Tuesday, May 31, 2016 • Midnight Edition • "Your boob-window into the world of comics."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!


What Was The last Film You Watched ?

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

EvilOne

Rorshach Test Subject

Postby EvilOne » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:18 am

Arctic Tale - Disappointing documentary. The story is made-up and not very exciting. Plus, lots of the footage is of very poor quality.
User avatar

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:10 pm

Strict31 wrote:
I'm not really talking about the stylistic concerns; I mean, they also didn't speak English with a British accent, and Artemesia was in no way a white woman.

I'm really talking about the decision to transform one of the rare heroic warrior women of history into a villain. She was strong enough to command marines. Smart enough to be victorious. And she was a queen in her own land. It's like the writers couldn't figure out a way to portray a genuinely powerful woman without making her a bad guy.

Yes, they took a ton of liberties with the history to tell an action tale. This particular liberty, however, was just another stereotype about strong females being the "enemy."


It's not a huge shock though. The whole thrust of both movies has been, Greek good, Persian bad. Neither film was particularly guilty of having complex writing. Artemesia fought on the Persian side and given that narrow focus of, this side good, this side bad, it's no surprise that she was a stereotype. There weren't many characters who weren't in one way or another.
User avatar

EvilOne

Rorshach Test Subject

Postby EvilOne » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:09 pm

To the Arctic

Very short film but lots of beautiful photography.
User avatar

Strict31

Rain Partier

Postby Strict31 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:37 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
It's not a huge shock though. The whole thrust of both movies has been, Greek good, Persian bad. Neither film was particularly guilty of having complex writing. Artemesia fought on the Persian side and given that narrow focus of, this side good, this side bad, it's no surprise that she was a stereotype. There weren't many characters who weren't in one way or another.


Well, not so much "Greek=good", because the first movie went well out of their way to make any non-Spartan Greek look like a pussy or a "boy-lover." It was Frank Miller's love letter to Sparta

And the hero of this movie is one of those self-same "boy-loving" Athenians. They're kinda all over the place with this franchise.
User avatar

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:14 pm

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

wuz gud
User avatar

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:32 pm

Strict31 wrote:
Well, not so much "Greek=good", because the first movie went well out of their way to make any non-Spartan Greek look like a pussy or a "boy-lover." It was Frank Miller's love letter to Sparta

And the hero of this movie is one of those self-same "boy-loving" Athenians. They're kinda all over the place with this franchise.


Fair enough, but the point that both movies are basically, this side good, that side bad, still stands. There really aren't any characters that aren't stereotypes. Both films use stimulating visuals and dialogue that's fun to listen to in an effort to disguise this, but in the end, none of the characters are all that complex.
User avatar

GiveWarAChance

Fagorstorm

Postby GiveWarAChance » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:53 am

Nurse 3d - Pretty much a by the numbers horror film. It starts off as a nurse who kills cheating husbands and turns into Single White Female pretty damn fast.
User avatar

carkey

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby carkey » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:37 pm

GiveWarAChance wrote:Nurse 3d - Pretty much a by the numbers horror film. It starts off as a nurse who kills cheating husbands and turns into Single White Female pretty damn fast.


Thanks for wrecking it for me :-P

Still going to check it out :)
User avatar

GiveWarAChance

Fagorstorm

Postby GiveWarAChance » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:07 pm

carkey wrote:
Thanks for wrecking it for me :-P

It's what I do best.
User avatar

Strict31

Rain Partier

Postby Strict31 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:35 pm

Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug

I liked it better than Unexpected Journey, and I ended up liking Evangeline Lily's character in the film. But she still felt shoe-horned. And there was a lot that felt shoe-horned. By now, none of the additional material is any surprise to people who have read about this shit since these movies were first announced. But it's really getting ham-fisted in some instances.

But like I said, I enjoyed it more than the first one, and I'm kinda looking forward to the battle of five armies.
User avatar

Cernunnos

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Cernunnos » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:24 pm

Strict31 wrote:Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug

I liked it better than Unexpected Journey, and I ended up liking Evangeline Lily's character in the film. But she still felt shoe-horned. And there was a lot that felt shoe-horned. By now, none of the additional material is any surprise to people who have read about this shit since these movies were first announced. But it's really getting ham-fisted in some instances.

But like I said, I enjoyed it more than the first one, and I'm kinda looking forward to the battle of five armies.


I watched it last night. There was some fat that could have been trimmed, but I liked it.
User avatar

MistaT

penile prisoner

Postby MistaT » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:48 pm

Image

I went in to this with the mindset that it wasn't going to be very good so that I wouldn't be that disappointed in it, but that still didn't work. It was pretty fuckin horrible. :lol:

Which is too bad, because I really like Keanu Reeves. I think he catches a lot more shit than he deserves as an actor. He takes a lot of chances, and some of them don't pay off but I don't think he is as bad of an actor as most people claim he is.
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:24 pm

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
User avatar

Nightfly

Staff Writer

Postby Nightfly » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:27 am

Was in the mood to be scared the other night so I watched Dark Skies (starring Keri Russell) and The Conjuring back to back. I didn't find either very scary or noteworthy but if I had to pick a favorite I guess it would be Dark Skies.

Some horror movies that did actually creep me out (a bit) recently were Mama (starring Jessica Chastain) and The Possession (starring Jeffrey Dean Morgan & Kyra Sedgwick).
User avatar

EvilOne

Rorshach Test Subject

Postby EvilOne » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:59 pm

Image Image

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] and 88 guests