Tuesday, December 12, 2017 • Evening Edition • "Assholes welcome."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

What Was The last Film You Watched ?

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Jesse

cheese

Postby Jesse » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:35 am

Beware! The Blob (1972)

This low budget sequel is easily the worst of the blob films but also the most humorous some of which was probably unintentional. There's some bad acting but a couple fun cameos like Burgess Meredith and Dick Van Patten. The special effects are laughable by today's standards but there are still some cool looking blob scenes. If you've seen the Steve McQueen original or the 80s remake then you probably don't need to watch this but it was still some fun schlock.

Glaeken

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Glaeken » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:07 pm

Jesse wrote: Beware! The Blob (1972)

This low budget sequel is easily the worst of the blob films but also the most humorous some of which was probably unintentional. There's some bad acting but a couple fun cameos like Burgess Meredith and Dick Van Patten. The special effects are laughable by today's standards but there are still some cool looking blob scenes. If you've seen the Steve McQueen original or the 80s remake then you probably don't need to watch this but it was still some fun schlock.

That poor kitty.

GiveWarAChance

Hopscotch

Postby GiveWarAChance » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:44 pm

Trip with the Teacher - Who wouldn't want to go on a nice trip with their teacher during summer school? All is good until their bus breaks down and a couple of bikers begin to terrorize them. Only slightly sleazy and rapey.

Jesse

cheese

Postby Jesse » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:33 pm

Starring Adam West (2013)

It was kind of bittersweet watching this documentary posthumously but it's an interesting look at the highs and lows of his career as well as a wonderful love letter to his fans.

Jesse

cheese

Postby Jesse » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:37 pm

Invasion of the Saucer-Men (1957)

The best thing about this movie is the campy special effects including a flying UFO, a reanimated severed alien hand and of course menacing little green aliens with bulbous heads, bulging eyes and claws. I really like the design of the aliens despite how ridiculous they look and most of their scenes are pretty fun. I thought the humor throughout for the most part worked well. There's also a notable appearance from actor Frank Gorshin.

Jesse

cheese

Postby Jesse » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:11 am

The Red House (1947)

A great use of suspense with an intriguing mystery and a climactic ending. Edward G. Robinson gives a solid performance as his character gradually gets creepier throughout the film especially after the reveal.

Jesse

cheese

Postby Jesse » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:13 am

Hidden Figures (2016)

GiveWarAChance

Hopscotch

Postby GiveWarAChance » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:41 pm

Out of Control - Things really get out of control with a game of strip spin the bottle. :shock:

Jesse

cheese

Postby Jesse » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:31 am

A Night at the Opera (1935)

Better story structure than some of their other films but their same chaotic brand of comedy that stands the test of time. I love the sequence where Groucho checks into his cabin it leads up to one of the funniest scenes ever.

Jesse

cheese

Postby Jesse » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:37 am

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

Few comedies have casting as good as this the cameos alone are tremendous. Brilliant that it was almost entirely improvised but is still so incredibly funny and very quotable.

GiveWarAChance

Hopscotch

Postby GiveWarAChance » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:32 am

2019: After the Fall of New York - The search for the last fertile woman on earth begins. The mission can't fail with a dwarf named Shorty, a cyborg, a dude with a hook for an arm, and Big Ape there to assist.

GiveWarAChance

Hopscotch

Postby GiveWarAChance » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:46 am

The Devil's Candy - :band

Jesse

cheese

Postby Jesse » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:44 pm

The Ring (2002)

I generally avoid American remakes of J-horror films and I haven't watched this one before but have been meaning to see it back-to-back with the original for some time and I'm glad I finally got around to doing so. For some reason I didn't think this was as creepy as the original but I felt it was a pretty faithful adaptation with slightly more exposition and a few minor differences. The special effects hold up relatively well and overall it was entertaining. While I wouldn't recommend it over the original I do think it makes for an interesting companion piece.

Ringu (1998)

Just as scary today as it ever was and I rank it in my top 10 favorite J-horror films. The chilling mood and atmosphere work incredibly well throughout.

Directly comparing both movies the special effects in the remake are mostly superior which is to be expected as it's not only the second attempt but also had the bigger budget. Although the practical special effects in the original look infinitely better during the final well scene than the CGI used in the remake. Both films had some decent casting with Naomi Watts doing pretty well as the lead in the remake and Hiroyuki Sanada in the supporting role in the original. I did have a harder time rooting for the main characters in the remake for whatever reason. The stories play out a little differently with some characters in the original having psychic abilities which is an element completely missing from the remake. I feel that adds another level of supernatural to the story where the remake used mental illness and abuse grounding it more in reality.

Jesse

cheese

Postby Jesse » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:54 pm

The Sword and the Sorcerer (1982)

Low budget fantasy b-movie that at times feels bland and generic by modern standards. There's a little bad acting but also a few exciting action scenes, lots of swashbuckling and a bit of fan service. The practical special effects makeups were very well crafted and for me were the highlight of the film. A warlord resurrects a demon to help him overthrow his rival kingdom then betrays and kills the demon who vows revenge. Years later the rightful heirs to the kingdom now grown are captured attempting to start a rebellion which leads to an epic rescue sequence and battle as well as a final confrontation with the demon.

Jesse

cheese

Postby Jesse » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:10 pm

Asylum (1972)

Horror anthology where the inmates at a mental asylum each tell a story. Probably most notable for its script by Robert Bloch and being one of a handful of anthologies produced by Amicus during the time. It's a bit of cheesy fun that starts off slow but I think gets a little better as it goes along. The first story involves a murderous husband who is haunted by the severed body parts of his dead wife. In the second story Peter Cushing plays an occultist who hires a tailor to make a suit that will help resurrect his dead son. The third story is about a woman whose split personality kills people and features the lovely Britt Ekland. In the final story a man is able to project his consciousness into a miniature doll. The film ends with a twist that people may not see coming.

Horror anthology where the inmates at a mental asylum each tell a story. Probably most notable for its script by Robert Bloch and being one of a handful of anthologies produced by Amicus during the time. It's a bit of cheesy fun that starts off slow but I think gets a little better as it goes along. The first story involves a murderous husband who is haunted by the severed body parts of his dead wife. In the second story Peter Cushing plays an occultist who hires a tailor to make a suit that will help resurrect his dead son. The third story is about a woman whose split personality kills people and features the lovely Britt Ekland. In the final story a man is able to project his consciousness into a miniature doll. The film ends with a twist that people may not see coming.

Some other anthology films produced by Amicus that are worth checking out:

Torture Garden(1967) also scripted by Robet Bloch
Tales from the Crypt (1972)
The House That Dripped Blood (1971) also scripted by Robert Bloch
The Vault of Horror (1973)

leave a comment with facebook