Thursday, June 30, 2016 • Afternoon Edition • "Newsarama 2: Outhouse Boogaloo."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

What are you reading, Book-wise not comic-wise?

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:51 pm

contramundi

cheese

Postby contramundi » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:31 am

have all of gaimans books..love the short story collections,the one where there a knight in search of the grail in an old womans house,the snow white vampire one and the devil vs stray cat one to name a few..but the graveyeardbook fell short on me,perhaps it was a bit too kid friendly? dont know..hes one of my favourite authors along with giles kristian and joe abercrombie ;)

nietoperz

The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:48 pm

Yesterday, I read 'The Rise and Fall of Great Powers' by Tom Rachman, which was wonderful. Highly recommended.

Today, I read 'London Falling' by Paul Cornell. I enjoyed it, but perhaps not as much as I'd hoped I would. The world he creates is well thought out and evocative, but something about the novel left me a little cold. Will still read the follow-up, mind you.

Tomorrow, I'm going to get a start on 'England's Dreaming' by Jon Savage.

Lord Simian

The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:35 pm

Rob Thompson

FROGMAN

Postby Rob Thompson » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:39 am

MikeinLA

Rorshach Test Subject

Postby MikeinLA » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:52 am

nietoperz

The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:44 pm

OK, so this week I've read:
    Consiliance by Edward O. Wilson - essentially an argument for the unity of all knowledge around scientific bases.
    The Trip to Echo Spring by Julia Laing, which is an examination of alcoholism as it pertains to six twentieth century American writers, namely Tennessee Williams, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway, John Cheever, Raymond Carver and John Berryman.
    The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman
    Maximum Bob by Elmore Leonard
    and now I've started The Dog Said Bow Wow by Michael Swanwick, having read his work for the first time in the Rogues anthology and been blown away.

contramundi

cheese

Postby contramundi » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:10 am

Stephen Day wrote:Image

read the age of odin and rather liked it ;)

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:24 am

contramundi wrote:
read the age of odin and rather liked it ;)

Yeah, this book made me interested in reading the rest of the series. :)

bkthomson

Rain Partier

Postby bkthomson » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:24 am

Read the Forever War. Enjoyed it a lot I can see how it was an award winner during its time. The only theme I did not see as much of was it parallels to the Vietnam war.

bkthomson

Rain Partier

Postby bkthomson » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:24 am

nietoperz wrote:OK, so this week I've read:
    Consiliance by Edward O. Wilson - essentially an argument for the unity of all knowledge around scientific bases.
    The Trip to Echo Spring by Julia Laing, which is an examination of alcoholism as it pertains to six twentieth century American writers, namely Tennessee Williams, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway, John Cheever, Raymond Carver and John Berryman.
    The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman
    Maximum Bob by Elmore Leonard
    and now I've started The Dog Said Bow Wow by Michael Swanwick, having read his work for the first time in the Rogues anthology and been blown away.

I have the Dog Said Bow Wow on my kindle and I hope to get to it this year.

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:32 am

Lord Ice

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Lord Ice » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:53 pm

Mary Ann in Autumn by Armistead Maupin - Second book in the final trilogy. Full of references of current day topics and pop culture that will seem dated in a few years, but will seem like cool nostalgia 20-30 years from now, as the first books in the series seem today.

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:51 pm

The individual chapters are a little short, overall it's been a fun read.

UnionJack

Mad Hatter

Postby UnionJack » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:27 pm

Read the first one - great stuff and this second volume keeps maintains the standard.

Wilde's portrayal of Hereward makes me think of a Dark Ages version of The Phantom or The Shadow. Even got the cool aliases - The Devil of the Fens, The Ghost who comes from the Mist, The King of Terror.

Finding myself outraged at the Normans treatment of England & it's people....

leave a comment with facebook