Advertisement

What Was The last Film You Watched ?

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Shitlord

Re: What Was The last Film You Watched ?

Postby Punchy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:52 am

Victorian Squid wrote:
Yep, stuff like that. I was thinking of that one in particular. There's some things in the next movie too, like Breck. McDowell is great (again) as Caesar in Conquest. They had to cut a lot of violent scenes just to get a PG rating instead of an R, and all the other Apes films were G, I think.

The last bluray release they restored some but not all of the cut scenes.

Aren't the soundtracks amazing?

In the UK, all of the movies are rated 12 apart from Beneath, which is a 15.

And yeah, Jerry Goldsmith is great.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:57 am

I'm glad you appreciate them. For me, that time is like the golden age of American cinema. Not just Apes, but the way films were shot and scored, the way every character didn't have to be acted out by megastars crassly designed like wallpaper.

And of course the underground films and exploitation films from around the same time and before, I watch more of those these days than current Hollywood movies.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:00 am

Victorian Squid wrote:I'm glad you appreciate them. For me, that time is like the golden age of American cinema. Not just Apes, but the way films were shot and scored, the way every character didn't have to be acted out by megastars crassly designed like wallpaper.

You also wouldn't get mainstream blockbusters that were as weird as the Apes series, or ones that ended on such downers.

I also appreciated that Escape From went out of it's way to actually explain time-travel, most films that use that conceit just do random shit, which is fine, but that explanation with the paintings was brilliant.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:12 am

Yeah, nowadays there is very little of an attempt at hard science in sci fi, unlike that of films likes Apes and 2001, etc. Everything these days is like the magic glowing cave on LOST. Maybe you can think of more exceptions than me. I couldn't even focus on movies like Inception personally.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:20 am

Victorian Squid wrote:Yeah, nowadays there is very little of an attempt at hard science in sci fi, unlike that of films likes Apes and 2001, etc. Everything these days is like the magic glowing cave on LOST. Maybe you can think of more exceptions than me. I couldn't even focus on movies like Inception personally.

I thought Looper was pretty good in this aspect.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:31 am

I can't remember if I ever watched that after getting the Redbox copy all smeared with jasm. :lol:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:42 am

Victorian Squid wrote:I can't remember if I ever watched that after getting the Redbox copy all smeared with jasm. :lol:

It's great, one of my favourite movies of 2012.

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 36 posts

Postby LobsterJ » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:49 am

Just watched 'Stoker' definitely recommended. Very atmospheric, kind of a slow-boil type situation.

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 136 posts
Title: HRUNK!
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:08 am

Watched the movie version of Webber's Phantom of the Opera.

Not good. Glad I was doing something else while it was on so it wasn't a total waste of time.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 514 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power

Postby outsider » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:15 am

Log-Man wrote:Watched the movie version of Webber's Phantom of the Opera.

Not good. Glad I was doing something else while it was on so it wasn't a total waste of time.
I saw that years ago and pretty much hated it. Phantom is one of those theatrical productions that probably can't be translated to film because so many interesting things are done with the staging and motion (I still love the way they handle the descent from the Opera House to the Phantom's Lair 8) ).

I still haven't seen the film version of Les Mis, but it sounds like it may be another Chicago (i.e. a good translation). It still kills me that RENT was so badly butchered.
-

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:31 pm

Got some more Tom Baker Doctor Who DVDs in the mail and bought Same Guys, Different Dresses, a documentary by cast member Dave Foley about the Kids In The Hall Reunion tour about 10 years ago.

I love documentaries and Kids In The Hall, so I can't wait to watch it, putting it in now.

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 136 posts
Title: HRUNK!
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:09 pm

outsider wrote:I saw that years ago and pretty much hated it. Phantom is one of those theatrical productions that probably can't be translated to film because so many interesting things are done with the staging and motion (I still love the way they handle the descent from the Opera House to the Phantom's Lair 8) ).

I still haven't seen the film version of Les Mis, but it sounds like it may be another Chicago (i.e. a good translation). It still kills me that RENT was so badly butchered.

I still haven't seen Les Mis yet, but I need to. RENT was just ok to me. Could have been much better, but could have been a whole lot worse, too.

I look forward to a movie version of Jersey Boys, if it ever happens.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:14 pm

Scott Thompson is earnestly trying to talk Dave Foley about of LASIK eye surgery, and I feel too profoundly moved by this for some reason. :|

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 514 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power

Postby outsider » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:39 pm

Log-Man wrote:
I still haven't seen Les Mis yet, but I need to.
Same here. I know it's a sad, tragic story and I just can't bring myself to intentionally get low, lol.

Log-Man wrote:RENT was just ok to me. Could have been much better, but could have been a whole lot worse, too.
Starting the movie with "Seasons of Love" was a horrible decision that left the rest of the movie in a downhill position. They also made such stupid revisions that changed up the story and the lyrics. Rosario Dawson was great as Mimi, but it sounds so stupid when she sings about 'New Year's Day' in "Out Tonight". I figured RENT would be the most film-able Broadway musical, but maybe not.
-

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:56 pm

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum