Saturday, August 27, 2016 • Evening Edition • "Cyclops was right."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Where's your outrage for Chris Lane!?!?!

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Nobama

Postby Nobama » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:34 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:The question is, what are you talking about? Who is arguing that the people that committed this crime are innocent? Seems like an open and shut case to me, which is probably why no one is talking about it. If you're complaining that the media race baits, I agree with you, but I think your reaction is the one they're looking to elicit (from people like you), and of course they want a different kind of outrage from liberals, but to the same end. Outrage = ratings. White people being mad at black people and black people being mad at white people and white people who are mad at black people being mad at other white people who are not mad at black people is precisely what the PTB want to be happening, because then you're all not paying attention to the fact that armed flying robots have the legal right to kill American citizens and the government keeps a database of every phone call you've ever made.

I mean, what is it that YOU think is the motivation for the way the media treats this stuff. Just to stick it to whitey? Why? They ARE whitey.

I'm not raging about blacks. I am not stupid and completely agree with you that the media race baits. The problem I have is that it's only ever in one direction. If they wanted to, this case would be a perfect way to race bait in the other direction. Why is it that it's a hate crime when a "white latino" kills a black yute, but not when 3 black yutes kill a white yute? The media isn't looking to elicit a response from me if they aren't even reporting the story. Well, maybe they are....if their plan is to enrage me by calling white on black crime "hate crime", but not calling black on white crime "hate crime".

I beleive the media simply wants ratings and reports the news in such a way to get the highest ratings. So, why is it then that black on white crime isn't ratings worthy, but white on black crime is? Why do people fall for such an obvious double standard? Why did everyone here go out of their minds arguing about Trayvon when it's clear that the media manipulated the entire story from the get go, but no one bats an eye or feels that Chris Lane is worthy of any discussion?
User avatar

The Beast

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby The Beast » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:37 pm

PDH wrote:
I don't see how this is an adequate response to what Frag just said. I mean, he basically hit the nail on the head: people aren't outraged by it because we don't have half the country, as well as the relevant authorities, saying that what the killers did was perfectly fine and that they should be allowed to just get away with it.

Now suppose, the kids had said that they were defending themselves because the victims looked suspicious so they followed them for a while whereupon things turned ugly and they were forced to shoot them in self defence. Now suppose, half the country said, 'fair enough' and the police agreed with them and then they completely got away with it.

Don't you think there would be an outrage, then?

Now, to make it even fairer, let's say that it turns out that the kids were right but that there was a whole period where this really wasn't obvious to a lot of people for completely understandable reasons and even the most fervent supporters of the kids would have to admit that it sure looked like a bunch of people just flat-out got away with murder.

Note what I'm NOT doing here (and I'm putting this in bold): I'm not taking a position on whether Zimmerman deserves to be in jail or not. Not because I don't have strong feelings about that but because it's irrelevant and I don't want to be accused of bias, here. If you believe that Zimmerman did nothing wrong you should still be able to see why one of these situations was much more controversial than the other.

It's because the killers are not being let off the hook, half the nation is not defending their actions and there isn't a long tradition of well-established persecution against the ethnic group to which the victim belongs. That's why.


But are the killers going to be charged for committing hate crimes by the Federal Government? I think that's what's grinding people's gears but I totally agree with Jude on this for the most part.

It's all smoke and mirrors designed to keep the 99% divided against ourselves so we can't see what the 1% is doing behind the curt...

Image
User avatar

Thunderstorm

Not a Kardashian

Postby Thunderstorm » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:45 pm

Lionel Terror wrote:I'm not raging about blacks. I am not stupid and completely agree with you that the media race baits. The problem I have is that it's only ever in one direction. If they wanted to, this case would be a perfect way to race bait in the other direction. Why is it that it's a hate crime when a "white latino" kills a black yute, but not when 3 black yutes kill a white yute? The media isn't looking to elicit a response from me if they aren't even reporting the story. Well, maybe they are....if their plan is to enrage me by calling white on black crime "hate crime", but not calling black on white crime "hate crime".

I beleive the media simply wants ratings and reports the news in such a way to get the highest ratings. So, why is it then that black on white crime isn't ratings worthy, but white on black crime is? Why do people fall for such an obvious double standard? Why did everyone here go out of their minds arguing about Trayvon when it's clear that the media manipulated the entire story from the get go, but no one bats an eye or feels that Chris Lane is worthy of any discussion?


If the media honestly reported on black crime, the 6 o'clock news would run until midnight and we wouldn't have any prime time or late night television shows.

Serious answer: They don't want to be called racist and face some sort of boycott. If they report it, they'd have to discuss it. Can you imagine the reaction to a discussion on why over a hundred black youths formed a flash mob and attacked white people? They get a lot more attention and a lot less heat for pretending that a white person saying the N-word is a national tragedy.
User avatar

Psivage

FROGMAN

Postby Psivage » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:49 pm

Chesscub wrote:
Yeah Lionel can't poke holes in the OJ comparison like he did to Nicole.



Lol. Good one.

Nobama

Postby Nobama » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:57 pm

Thunderstorm wrote:If the media honestly reported on black crime, the 6 o'clock news would run until midnight and we wouldn't have any prime time or late night television shows.

Serious answer: They don't want to be called racist and face some sort of boycott. If they report it, they'd have to discuss it. Can you imagine the reaction to a discussion on why over a hundred black youths formed a flash mob and attacked white people? They get a lot more attention and a lot less heat for pretending that a white person saying the N-word is a national tragedy.

And people should accept this and not call shenanigans on it?
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:00 pm

Lionel Terror wrote:And people should accept this and not call shenanigans on it?


You're not calling shenanigans on it though. You're playing right into it.

Nobama

Postby Nobama » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:18 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
You're not calling shenanigans on it though. You're playing right into it.

Well maybe it's coming off wrong then, because my intention is to call shenanigans on it.
User avatar

Thunderstorm

Not a Kardashian

Postby Thunderstorm » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:25 pm

Lionel Terror wrote:And people should accept this and not call shenanigans on it?


I don't think so. To me, it creates more tension, ignoring it ensures it continues, and more and more lives are destroyed (mostly the lives of people who's feelings are being protected). It's the same mentality in the media as you see here. A person was killed for no reason other than boredom, and rather than sympathy, we get a mocking thread and jokes about white people being oppressed. You can look at the Trayvon thread for the fake outrage at any insensitive joke made about that, and the respect we should have for the dead.

They don't care about people being murdered so much as they care that there's a racial (white on non-white) element to it. The Trayvon thread and others like it can go on and on about the 'tragedy' and the victim, but a thread like this you very rarely see much compassion for the victim at all.
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:30 pm

Thunderstorm wrote:
I don't think so. To me, it creates more tension, ignoring it ensures it continues, and more and more lives are destroyed (mostly the lives of people who's feelings are being protected). It's the same mentality in the media as you see here. A person was killed for no reason other than boredom, and rather than sympathy, we get a mocking thread and jokes about white people being oppressed. You can look at the Trayvon thread for the fake outrage at any insensitive joke made about that, and the respect we should have for the dead.

They don't care about people being murdered so much as they care that there's a racial (white on non-white) element to it. The Trayvon thread and others like it can go on and on about the 'tragedy' and the victim, but a thread like this you very rarely see much compassion for the victim at all.


No, you got a thread about it that said:

Hey Outhouse, where's your "Travon Martin" level outrage for Chris Lane? Huh? Why isn't there even a fucking thread here about it? The little fuckers need to be hung in public on pay per view.


You got mocking in response to that unprovoked attack on, essentially, everyone here.
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:34 pm

In other words, before there was any discussion here on the topic at all, it was framed in the context of "anyone who isn't already outraged about this is complicit in some anti-white double standard conspiracy." Perhaps, instead, a topic should have been started presenting the facts and seeing what people had to say about it.

But this thread was started with the assumption that the lines were already drawn and this was a racial issue comparable to the Zimmerman/Martin thing, despite the cases being fairly dissimilar other than the victim being young. In other words, "you're" engaging in the same hyperbole the media does, and arguing everything within the us vs. them framework they've created.

Are the results any surprise?
User avatar

Thunderstorm

Not a Kardashian

Postby Thunderstorm » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:42 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
No, you got a thread about it that said:



You got mocking in response to that unprovoked attack on, essentially, everyone here.


Yeah but he has a point. There's very rarely a post about these kinds of things, no matter how horrible they might be. Not just here, but really anywhere. It's why you get a post like this in the first place. And you are right that it's all part of the manipulation, but other than calling it out, what can you do?
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:46 pm

Thunderstorm wrote:
Yeah but he has a point. There's very rarely a post about these kinds of things, no matter how horrible they might be. Not just here, but really anywhere. It's why you get a post like this in the first place. And you are right that it's all part of the manipulation, but other than calling it out, what can you do?


Lots of things. Write a thoughtful essay about it. Talk to other people calmly and try to get them to see your point of view. Hand out flyers. Start a twitter account and start calling the media out on their bias? Make prank phone calls to radio talk shows to make them look foolish. Strap a bomb to your chest and blow up a building. There's a million things you could technically do that would be more effective than yelling at Outhouse posters, which is bound to lead to exactly what happened in this thread, namely, "the same old song and dance."
User avatar

Thunderstorm

Not a Kardashian

Postby Thunderstorm » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:50 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
Lots of things. Write a thoughtful essay about it. Talk to other people calmly and try to get them to see your point of view. Hand out flyers. Start a twitter account and start calling the media out on their bias? Make prank phone calls to radio talk shows to make them look foolish. Strap a bomb to your chest and blow up a building. There's a million things you could technically do that would be more effective than yelling at Outhouse posters, which is bound to lead to exactly what happened in this thread, namely, "the same old song and dance."


The Outhouse: Less effective, but slightly safer than blowing yourself up.
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:51 pm

I mean, here's a different OP, IMO:



"Hey, did you guys hear about this story? Here's a link. It's similar to the Trayvon Martin case because the victim was a kid, though the circumstances surrounding it are different in a lot of ways. I find it sad that this story doesn't get the kind of sensational media coverage that the Martin story did. Why does the media seem to have such a racially charged agenda? I'd appreciate your thoughts."



I mean, look, I'm not telling people how to post, and there's no guarantee something levelheaded wouldn't ALSO evolve into slapfight, but the OP in this thread started out "joining the slapfight currently in progress," so to then complain about people's reaction afterward is dubious. That's all.
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:51 pm

Thunderstorm wrote:
The Outhouse: Less effective, but slightly safer than blowing yourself up.


I never said it was safer.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexa [Bot], Earth-2 NoctourneM, FaceBook [Linkcheck], Google [Bot], Grayson, Grayson_Wayne_72, Stephen Day and 44 guests