Wednesday, August 31, 2016 • Evening Edition • "Shit happens here."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

When a retcon isn't a bad thing.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

john lewis hawk

Founder of The Outhouse

Postby john lewis hawk » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:53 am

I'm retconning this whole goddamn thread. Superboy-Hawk punch!!

Now, Jude's a big breasted Asian chick with dead parents.

john lewis hawk

Founder of The Outhouse

Postby john lewis hawk » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:56 am

john lewis hawk wrote:I'm retconning this whole goddamn thread. Superboy-Hawk punch!!

Superboy-Hawk-mania is running wild, brotha!!

Now, Nieto DOESN'T have herpes.

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:11 am

john lewis hawk wrote:I'm retconning this whole goddamn thread. Superboy-Hawk punch!!

But, wouldn't that mean that Jude is no longer Jude, but now a whole new character? :smt102
:P :wink:

john lewis hawk

Founder of The Outhouse

Postby john lewis hawk » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:33 am

Stephen Day wrote:
But, wouldn't that mean that Jude is no longer Jude, but now a whole new character? :smt102

You're next, boy.

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:51 am

john lewis hawk wrote:You're next, boy.

Bring it on. :x

You can create a new me with new continuity, but you can't get rid of the old me. My continuity still exits and therefore so do I. :P :wink:

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:36 am

Retcons can't change what you read in the past, but they can most definitely change how you perceive those things and how valid you consider them.

For example, I can read the original version of The Hobbit, where Gollum freely gives away the magic ring like it's not really that important. I can still have read that. But thanks to Tolkien's later retcons, I have to know that this version is not true, that in the story, this was a lie told by Bilbo so Gandalf wouldn't think this magic ring was THE ONE RING.

I can read Sherlock Holmes 'The Final Problem' and enjoy his death, but just be aware that he didn't actually die, thanks to later stories.

Continuity, like life, is full of mysteries. Stuff that's left unexplained can be uncovered, and new knowledge can always change things.

You are taking a very literal approach to things, you need to be way more flexible, not everything has to be as it first appeared.

Jack Burton

biny little tird

Postby Jack Burton » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:55 am

You start one thread about something you noticed and it turns into a 20 page+ thread about continuity.

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:43 am

Let me ask you this question Hektre

Let's say you have a character(s), like Peter Parker's parents.

Nothing is really known about these characters other than they are dead and Peter believes it is because of a car accident.

Years later it is retconned that they were actually spies and died during a mission.

in your miasma of logic and contradiction does this stand?

mrorangesoda

FROGMAN

Postby mrorangesoda » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:57 am

This thread is hilarious.
Spektre really hates authority huh? The mods are giving him free reign, but he still has to "fight the power" and act like a punk kid to anyone with an admin tag (including the guy paying for the web space he's using). If the moderators actually exercised their "police state tendencies", we'd have made it impossible for nacireman to post about the Legion long ago.

I'm hoping he's a performance poster. Otherwise, I worry for this poor 20 year old being subjected to the "scholarly theories" of a 40 year old dude who tricked her into going out.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:59 am

mrorangesoda wrote:This thread is hilarious.
Spektre really hates authority huh? The mods are giving him free reign, but he still has to "fight the power" and act like a punk kid to anyone with an admin tag (including the guy paying for the web space he's using). If the moderators actually exercised their "police state tendencies", we'd have made it impossible for nacireman to post about the Legion long ago.

Who does that sound like?

nietoperz

The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:15 am

Jubilee wrote:
Who does that sound like?

Well... you, kind of. :lol:

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:18 am

Yeah exactly I'm Spektre.

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:37 am

:lol:

Zero

Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:42 am

Haha, I see it now. He's like an embittered future version of Twig come back to enact his revenge for some imagined slights yet to occur.

Spektre

penile prisoner

Postby Spektre » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:43 am

Stephen Day wrote:

No. He did not say, "Now Jude HAS ALWAYS BEEN a big breated Asian chick...."

That would have necessitated a new Jude being created.

leave a comment with facebook