Advertisement

What Was The last Film You Watched ?

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Glacier16
Post Whore

Liked in: 58 posts
Title: kung-fu treachery

Re: What Was The last Film You Watched ?

Postby Glacier16 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:35 am

Man of Tai Chi

Advertisement

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 168 posts
Title: Ain't enough space bitches

Postby Strict31 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:34 am

Bond Hengbu wrote:The machine costs have to go down just like with mobile phones. It should be dirt cheap, you don't have train a doctor. Also why cannnot thy be assembled on Earth?

Because of physics. Because of mass and gravity. Because of the cost in physical energy to move a large mass from the surface to orbit. Because of the physical energy required to accelerate that mass to escape velocity. You see, when you lift anything into orbit from the surface, you also have to carry every single bit of reaction mass (fuel) along with you. Which means, not only are you lifting however many tons of cargo, but you're also lifting however many tons of fuel required to lift your transport vehicle PLUS the cargo.

Which is why we don't launch things into space every five minutes.

This is also why, IRL, the International Space Station was carried up into orbit piece by piece and assembled in space.

There are two major ways to reduce costs in this area: invent a super-light, super-efficient magical fuel source; perhaps something that can be created from rainbows or unicorn blood.

Or, build an orbital manufacturing facility; a place outside of the Earth's gravity well, where you do not need to overcome gravity. This way, you'd bypass the fuel costs altogether. Space is a micro-gravity, micro-pressure environment (it's popular to say "zero-gravity" but there is no such thing in real life) which means you could build a device that weighs several hundred tons in space and literally push it towards its destination. Sure, you'd have to push it with some considerable force, but it wouldn't have to worry about overcoming the Earth's gravity and it wouldn't have to worry about overcoming friction o any other forces. It would just keep going forever unless acted upon by some other force.

So, the physical costs are really quite unlike the machine costs of a mobile phone.

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."

Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 168 posts
Title: Ain't enough space bitches

Postby Strict31 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:49 am

I finally had a chance to watch Daywatch last night. Directed by the guy who directed Wanted, this was the sequel to the movie based on the Russian fantasy novel Nightwatch.

I had previously seen the Nightwatch movie years ago on a whim, and was interested enough to pick up the first book. I got into the whole series of books immediately after, and I remember being excited to hear they had made a Daywatch movie. But I heard bad things about it; how radically it departed from the source material (so did the first movie, btw). So, I forgot about it for years until I just stumbled upon it last night on Xbox Live. Cheap rental fee, so I said, fuck it.

As it turns out, the second movie isn't really an adaptation of the second book. It's more of a continued adaptation of the first book. And even then, it still diverges significantly from the written story.

Eh. The Nightwatch book series is really a fun read, and it's kinda cool to see the urban fantasy genre from a completely foreign point of view. Even interesting to see their take on the existence of Communism and how it came to exist. The movies provided a gateway to the books, and that was their primary value.

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."

Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1480 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:32 am

8)
ImageImageImage

Bond Hengbu
cheese

Liked in: 86 posts

Postby Bond Hengbu » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:23 am

I meant the healing beds can be assembled and sold on Earth.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:54 am

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:05 am

American Hustle. What an awesome movie.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:34 pm

At Worlds End

And it is the BEST of their movies, though Shawn comes close, this one gave Simon Pegg a helluva lot to work with. Great acting chops on this guy!

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Glacier16
Post Whore

Liked in: 58 posts
Title: kung-fu treachery

Postby Glacier16 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:08 pm

Grayson wrote:Image

8)

This. Not bad but they tend to over do it somewhat and thereby making it unfunny. Favorite line is now "Veronica got quite tan!" or however he said that. :lol:

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 554 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:52 pm

Vic Vega wrote:
It was O.K., nothing really to throw a party over. The last interesting movie I was Lovelace,
which was better than I expected it to be.

That's the first time I've seen Amanda Seyfred in anything. She surprised me. I was expecting
something about on the level of a Lifetime movie, but she really sells it.

I just watched "Gone". Fairly decent thriller although the ending seemed a bit too easily tied up.

Last edited by IvCNuB4 on Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 440 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:28 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:

I just finished watching it. Yeah .. that's .. I don't know how to describe it other than slow, creepy, not something I would watch with my mother. :lol:

My mom watched this...

(or at least she tried as it's showing up in her recently watched list on Netflix)

City of God - I love this movie. One of my favourite gangster/crime movies ever.

A Good Old-Fashioned Orgy - It's kind of boring after a while. Nash Bridges is the dad.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 440 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:41 am

Scary Movie 2 - Forgot how awesome this movie was! Wish they would get the Wayans back on the Scary Movie franchise. David Cross and Chris Elliot were awesome bickering back and forth and I totally forgot about the James Woods and Andy Richter Exorcist spoof.

Attack the Block - This movie was surprisingly awesome!

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:28 am

syxxpakk wrote:American Hustle. What an awesome movie.

I want to see this movie way more than I do The Hobbit.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Pizza Dog
dINGO

Liked in: 540 posts
Title: Awesomesauce
Formerly: Coach_Carebear

Postby Pizza Dog » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:18 pm

Ghostbusters. I enjoyed it.

About to watch Ghostbusters II now 8)
:-D Disneyland Paris in 7-Days!! :-D

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 119 posts

Postby LobsterJ » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:47 pm

Elysium. Pretty weak, way too many nonsensical plotholes and unexplained stuff in it.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum