Saturday, July 30, 2016 • Evening Edition • "Because comics!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

What is the definitive '90s haircut?

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Pink_Orchid

The Virgin Connie Swail

Postby Pink_Orchid » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:42 pm

Sawa, hmm, learn something new. I am also thinking the perm mullet for guys.

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:48 pm

I was not allowed to have hair past the top of my ear so I could never grow my hair that long. My dad was a control freak. I wasn't even allowed to have facial hair or side burns until I finally said "fuck you" and grew a goatee at 17.

After 1998, everyone ditched the undercut for an American crew cut.

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:56 pm

Ooooooh, I could see the undercut being the haircut in the context of the conversation now.

grayson wrote:Oddly enough, I actually had this discussion while I was at lunch today.

That IS odd. At least you were prepared, though.

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:58 pm

Keb wrote:I was not allowed to have hair past the top of my ear so I could never grow my hair that long. My dad was a control freak. I wasn't even allowed to have facial hair or side burns until I finally said "fuck you" and grew a goatee at 17.

After 1998, everyone ditched the undercut for an American crew cut.

Because it's a low-maintenance classic.

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:04 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
Because it's a low-maintenance classic.

It is? :?

I used a lot of hair gel and eventually ditched it after a while for long hair (to further drive my father insane).

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:56 am

Just as a follow up: through the invasive magic of the internets, I was able to find a picture of the actual haircut that was described to me in that conversation. For privacy reasons, I will not post that haircut here--but I will say this, you all were on the right track with the undercut stuff. And, Black_Orchid, it was indeed bleached blonde!

Nice work, everybody.

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:56 pm

Grayson wrote:Oddly enough, I actually had this discussion while I was at lunch today. I would argue that a little haircut that I like to refer to as the "Sawa" could be a serious contender for the Definitive 90's haircut.

Here we see the "Sawa" popping up on Boy Meets World star Will Friedle's head, apparently Mr. Feeny wasn't there for warn him against the "Sawa":

The "Sawa" also made an appearance on Jeremy London's head in Mallrats. Watch out Jeremy, Merle is watching you!

Hell, Leonardo Dicaprio even wore the "Sawa" while he was king of the world in Titanic:

Best post ever!

Regulator

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Regulator » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:29 am

Definitely the undercut.

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:43 am

So how many of you had "the undercut" in the '90s? :lol:

superfictious

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby superfictious » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:50 am

The fade with some S-curl for texture.

DMM

Rain Partier

Postby DMM » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:55 am

yeah, the undercut/sawa thing. Faded buzz cut on the sides and back to a long, moppy top, often parted in the middle. Often accompanied by a ball cap worn tipped up, so the hair on top was still partly showing.

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:57 am

I remember buying my first fitted hat in 1997. Powder blue NY Yankees hat. Everyone in hip hop was wearing NY hats.

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:02 am

Keb wrote:I remember buying my first fitted hat in 1997. Powder blue NY Yankees hat. Everyone in hip hop was wearing NY hats.

I had a green Diddy Kong hat I got for pre-ordering Donkey Kong Country II.

DMM

Rain Partier

Postby DMM » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:20 am

I had a Penn State flex fit hat with a white bill. The trick was getting the perfect curl on the bill. And we all wore them way back on our heads so the bill was behind the hair line on the forehead. I also had a White Sox hat in the very early 90s (maybe even late 80s), but a group of black kids at school stole it from me as I was walking to the bus. I tried to get it back, but they had passed it around and hid it, so I didn't know which kid had it.

LoganRSA

FROGMAN

Postby LoganRSA » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:52 am

I grew my hair long and usually pulled it back into a ponytail. 8)

leave a comment with facebook