Advertisement

What Was The Last TV Show You Watched?

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 339 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: What Was The Last TV Show You Watched?

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:26 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:I watched season one of Revolution and now am watching Starlost, a 1973 sci fi series created by Harlan Ellison. It's available on youtube for frees.

Ah, The Starlost, I remember watching that show every Saturday afternoon as a kid.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:52 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
Ah, The Starlost, I remember watching that show every Saturday afternoon as a kid.

Best on-ship computer ever.

Watching Star Maidens:

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:24 pm

Sweeney, a 1970s British cop show. Good stuff, all free on youtube.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:46 am

I'm watching Cheers for the first time since it ended. Here are my thoughts:

1) The Rebecca years are as good as the Diane years.

2) Woody is even stupider than I remember.

3) Fraser is different in Cheers than in his own series. He's less snobby but more erudite in Cheers than in Fraser.

4) The writing is remarkably good, episode after episode. And the show often tackles big issues in really clever ways. The Bar War episodes, featuring the rivalry with Gary's Old Time Tavern, are really about the Cold War and the arms race. The third Bar War episode, for example, is a hilarious version of Fail-Safe.

5) The show holds up in part because there are almost no topical or pop cultural references. Cheers focuses on the battle of the sexes, the clash between rich and poor, and tensions between educated and working-class people. In other words, its comedy is focused on universal conflicts, not on time-specific references.

6) The shows theme is, surprisingly, depressing: Everybody loses, always. Sam loses Diane, Rebecca, and the bar. Fraser loses Diane and Lilith. Norm loses job after job. Cliff is just a loser momma's boy, who couldn't get into the army and became a postman instead. Carla is cheated on by most of her husbands; the only one who's faithful to her dies. Diane is desperate to become a great writer but is always getting her material rejected. Rebecca is desperate to marry rich but ends up marrying a plumber. Robin Colcord loses his fortune, power, and reputation. The only one who wins out is the humble hick, Woody, who marries a rich blonde. But he's so numbingly naive that he doesn't fully appreciate his success.

7) The dialogue is incredibly sharp and often aphoristic.

Overall, I am stunned by how many truly great episodes were produced.

Lord Ice
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 90 posts

Postby Lord Ice » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:29 am

Eli Katz wrote:I'm watching Cheers for the first time since it ended. Here are my thoughts:

1) The Rebecca years are as good as the Diane years.

2) Woody is even stupider than I remember.

3) Fraser is different in Cheers than in his own series. He's less snobby but more erudite in Cheers than in Fraser.

4) The writing is remarkably good, episode after episode. And the show often tackles big issues in really clever ways. The Bar War episodes, featuring the rivalry with Gary's Old Time Tavern, are really about the Cold War and the arms race. The third Bar War episode, for example, is a hilarious version of Fail-Safe.

5) The show holds up in part because there are almost no topical or pop cultural references. Cheers focuses on the battle of the sexes, the clash between rich and poor, and tensions between educated and working-class people. In other words, its comedy is focused on universal conflicts, not on time-specific references.

6) The shows theme is, surprisingly, depressing: Everybody loses, always. Sam loses Diane, Rebecca, and the bar. Fraser loses Diane and Lilith. Norm loses job after job. Cliff is just a loser momma's boy, who couldn't get into the army and became a postman instead. Carla is cheated on by most of her husbands; the only one who's faithful to her dies. Diane is desperate to become a great writer but is always getting her material rejected. Rebecca is desperate to marry rich but ends up marrying a plumber. Robin Colcord loses his fortune, power, and reputation. The only one who wins out is the humble hick, Woody, who marries a rich blonde. But he's so numbingly naive that he doesn't fully appreciate his success.

7) The dialogue is incredibly sharp and often aphoristic.

Overall, I am stunned by how many truly great episodes were produced.

Even the theme song can be depressing, especially if one hears the full song.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 291 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:31 am

Cheers was an exceptional show for all the reasons you mentioned (but still some thoughts)...

Frasier really is a different character between the two shows isn't he? I harken back to the Last Will and Testament episode where a surprise ending shows an aged Lilith and Freddie in a lawyers office with the lawyer reading the will (which is actually Sam's sperm count report). Lilith exasperates "That damn bar". No way does that perfectly executed scene take place with the "Frasier" Frasier.

Carla was always the weakest character I thought. Never cared for her constant zingers.

When it comes to loss, you missed the biggest one of all... Coach.

Why no mention of one of my favorites characters on the show (Paul) :lol:

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:02 am

Amoebas wrote:Cheers was an exceptional show for all the reasons you mentioned (but still some thoughts)...

Frasier really is a different character between the two shows isn't he? I harken back to the Last Will and Testament episode where a surprise ending shows an aged Lilith and Freddie in a lawyers office with the lawyer reading the will (which is actually Sam's sperm count report). Lilith exasperates "That damn bar". No way does that perfectly executed scene take place with the "Frasier" Frasier.

Carla was always the weakest character I thought. Never cared for her constant zingers.

When it comes to loss, you missed the biggest one of all... Coach.

Why no mention of one of my favorites characters on the show (Paul) :lol:

Yeah, I should have mentioned Coach.

There are so many great secondary characters on the show. Harry "The Hat" Anderson. The episode featuring his multiple, and ultimately good-hearted, cons is amazingly clever.

Paul's really great and deserves mention. Al's great. Even Tom, the failed lawyer, is great.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:43 pm

I don't think I'd watch Cheers again, but maybe you've explained why I always found it depressing.

Watching The Flash...maybe...that suit looks ridiculous, Jacoby Bump and all. It might be as bad as I remember.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:02 pm

Metal Hurlant Chronicles:

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The Asylum