Friday, November 16, 2018 • Evening Edition • "All nerds welcome. Bring your own toilet paper."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

What are you reading, Book-wise not comic-wise?

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Whale

Whippersnapper

Postby Whale » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:07 pm

Shusaku Endo: Samurai

NeverReady

cheese

Postby NeverReady » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:39 pm

Chessack wrote:Been re-reading the first two Chronicles of Thomas Covenant series in preparation for reading the third and final one. I just finished book 3 of the first trilogy and am halfway through book 1 of the 2nd trilogy.

I loved these books years ago, and wasn't sure I would still enjoy them now but I do. Especially the first book of trilogy #2 (The Wounded Land).

I absolutely loved the first trilogy and eagerly awaited the arrival of The Wounded Land. I dove straight in as soon as I got it. Jesus Christ, what a chore! From the start, there were usually at least ten words per page that I had to look for in a dictionary. My conclusion was that Stephen R. Donaldson had used the proceeds from the first trilogy to invest in a thesaurus and was determined to get his money's worth. I so loved the first Chronicles,and still do, though, that I ploughed through the second. It was worth it in the long run but, damn, he needed an editor to rein in his excesses. Sadly, I could never bring myself to read the third Chronicles. Maybe someday...

RobThompson

cheese

Postby RobThompson » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:39 pm

NeverReady wrote:I absolutely loved the first trilogy and eagerly awaited the arrival of The Wounded Land. I dove straight in as soon as I got it. Jesus Christ, what a chore! From the start, there were usually at least ten words per page that I had to look for in a dictionary. My conclusion was that Stephen R. Donaldson had used the proceeds from the first trilogy to invest in a thesaurus and was determined to get his money's worth. I so loved the first Chronicles,and still do, though, that I ploughed through the second. It was worth it in the long run but, damn, he needed an editor to rein in his excesses. Sadly, I could never bring myself to read the third Chronicles. Maybe someday...

You should. It was a fantastic ending.

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:18 am

RobThompson

cheese

Postby RobThompson » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:10 pm

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:37 am

Shadow of the Titanic. Its a fantastic book but an incredibly emotional one too because so often in life, historians dont talk about what happens to people after going through a monumental disaster, well Shadow of the Titanic does. It explores the lives of several passengers and crew to find out how the disaster impacted them in the years after the sinking. Some were so traumatized they never recovered - one chapter talks about how a woman was reunited with her husband after the sinking but it was already too late - she had lapsed into a deep depression and she was institutionalized. Several passengers committed suicide - unable to deal with the memories. Some by jumping from buildings, the back of other ships or blowing their brains out with a gun. Still others became all too happy to relive the disaster over and over, relishing that they were on board the ill fated liner and insisting they were the only authority to really know what happened that dreadful night. So if you want to know what happened and how disasters dont just end on the day they happened, its recommended reading. overall 5/5.

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed May 09, 2018 3:04 pm

RobThompson

cheese

Postby RobThompson » Wed May 09, 2018 5:03 pm

RobThompson

cheese

Postby RobThompson » Thu May 17, 2018 6:14 am

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu May 17, 2018 2:48 pm

Chessack

Great Scott!!!

Postby Chessack » Thu May 17, 2018 7:42 pm

I'm reading the most recently released (like, a week ago) and 21st installment of Victoria Thompson's Gaslight Mystery series. I've had it for 2 days and I am halfway done already. Biggest problem with these is they're fairly short, quick reads, and then I have to wait a whole year for the next one. But they are delightful if you like a good historical mystery novel.

LiamA

cheese

Postby LiamA » Thu May 17, 2018 9:29 pm

I might not read it straight through but I started reading the Robin William's biography Robin today.

Glaeken

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Glaeken » Fri May 18, 2018 10:59 am

Caped- Darius Brasher - The first book in the Omega Superhero series.

LoganRSA

FROGMAN

Postby LoganRSA » Fri May 18, 2018 2:06 pm

Punchy wrote:Image

Just reread this last month. :drunk

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:51 pm

leave a comment with facebook