak, terrifying, and pitch black horror novel.

I'm probably leaving something out. I've done a lot of reading lately.

So, is there anything else I need to pick up that I've missed?

eyp

Fagorstorm

Postby eyp » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:29 pm

I love the trade splurge, I don't like the typo.

NedPepper

cheese

Postby NedPepper » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:36 pm

eypcrew2 wrote:I love the trade splurge, I don't like the typo.

It makes me wonder if the ICON books have editors at all. I'm thinking no. When you have a foreward written by John Singleton, it shouldn't have typos in it. The foreward is the first thing a person sits down to read, and seeing an embarrassing typo right off the bat kind of makes it look unprofessional.

And there have been other big typos in the dialogue and the narrative as well in the series as a whole. But it's a minor complaint for a great series.

Daniel

Great Scott!!!

Postby Daniel » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:45 pm

Orgasm!

Crump

Hater

Postby Crump » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:46 pm

really nice score, man.

Too bad Alan Moore's Saga of Swamp Thing Book One didn't drop sooner for ya.

http://www.amazon.com/Saga-Swamp-Thing-Book-One/dp/1401220827

john lewis hawk

Founder of The Outhouse

Postby john lewis hawk » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:53 pm

Good picks there.

I'm hoping Legacy is released as a softcover soon.

eyp

Fagorstorm

Postby eyp » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:54 pm

NedPepper wrote:It makes me wonder if the ICON books have editors at all. I'm thinking no. When you have a foreward written by John Singleton, it shouldn't have typos in it. The foreward is the first thing a person sits down to read, and seeing an embarrassing typo right off the bat kind of makes it look unprofessional.

And there have been other big typos in the dialogue and the narrative as well in the series as a whole. But it's a minor complaint for a great series.

I don't read very many ICON books, but it seems like thats a label that Marvel sort of lets run itself.

NedPepper

cheese

Postby NedPepper » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:03 am

Crump wrote:really nice score, man.

Too bad Alan Moore's Saga of Swamp Thing Book One didn't drop sooner for ya.

http://www.amazon.com/Saga-Swamp-Thing-Book-One/dp/1401220827

Oh, that sucks. Ah, well, in a weird way, picking it up a couple trades at a time almost feels like I'm reading something new and vibrant.

I'm actually glad I held off on some of the classic works. There's so much I can't stand about Marvel and DC these days, it's great to know that there are books I haven't read yet.

I also want to read Denny O'Neil's run on The Question. I'll have to see if that's been collected or not.....

NedPepper

cheese

Postby NedPepper » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:05 am

john lewis wrote:Good picks there.

I'm hoping Legacy is released as a softcover soon.

Probably a couple months. I was actually really surprised by this book. I wasn't expecting much at all, and it made it that much better.

Not surprisingly, being Carey, there's a really cool horror vibe going on in this book. I dig it.

Daniel

Great Scott!!!

Postby Daniel » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:32 am

The Question is being collected, I think it's on trade 2 now...

Crump

Hater

Postby Crump » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:44 am

NedPepper wrote:Oh, that sucks. Ah, well, in a weird way, picking it up a couple trades at a time almost feels like I'm reading something new and vibrant.

I'm actually glad I held off on some of the classic works. There's so much I can't stand about Marvel and DC these days, it's great to know that there are books I haven't read yet.

I also want to read Denny O'Neil's run on The Question. I'll have to see if that's been collected or not.....

yeah, i really put off reading swamp thing, and i'm glad i did. it was a treat when i eventually got to it.

i read the first o'neil Question trade, and it was surprisingly violent and weird.

john lewis hawk

Founder of The Outhouse

Postby john lewis hawk » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:50 am

NedPepper wrote:Probably a couple months. I was actually really surprised by this book. I wasn't expecting much at all, and it made it that much better.

Not surprisingly, being Carey, there's a really cool horror vibe going on in this book. I dig it.
Yeah. I think Carey's my second favorite writer at the moment. The last issue was really good.

NedPepper

cheese

Postby NedPepper » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:53 am

Crump wrote:yeah, i really put off reading swamp thing, and i'm glad i did. it was a treat when i eventually got to it.

i read the first o'neil Question trade, and it was surprisingly violent and weird.

That's what I was hoping for. :-D

zombiemichaeljackson

rubber spoon

Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:54 am

john lewis wrote:Yeah. I think Carey's my second favorite writer at the moment. The last issue was really good.

I tend to like Carey's stuff but I *really* don't like his X-men.

eyp

Fagorstorm

Postby eyp » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:54 am

twoheads wrote:I tend to like Carey's stuff but I *really* don't like his X-men.

I'm so up and down on him. I LOVE lucifer, but I HATE his adaptation of Neverwhere.

leave a comment with facebook