Advertisement

What Was The last Film You Watched ?

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1237 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: What Was The last Film You Watched ?

Postby Grayson » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:52 pm

alaska1125 wrote:I love Gravity! I have friends that absolutely hate it, however. Which I'll obviously never understand.

I thought Gravity was a very visually stunning film and that both Sandra Bullock and George Clooney did well in their roles but I can't really wrap my head around all of the awards buzz that it has received. Honestly, if I were to rate all 9 of the Oscar Nominees for Best Picture, I would put Gravity at the bottom in the number 9 spot. It was a really good movie but there were far better pictures released this year. Then again, that's just my personal opinion.

Bond Hengbu wrote:John Stossel fan?

Not really sure what that has to do with anything... :smt017
ImageImageImage

Advertisement

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 150 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:24 pm

Grayson wrote:
I thought Gravity was a very visually stunning film and that both Sandra Bullock and George Clooney did well in their roles but I can't really wrap my head around all of the awards buzz that it has received. Honestly, if I were to rate all 9 of the Oscar Nominees for Best Picture, I would put Gravity at the bottom in the number 9 spot. It was a really good movie but there were far better pictures released this year. Then again, that's just my personal opinion.

Oh, I agree...especially in a year that had such a wealth of good films. My reasons for it being a personal favorite? It managed to engage me from beginning to end, told all the story I needed, was visually fantastic (expect it to clean up in those categories), and got it done in about 90 minutes. That's pretty solid storytelling to me. Yeah, out of the nine nominated (I've seen all of them), it's probably toward the bottom. But it doesn't mean it wasn't great.

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 168 posts
Title: Ain't enough space bitches

Postby Strict31 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:50 pm

Grayson wrote:

It was visually stunning, but we live in an era where visually stunning special effects are quite common in sci-fi movies. Are these effects more visually stunning than, say, Avengers? Or even Man of Steel, for that matter?

I don't think so. I think the beauty was in how the effects were used. "Visually stunning" is a phrase used so much that it loses its impact. But if you can create an effect that makes a member of the audience remember why they're afraid of extreme heights, well, then you're cooking with gas. If you can create an effect, no matter how simple or understated that confers a sense of crushing isolation or claustrophobia, then that's a worthy accomplishment.

I don't think we're really impressed with these vast panoramic views of the Earth or kick-ass space-station explosions. Not anymore.

But seeing Sandra Bullock strapped to the end of that space shuttle arm made me recall the same flutter in my gut the first time I saw actual video footage of actual astronauts strapped to the same actual contraption, a hundred miles above the actual Earth. Or that scene immediately after she is torn loose from the shuttle, when the camera pans around from her face to the inside of her helmet. When we literally see out of her eyes in a fairly seamless transition. That isolation felt tangible. Or even the next scene where she's just spinning deeper and deeper into darkness, with nothing but the suit lights to illuminate the scene. It made the stark reality of space...real.

These weren't visually spectacular effects. But they were among the most evocative effects in the movie. They don't require any flash or glitz to work. They don't even need Clooney's dialogue ham-fistedly reminding the audience why the view of the earth is beautiful.

And then, there are the effects that reveal character. Like when she grabs the fire extinguisher and uses it to attack the fire in the ISS without first thinking to brace herself. She's a total rookie in space, and despite having already gone through some harrowing experiences that would make the most steely-eyed missile-man shudder, she still makes rookie mistakes.

It's not unusual anymore to find great, flashy effects in a sci-fi movie these days. But all they're really good for usually is titillation. Cuaron is great at using very subtle special effects to help him reveal the story and the character and the mood, however. That's something that probably won't be recognized, though, because the eye tends to miss them, even if the brain does not.

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."

Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

alaska1125
dINGO

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:15 pm

Strict31 wrote:
It was visually stunning, but we live in an era where visually stunning special effects are quite common in sci-fi movies. Are these effects more visually stunning than, say, Avengers? Or even Man of Steel, for that matter?

I don't think so. I think the beauty was in how the effects were used. "Visually stunning" is a phrase used so much that it loses its impact. But if you can create an effect that makes a member of the audience remember why they're afraid of extreme heights, well, then you're cooking with gas. If you can create an effect, no matter how simple or understated that confers a sense of crushing isolation or claustrophobia, then that's a worthy accomplishment.

I don't think we're really impressed with these vast panoramic views of the Earth or kick-ass space-station explosions. Not anymore.

But seeing Sandra Bullock strapped to the end of that space shuttle arm made me recall the same flutter in my gut the first time I saw actual video footage of actual astronauts strapped to the same actual contraption, a hundred miles above the actual Earth. Or that scene immediately after she is torn loose from the shuttle, when the camera pans around from her face to the inside of her helmet. When we literally see out of her eyes in a fairly seamless transition. That isolation felt tangible. Or even the next scene where she's just spinning deeper and deeper into darkness, with nothing but the suit lights to illuminate the scene. It made the stark reality of space...real.

These weren't visually spectacular effects. But they were among the most evocative effects in the movie. They don't require any flash or glitz to work. They don't even need Clooney's dialogue ham-fistedly reminding the audience why the view of the earth is beautiful.

And then, there are the effects that reveal character. Like when she grabs the fire extinguisher and uses it to attack the fire in the ISS without first thinking to brace herself. She's a total rookie in space, and despite having already gone through some harrowing experiences that would make the most steely-eyed missile-man shudder, she still makes rookie mistakes.

It's not unusual anymore to find great, flashy effects in a sci-fi movie these days. But all they're really good for usually is titillation. Cuaron is great at using very subtle special effects to help him reveal the story and the character and the mood, however. That's something that probably won't be recognized, though, because the eye tends to miss them, even if the brain does not.

So well said. I absolutely agree.

BeyondDead
Whippersnapper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Illustrator

Postby BeyondDead » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:38 pm

Fun size via Netflix

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 226 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:48 am

Watched Thor the dark age, it was okay.
Watched runner, runner, who the fuck casts Ben Affleck as guy named Ivan?

alaska1125
dINGO

Postby alaska1125 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:09 am

thefourthman wrote:Watched Thor the dark age, it was okay.
Watched runner, runner, who the fuck casts Ben Affleck as guy named Ivan?

Is it as bad as I've heard?
Edit: Runner Runner

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:43 am

alaska1125 wrote:Is it as bad as I've heard?
Edit: Runner Runner

It was just uninteresting. It's on par with Killing Them Softly. There is nothing inherently wrong with it, but it's still a bad movie.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 95 posts

Postby LobsterJ » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:41 pm

The Place Beyond the Pines. Man, that was long and pointless. The trailer made it look good, but I guess that is the point of the trailer.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:15 pm

LobsterJ wrote:The Place Beyond the Pines. Man, that was long and pointless. The trailer made it look good, but I guess that is the point of the trailer.

I liked it. It was a nice blend of artsy and crime. The last act was telegraphed, but other than that, I enjoyed it.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 118 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:40 pm

Blue Jasmie
The Monuments Men

oogy
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 151 posts
Formerly: oogyboy, Elwood P Dowd, OH USER #535

Postby oogy » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:43 pm

I watched Troll Hunter last weekend. It really was "pretty damn spectacular."

Stephen Colbert wrote:Everybody knows I don't see race. People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I get pretty good service at the Cracker Barrel.

Ron Swanson wrote:You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

GiveWarAChance
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 1278 posts
Title: Unliving Legend
Formerly: GivePeaceAChance

Postby GiveWarAChance » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:15 pm

Left Bank - Compared to Rosemary's Baby and Let the Right One In. Uhm, no.

Winters Bone - Pretty good.

Collision - I probably shouldn't have liked it as much as I did.

Cernunnos
Swedish Pinata of Death

Liked in: 4 posts

Postby Cernunnos » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:45 pm

Jackass Presents:Bad Grandpa and The Raid:Redemption
When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.

Lord Ice
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 154 posts
Title: Deviant by design

Postby Lord Ice » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:27 pm

Let's Scare Jessica to Death- Because death might give her a personality. :smt005

The Shadow Returns- And this time, he brings Margo Lane along. :smt026

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum