Advertisement

What would you do with these cards of condolences?

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: What would you do with these cards of condolences?

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:15 pm

misac wrote:Leave them in their mailbox if you don't want to throw them out.

Whose? The house where the estate auction was held is probably sold by now. I'm pretty sure the new owners might shit a brick if they found those there. Who you gonna call?

(Ghostbusters.)

Advertisement

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 435 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:16 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
These were fairly notable people as far as people go. He developed missiles for Rockwell at one point.

Here is some bio from the obituary:

Interestingly, there were no funeral services, presumably because the deceased was a die-hard Atheist and wouldn't have wanted them. (I gather this from Google and the books I bought there.)

I'd have a hard time throwing them away in that case. I know the two local museums in my area collect stuff like that, if only to archive.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:17 pm

Would a dead Atheist haunt someone? Or would they just keep quiet to try and prove their point?
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Muppetesque
Cunning Linguist

Liked in: 1 post
Title: ^ My Beaver with a cock
Formerly: nerdygirl

Postby Muppetesque » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:21 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Would an Atheist haunt someone? Or would they just keep quiet to try and prove their point?

Most Outhousers would keep quiet...
eyp wrote:you should start following nerdygirl's advice.

CountD wrote:you were prettier in person, too.

Epidemic_Spider wrote:So you admit I'm more fun than Nieto :groucho:
GOSD wrote:I admit nothing!Yes.

Strict31 wrote:Huh. Nerdygirl's got some booty on her. Kind of a surprise there, Emma.

Benderbrau
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Proud Underachiever

Postby Benderbrau » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:24 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
Would you want a stack of cards to your dead father from his old friends and family in response to learning of your mother's difficult passing from a painful illness over 15 years ago?

This isn't snarky, I'm just asking. Anyone, really.

No but I don't think I'd sell them at auction either. It seems to me that if they didn't want them they'd just throw them out. Were they actually advertised as part of the auction? "And our next item up for bid is this lovely collection of books and 86 morbid Hallmark cards..."
"Dude, I bow down to you, you are the worlds greatest ballbuster." -Jude Terror
"Sorry, nate! I think you automatically lose all arguments from now on, simply due to the fact that the only person willing to back you up is batshit insane!" - Dragavon
"Everything I know I learned from reading your posts." - Nietoperz

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 105 posts

Postby misac » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:34 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
Whose? The house where the estate auction was held is probably sold by now. I'm pretty sure the new owners might shit a brick if they found those there. Who you gonna call?

(Ghostbusters.)

Oh yeah. :oops: That's why I don't give advice.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:41 pm

Benderbrau wrote:No but I don't think I'd sell them at auction either. It seems to me that if they didn't want them they'd just throw them out. Were they actually advertised as part of the auction? "And our next item up for bid is this lovely collection of books and 86 morbid Hallmark cards..."

Misc. stuff gets sold in "box lots", they are generally unsorted and anything can be in there. In this box there were also newspaper clipping and some of her commercial art, books, other correspondence....oh crap, I just found her last will and testament. Fantastic.

If you've never been to an estate auction it might seem weird to you but many heirs want little or nothing of their parents' correspondence or physical belongings, although I do know they had the opportunity to go through and take anything they wanted and did take some stuff. Sometimes boxes of random correspondence and.or photos actually sell for what are pretty high prices.

If I were a real vulture, I'd rip open each envelope hoping to find the magic money stash.
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:16 pm

Maybe you can just stash them in a drawer or something for a while and see if the client swings by to see if you have them. If they don't, after a while you'll probably just forget about them anyway.
The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:59 pm

Royal Nonesuch wrote:Maybe you can just stash them in a drawer or something for a while and see if the client swings by to see if you have them. If they don't, after a while you'll probably just forget about them anyway.

Not gonna happen, the heirs live in other states and there were hundreds of people buying things at auction. The only record would be "Box Lot/papers $2". Not exactly a paper trail even if anyone cared, and I know it seems counter-intuitive to some of you reading this but no one does care in these cases. Also if you knew how much crap a used book dealer accumulates, Royal, you'd understand why drawers full of death notes are sort of where you cross the line into hoarding. :lol:

Kolimar
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Bear-hugger
Formerly: Kolimar

Postby Kolimar » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:54 pm

Simple: I'd throw them away.
"Hey, maybe I'll get lucky. Maybe one o' those terrorists'll blow Bats away.
Nah, never happen.
Ah, well.. I can dream, can't I...?"- Guy Gardner.

"It is often forgotten that (dictionaries) are artificial repositories, put together well after the languages they define. The roots of language are irrational and of a magical nature." - Jorge Luis Borges, Prologue to "El otro, el mismo."

"Corruptus In Extremis"

"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library." Jorge Luis Borges

"Omne animal triste est post coitum"

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:06 pm

Kolimar wrote:Simple: I'd throw them away.

After a few beers I've decided to frame the pictures of her on the cruise ship and pretend I have a nice, rich grandmother. I think it'd be good for me.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:06 am

Because she was an artist, see if a university library would want to keep them as archive material. Universities keep a lot of weird stuff.

I would not throw them out.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:19 pm

I think I've found a way out!

There's a regular in the shop who is one of those kind-of-Asperger's-syndrome people, and he has been trying and failing to write his cousin a letter of condolence in regards to her father's recent death. It's been bothering him, and he can only concentrate on math and chemistry. SO I am going to sell him the box of condolence cards and letters so he can use them to fashion a letter of his own on a similar topic. He was really psyched about it.

:clubbing:

What a weird world.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 435 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:27 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:I think I've found a way out!

There's a regular in the shop who is one of those kind-of-Asperger's-syndrome people, and he has been trying and failing to write his cousin a letter of condolence in regards to her father's recent death. It's been bothering him, and he can only concentrate on math and chemistry. SO I am going to sell him the box of condolence cards and letters so he can use them to fashion a letter of his own on a similar topic. He was really psyched about it.

:clubbing:

What a weird world.

this is a joke right?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum