Sunday, November 19, 2017 • Morning Edition • "For when life fails you."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

What are you reading, Book-wise not comic-wise?

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Spacedog

Great Scott!!!

Postby Spacedog » Thu May 04, 2017 5:05 am

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu May 25, 2017 2:32 am

Eli Katz

OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Thu May 25, 2017 7:18 am

Just finished this:
Perhaps the best book I've read about this country. To say that it dismantles the founding myths is an understatement. Mind blowing revision of American history. Highly recommend it!

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:44 pm

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:27 am

NeverReady

Rorshach Test Subject

Postby NeverReady » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:52 am

The Continental Op by Dashiell Hammett

jephd

cheese

Postby jephd » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:48 am

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:16 pm

Jesse

Post Whore

Postby Jesse » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:28 pm

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
by Philip K. Dick

I've been meaning to read this for awhile now and am glad I finally got around to doing so. Once I started reading it I had a hard time putting it down and ending up binge reading it over the last few days. Initially I wanted to judge it on its own and not compare it to the film but I found that virtually impossible. While there are obviously similarities I thought the book was different in many ways and I was able to really enjoy reading it. I think one of the main differences was the concept of Mercerism and using empathy boxes I don't think that made it into the film in any form. One of the reasons I feel this is such a great book is it gave me so much to think about the next time I reread it.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
The scenes with the other bounty hunter Phil Resch and the android Garland definitely had me wondering whether or not Decker was an android and how far androids had infiltrated society for that matter. The later scenes with Deckard using the empathy box as well as having remorse for having to kill the Nexus 6 androids gave me the impression that Deckard was indeed human. As did the TV personality who was possibly an android revealing Mercerism as a hoax. I felt PKD was drawing a very clear line using Mercerism to tell the difference between humans and androids. The scene where Pris is cutting the legs off of the spider made me cringe. I thought that was really effective. The whole Mercerism being revealed as a hoax but also Deckard and Isidore both having these religious experiences was interesting but sort of confused me though. By the end I was almost wondering if Deckard could be turning into a special.

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:21 pm

jephd

cheese

Postby jephd » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:36 pm

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:45 am

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:02 am

Sween

Faster Pussycat

Postby Sween » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:52 pm

Monster 1983. Enjoyable so far!

Spacedog

Great Scott!!!

Postby Spacedog » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:10 pm

One of those books you can't put down until you finish it. Really good writer - I'm already searching for his other books.

leave a comment with facebook