Advertisement

What are you reading, Book-wise not comic-wise?

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 606 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:10 pm

Bramm Stoker's Dracula. Because it's summer, bitches.

Advertisement

guitargod694
Post Whore

Liked in: 100 posts
Title: Total Spaceship Guy

Postby guitargod694 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:30 pm

I'll finish dark tower II tonight (I have about 20 pages left).

It been more interesting than the first one, but I still don't know where this is going or if I care. Hopefully there are some answers in these last few pages.
-Bill-

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Chubbles » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:41 pm

i'm reading the innocent man by grisham...i'm only on chapter 3 but i like it so far

Flynn the Pirate

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:42 pm

American Gods by Neil Gaiman. If for no other reason than to get my roommate to stop telling me to read it.

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:49 pm

Brubaker citing it as an influence for Cap: Reborn got me curious so I'm re-reading this for the first time in 17 years...

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:07 pm

Flynn the Pirate wrote:American Gods by Neil Gaiman. If for no other reason than to get my roommate to stop telling me to read it.

One of my favorite novels...

I started 'A Game of Thrones' by George R.R. Martin yesterday and this is normally not my thing but I am totally sucked in.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:33 pm

Valis by Philip K. Dick. Probably the most fucked-up book of his I've read. And that's saying something.

It's not a sci fi novel, either, which is great, because I generally loathe sci fi. It's about Dick having a mental collapse and chronicling what he believes is a spiritual invasion of his mind. He narrates the novel using several different personalities--the normal drug-addled Dick and the hyper-rational, spiritually invaded Dick who discusses Christian Gnosticism at great length. Fucked up in a very brilliant way. Can't recommend it enough.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:10 am

About to start The World According To Garp

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:21 am

Kerny wrote:About to start The World According To Garp

You’re in for a treat if you haven’t read it yet. A very funny and imaginative book.

Skyrider
Flying Mongoose

Title: Voice of Reason

Postby Skyrider » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:04 am

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 279 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:42 am

I just read the whole of Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy: if anyone hasn't read these books, they really need to. Just the best fantasy trilogy I have ever read, like a determinist take on the Narnia books crossed with Paradise Lost. After I had finished The Amber Spyglass I actually couldn't pick up another book for a few days.

I've just begun The Good, The Bad and The Undead which is the second book in Kim Harrison's The Hollows series. I read the first one on Jude's recommendation, and I have to say I like this series. Not quite on a par with the Dresden Files, but pretty close.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:08 am

Philip Pullman is rubbish! I am convinced no child actually likes his books, apart from the admittedly cool idea of a Daemon. They are forced upon kids by insufferable parents.

Amber Spyglass is one of the worst books I have ever read, it was nigh incomprehensible, smug and just bad.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:58 am

Punchy wrote:Philip Pullman is rubbish! I am convinced no child actually likes his books, apart from the admittedly cool idea of a Daemon. They are forced upon kids by insufferable parents.

Amber Spyglass is one of the worst books I have ever read, it was nigh incomprehensible, smug and just bad.

You're wrong. Seriously, you're even more wrong than you usually are, which is a pretty stunning achievement. :P

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:59 am

Punchy wrote:Philip Pullman is rubbish! I am convinced no child actually likes his books, apart from the admittedly cool idea of a Daemon. They are forced upon kids by insufferable parents.

You're wrong. Seriously, you're even more wrong than you usually are, which is a pretty stunning achievement. :P

Jack Burton
biny little tird

Liked in: 54 posts

Postby Jack Burton » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:46 am

I read the first 2 and last half of the Dark Materials books and....they were pretty boring to me. Lot's of neat ideas but they got so terribly boring I couldn't finish them.

The Hollows is something I'll need to check out. If it's even close to a bit as good as Dresden that's enough for me.

Last week I read Stephen Lawhead's Hood(reimagining of Robin Hood) and just finished his second book in the trilogy Scarlet.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum