Advertisement

What is Hate?

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

funckygarcon
SUSHI FISH

Liked in: 0 post
Title: blood thirsty

What is Hate?

Postby funckygarcon » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:47 am

"WARNING" the following is a psychological and mental debate, if you don't like debates, don't participate otherwise you're welcome to discuss my theory about hate.

what is hate? Obviously it's the opposite of love. to truly answer what hate is, you need to ask yourself: what is love?
love is feelings of happiness and comfort you feel towards someone or something. example: you love your dog, your neighbors, your salad, your offspring...etc. that is love, something you've grown to like because you've grown to know it and appreciate it for what it is. if so, what is hate?
it's feelings of angst and feelings of annoyance as well as agitation, once someone mentions something you hate, you just can't help but feel digusted.
In my theory I deduced that hate is "lack of knowledge".
to put it simply: you never gave yourself the chance to fully understand and know or excuse the hated things or persons, just because you judged it by your first experience with it. example: someone treated you badly because they were having a bad day, and it was your first encounter with them. as a result you felt cheated and mistreated as if you were a target, no, you were nothing but a means of vent for them that day. so once someone mentions that person or encounter you can't help but hate them for that one thing, but say you met them the second day and they apologised and turned out to be cool persons, you'd like them, right? so my theory in short is: hate = lack of knowledge. I've hated so many things in my life due to me not knowing anything about them, but now that I've known those things and am in peace with them, they are now my favorite things and I think that applies to you too. So the solution to hate, for me at least, is to fully know and understand the things/persons you hate.

Advertisement

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 404 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Re: What is Hate?

Postby Chessack » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:28 am

I'm afraid I don't buy the idea that all hate is caused by lack of knowledge. In certain cases it can, and should, be caused by the presence of knowledge.

Here's a simple example: I hate Hitler. Hate him. Wish he never existed. Think he's the most evil, vile, repulsive, disgusting person who ever lived in the history of the world. I don't hate him out of ignorance for what he did and who he was, but as a result of knowing all the horrible, awful, despicable, nasty, terrible, repulsive, immoral things he did. The more I know about Hitler, the more disgusted I am by him. Literally, to know him is to hate him.

So my hate for him doesn't come from lack of knowledge. It's the people without knowledge who run around claiming the holocaust was "a hoax" and "never happened." Those ignoramuses might well not hate Hitler, due to lack of knowledge.

I'm sure folks can come up with other examples, and Hitler is kind of obvious, but hopefully it makes the point that lack of knowledge does not equal hatred.

funckygarcon
SUSHI FISH

Liked in: 0 post
Title: blood thirsty

Postby funckygarcon » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:42 am

Chessack wrote:I'm afraid I don't buy the idea that all hate is caused by lack of knowledge. In certain cases it can, and should, be caused by the presence of knowledge.

Here's a simple example: I hate Hitler. Hate him. Wish he never existed. Think he's the most evil, vile, repulsive, disgusting person who ever lived in the history of the world. I don't hate him out of ignorance for what he did and who he was, but as a result of knowing all the horrible, awful, despicable, nasty, terrible, repulsive, immoral things he did. The more I know about Hitler, the more disgusted I am by him. Literally, to know him is to hate him.

So my hate for him doesn't come from lack of knowledge. It's the people without knowledge who run around claiming the holocaust was "a hoax" and "never happened." Those ignoramuses might well not hate Hitler, due to lack of knowledge.

I'm sure folks can come up with other examples, and Hitler is kind of obvious, but hopefully it makes the point that lack of knowledge does not equal hatred.

alright, You've got a point, but there's a slight misunderstanding here and I quote you:- "lack of knowledge does not equal hatred"
I never meant to say that any kind of lack of knowledge equals hatred. I meant to say that most kinds of hatred are ignited by lack of knowledge. example:- someone says " I Hate Bieber" have you tried to listen to him? talked to him personally? knew his personal life? his real attitude as a human being? Most will say No to all of those questions. but they simply hate him because he sucks as an artist. am I right?
now back to your example of Hitler. while I'm not arguing that he was a piece of shit, we did know him because of a vile act: The Holocaust. that was our first experience with Hitler. what if we knew him before that??
Last edited by funckygarcon on Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:56 am

An emotion.

THREAD OVER.

Let's talk about Batman and Daredevil :-D

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 507 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:26 am

Batman would kick Daredevil's ass.

PDH
penile prisoner

Liked in: 95 posts

Postby PDH » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:15 am

funckygarcon wrote:
alright, You've got a point, but there's a slight misunderstanding here and I quote you:- "lack of knowledge does not equal hatred"
I never meant to say that any kind of lack of knowledge equals hatred. I meant to say that most kinds of hatred are ignited by lack of knowledge. example:- someone says " I Hate Bieber" have you tried to listen to him? talked to him personally? knew his personal life? his real attitude as a human being? Most will say No to all of those questions. but they simply hate him because he sucks as an artist. am I right?
now back to your example of Hitler. while I'm not arguing that he was a piece of shit, we did know him because of a vile act: The Holocaust. that was our first experience with Hitler. what if we knew him before that??

Suppose I were to argue that hate is fear. I could easily list a lot of examples of people hating things that they are afraid of. Whilst there are counter-examples it wouldn't be difficult for a person committed to this hypothesis to find clever ways around them, if they really wanted to.

Nonetheless, I think it's wrong. It's very easy to come up with this sort of theory. What I just did above isn't significantly more implausible than what you did. It's not stupid or anything. It's not so ridiculous that only a crazy person could come up with it. But there isn't any particular reason to think that this theory, rather one of the many others we could come up with, is true.

I mean, take a look at the predictive power of your theory. If lack of knowledge = hate then I should hate, for example, the field of pharmacogenomics, since I know almost nothing about it. But I don't hate it, on the contrary I recognise its enormous value to human society. So, this is a failed prediction.

However, suppose you have some response to this. Suppose that, whatever I say, you find some way of making it fit with your theory. This is not a good thing. If your theory is compatible with everything that could happen then it can't tell me what's going to happen! You can only predict things after they've happened (which anyone can do). It making a failed prediction that falsifies the theory is in many ways better than this, which amounts to not really making predictions at all. If your theory doesn't do that then it doesn't really help me understand hate. It doesn't explain hatred.

This is the central dilemma of explanations: they have to make claims about the world in order to help us understand the world but if they stick their necks out like that then there is a risk that they might be shown to be wrong. I think that, when your theory makes claims about the world, it gets some things right but it also gets a lot of things wrong and the only means of repairing it is to basically relinquish its ability to explain things at all.

It's not quite right, in other words.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 976 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:53 am

And since this is mostly a comic book forum -
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 386 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:13 am

Negativity.

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 167 posts
Title: Ain't enough space bitches

Postby Strict31 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:24 am

I hate ebola.

I hate the taste of scrambled eggs. There was a time when I tried to get past my hatred by eating scrambled eggs, and it just made me sick to my stomach.

I hate the way some videogame companies implement the microtransactional model in online gaming.

I hate walking with a broken ankle.

I have enough knowledge of all of these things to know that they do not inspire any positive feelings in me whatsoever. Increasing my level of knowledge on these topics has not made me like them any more.

But at the same time, I cannot demonstrably prove my hatred of these things. That is because hatred is a subjective reaction to stimuli and inputs. One cannot objectively measure a discrete volume of hatred. Hatred is a broad term used to describe a wide variety of reactions. Some people may hate a thing more or less than some other people do.

I think your premise is based upon prejudice. The idea that someone has determined a thing to be bad without direct experience of that thing. And that happens a great deal. But that psychological "mechanism" is a separate matter from hatred or dislike.

While a person who previously hated Justin Beiber may grow to like him if he hangs out with the guy for a few million years, no amount of familiarization with being rocket-punched in the dick by a shark-robot with deadly laser-action tiger-fists will ever engender positive acceptance.

And that's just science. You can't argue with science, man.

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."

Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

Psivage
FROGMAN

Liked in: 28 posts
Title: shake it baby, shake it good!
Formerly: Cat-Psivage

Postby Psivage » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:22 pm

I hate surprise butt secks. Its not funny when it happens to you.

both made by Cat-Scratch

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Asylum