Saturday, May 28, 2016 • Morning Edition • "The place to talk some shit."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

What are you reading, Book-wise not comic-wise?

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LoganRSA

penile prisoner

Postby LoganRSA » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:09 am

HNutz wrote:How is NOS4A2?

It was alright; not great, but had some good parts. It wasn't nearly as creepy or scary as I'd hoped for, but the fantasy premise he creates is interesting and I would like to explore it more. I swear he sounds exactly like his father. If I read this without knowing the author I would have pegged it as Stephen King almost immediately. Kate Mulgrew did a great job with the narration, especially with her voice for Charlie Manx, who is a pretty neat villain. (Bing is not, though.)

bkthomson wrote:What did you think of Player One?

I enjoyed it. The nostalgic 80s trappings are definitely the selling point here, because the story isn't that original. A lot of his visions of the tech of the future are pretty straightforward and kind of stunted when you realize that this is supposed to be thirty years in the future. Just looking at how much we've advanced over the past decade I have to believe we'll be beyond some of that stuff by 2044, especially when you consider the OASIS is just a VR version of Second Life on steroids. It was a very fun read, though. I'd really like to know what the YA audience of today thinks of it without having the 80s nostalgia angle.

Starlord

Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:49 am

Right in the middle of Dances with Dragons right now.

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:10 pm

Nightfly

Staff Writer

Postby Nightfly » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:56 am

Just a few chapters away from finishing Allegiant, the third book in the Divergent trilogy.

Just prior to that I read The Maze Runner trilogy and its prequel (The Kill Order) on the recommendation of fellow Outhouser Sarah.
I wanted to read these series before their upcoming films debut. The Maze Runner premieres in Sept, and Divergent hits theaters this March.

Nightfly

Staff Writer

Postby Nightfly » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:54 am

Can't say I really loved how Allegiant ended but, oh well, I guess shit happens.

Nightfly

Staff Writer

Postby Nightfly » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:58 am

Bitten by Kelly Armstrong. I'm hoping to get through the book before screening the Syfy series (starring Laura Vandervoort) based on it.

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:33 am

Schlemmer

Rain Partier

Postby Schlemmer » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:59 pm

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:57 pm

nietoperz

The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:04 pm

KingPagla

WTF is this rank?

Postby KingPagla » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:53 pm

Just read Tarzan the Untamed. The seventh Tarzan book and sixth novel.

What a rambling mess this was, story wanders all over the place with very little coherence.
And Burroughs really turns up the racism with this one, too. He even goes so far as to create a "race" of people to be racist against.
In the earlier books the racism seemed to stem more from ignorance, but this book is aggressively racist.
I can only guess that he was really buying into Eugenics, which was near the height of it's popularity in America when he wrote this.

The book does have some good scenes and some interesting stuff on Tarzan's duality as English Nobleman and Savage Ape-Man, but it's a mess as a whole.

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:11 pm

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:43 am

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:28 pm

KingPagla wrote:Just read Tarzan the Untamed. The seventh Tarzan book and sixth novel.

What a rambling mess this was, story wanders all over the place with very little coherence.
And Burroughs really turns up the racism with this one, too. He even goes so far as to create a "race" of people to be racist against.
In the earlier books the racism seemed to stem more from ignorance, but this book is aggressively racist.
I can only guess that he was really buying into Eugenics, which was near the height of it's popularity in America when he wrote this.

The book does have some good scenes and some interesting stuff on Tarzan's duality as English Nobleman and Savage Ape-Man, but it's a mess as a whole.

Oh I love that cover!

KingPagla

WTF is this rank?

Postby KingPagla » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:58 pm

Arion wrote:
Oh I love that cover!

Yeah it is sweet. And it's probably the best scene in the book.

leave a comment with facebook